Subscriber Discussion

Latest Ubiquiti Camera Models?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Mar 31, 2017

First - I love this site, everything about it. However, I noticed the calculator only has the older model Ubiquiti IP cameras. I realize that a lot of integrators don't run to UBNT for IP camera installations, but if the brand is in the calculator, it would be nice to have the latest (gen 3) versions available. Possible? Anything I can do to help?

Ethan Ace
Mar 31, 2017

Thanks for pointing that out. I just added the G3 models.

It's true that most integrators don't use the UBNT cameras, but there are only two of them after all, and obviously it wasn't much of a project to get them added. Let me know if you see any issues with them.

(1)
CM
Corey McCormick
Mar 31, 2017

Thank you Ethan.  I was just going to ask for the same thing.  :-)

It is great that the Camera finder and the Calculator use the same database.

I did have some other questions about the Calculator...

Using the calculator seems like it could be a very useful asset, but I was having some issues and I was wondering if there were any workarounds or fixes available.

1. When laying out overlapping camera fields of view, the active (green) camera often cannot be “touched” because the layering of the fields prevents getting to the one it thinks is below. It seems like either the active camera should be floated to the top of the stack, or there should be a way to tag one camera and “move to top of stack” or “move to bottom of stack”.  This happens with both Chrome and even IE11.  This also breaks the ppf display since it no longer tracks the active camera and cursor position.
  2. When using the Google base map, the zoom level is not great enough to lay out smaller field area maps like individual properties or lots less than about 500 feet with goo accuracy/resolution.If I am laying out something as large as the road example in the demo video, the zoom factor might be enough. However when the project example is in the server dozens of feet to a couple of hundred feet square or so, more zoom factor is needed. I know the Google base map is not perfectly detailed at that level, but still it is better than not zooming in any more. It would be better to at least be able to choose for myself how much graininess is acceptable.
  3. How can a custom camera be added to the list for cameras not included already? It would be great to be able to enter the relevant parameters, CCD imager size, resolution, IR range, lens zoom range, etc… Even uploading a PNG/BMP/JPG could work… You would get to know what cameras are most popular to be added and we can actually configure cameras you haven’t had time to add so far.

Thank you again.

(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #2
Jan 03, 2019

Hello Ethan,

Not sure if it was better to revive this thread, or start a new one, but since I am in the exact same boat as the OP, I though it best to perform some necromancy.

That aside, much like the OP, I love this as a resource for surveillance equipment, but I noticed your coverage of Ubiquiti products was lacking. Since this original post, Ubiquiti has updated products (UVC-G3 is now UVC-G3-PRO) and added new cameras (UVC-G3-FLEX). They also have a NVR I'm quite curious about.

It would be great to see you guys cover the Ubiquiti products in more detail, and possibly even conduct a test or two on them (I love reading through your test reports).

MM
Michael Miller
Jan 03, 2019

Besides price what has you interested in UBNT cameras? UBNT is a proprietary solution with very limited camera options and those cameras lack most basic features that most IP cameras have.  Not much interest from professional installers. 

(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #2
Jan 03, 2019

Good to know, and thanks for the information Michael.

Little background, I come from IT service provider side of things and I had a client who used the Ubiquiti networking gear looking into installing a surveillance system. They came to me asking about the Ubiquiti cameras. 

I will admit I'm no professional installer, but I wanted to at least direct the client in the right direction. My research into surveillance cameras eventually lead me here.

(1)
Ethan Ace
Jan 03, 2019

We released a test of the G3 Flex recently. Not sure if we will test other cameras. We may test the new NVR at some point, but we haven't made it priority at this point.

Like Michael says, the proprietary nature of Ubiquiti is a key limitation. A lot of installers effectively ignore them because of it. We've asked Ubiquiti multiple times about adding ONVIF conformance but they haven't released any plans.

UE
Undisclosed End User #2
Jan 03, 2019

Thanks for the quick reply Ethan.

The proprietary nature of Ubiquiti as a limitation is good to know, and something I wasn't aware of. I appreciate you bringing it up. I'm pretty new to the surveillance world, so these are helpful things to be aware of (and look out for in the future).

Out of curiosity, if the Ubiquiti cameras are not widely accepted in the professional installer sphere (for the reasons stated), what market are they aiming for? Home and/or SOHO? More or less, I'm wondering what applications they are good for, so if the topic comes up again I can discuss it with a client.

JH
John Honovich
Jan 03, 2019
IPVM

Ubiquiti's video surveillance best fit is for existing Ubiquiti users who want to add in basic surveillance managed in the single Ubiquiti platform. If you don't already use Ubiquiti or you do but need advanced imaging, analytic or integration options, stronger options generally elsewhere.

Related post: Ubiquiti Protect Video Surveillance Profile

(2)
UE
Undisclosed End User #2
Jan 03, 2019

Thanks for pointing me to that article, wish I hadn't missed it (as it basically answered my question).

As an IT guy who just got exposed to the surveillance world, my mind is kinda blown. Whole lot of information to learn here. 

Anyways, thanks for the feedback, and answering my naive questions.

JH
Jay Hobdy
Jan 03, 2019
IPVMU Certified

We install a fair amount of these cameras for one particular client, ONLY because it is their standard and they pay their bills on time.

I would highly suggest looking at another camera line.

CM
Corey McCormick
Mar 31, 2017

I just found the sticky posting for the Calculator issues.  I do not see a way to edit or move this to the other thread where it might fit better.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions