Subscriber Discussion

Laser IR PTZ Experiences?

JF
Jose Fernandez
Dec 12, 2016

Dear IPVM Team and members, does anyone have experience with the use of Laser IR PTZ SpeedDome?

I noticed that Hik and Dahua has recently launch this type of camera and I really want to know real coverage and also how does the IR laser beam react on near field (3m) if the images get burned or not.

I also need to know if the IR laser beam has lens in order to gets wide open or close according to Zoom motorization of the camera sensor.

I would appreciate for your comments!!

JH
John Honovich
Dec 12, 2016
IPVM

Gustavo, we have not tested any laser IR PTZs but we should.

Ethan, all, can we summarize what options exist in the market to consider for testing?

Anyone with experience with these PTZs, let us know.

(2)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Dec 12, 2016

I cannot say too much about the operation of the laser on the camera as we did not get that far. The warnings that come with these cameras are scary (cannot be within a certain distance from the camera or you risk burns etc.) which made us wary of the possible harm that could be done during installation. Wondering if anything changed.

(1)
Ethan Ace
Dec 12, 2016

I believe they all still have those warnings. The laser PTZs I've seen have big yellow DANGER: LASER stickers on them.

Ethan Ace
Dec 12, 2016

The main options are from the big Asian manufacturers:

They all claim 500m IR range. Uniview appears to have shorter range IR LEDs, not just the laser, which should help mitigate overexposure instead of using the laser for all ranges.

And yes, the laser changes angle, from what I see. They all claim it follows zoom angle.

(1)
JF
Jose Fernandez
Dec 14, 2016

Ethan,

Many of the promotional videos/spec of hik and dahua laser PTZ are done consider in not real night or 0 lux conditions.

I guess it's necessary to do a couple of Lab Test like you always do, in a controllable condition for real coverage analysis.

Also it will become very important to understand how does the laser beam reacts depending on the optic zoom level: by varying beam angle and/or laser power.

Rg!

U
Undisclosed #2
Dec 12, 2016

I have used both the hik and dahua laser ptz. The strength on the laser ir adjusts depending on zoom length.

There have also been no problems looking at objects that were only a few metres away as the IR strength adjusts.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Dec 12, 2016
IPVM

#2, any sense on market uptake of IR laser PTZs? Popular? Niche?

I don't see them advertised / marketed that often.

U
Undisclosed #2
Dec 13, 2016

The best application i have seen was on a cattle farm. They installed a number of Laser PTZ so they could view the cattle at long distances.

I guess they could be used in other farm applications where there are high value livestock there.

Large factories and car parks could also benefit from using these long distance IR PTZ cameras.

I dont believe these cameras are a huge seller but when there is an application that can benefit from long distance IR these are perfect.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Dec 12, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Dahua claims 600m IR laser in this video

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Dec 14, 2016

Doesn't Axis have one too now? Does the Q6055-E fit this description?

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Dec 14, 2016
IPVM

#4, the Axis one uses a laser for focusing, not for illumination. See: Axis Laser Focus PTZ Tested (Q6155-E)

(2)
(1)
JH
John Honovich
Nov 04, 2018
IPVM

I am bumping this discussion. In the past 2 years, we have heard little from either the manufacturer promoting these Laser IR PTZs nor from people using them. Does anyone have any experience or insight into these cameras?

JH
John Honovich
Nov 04, 2018
IPVM

Interesting, the Hikvision DS-2DF8836I5V-AELW Laser IR PTZ that Ethan mentioned in his comment 2 years ago has been discontinued:

And the listed replacement model, the DS-2DF8836IX-AELW is a regular IR illuminator PTZ, not a Laser one.

JH
John Honovich
Nov 25, 2018
IPVM

Update: Hikvision pointed out there is a currently available Laser IR PTZ, this one an 8MP model - DS-2DF8836I5X-AEL(W), same 500m Laser IR specification:

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Nov 05, 2018

We have used the Dahua unit for a highway and also for long stretches of beach without any issues.  The cameras were installe in towers or 24 ft poles and no incindents have been recorded regarding burns or issues.  The advertised distance of 500 m seems real from what we have seen.  The beam adjusts to the distance and also the laser can be turned off from the camera settings.

(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions