Subscriber Discussion

Knightscope New K1 Unit Will Not Drown Or Run Over Children

Brian Karas
Aug 22, 2017
IPVM

The "K1" is a stationary unit, which bills for $43,000/year in the standard format, or $61,000 with their "concealed weapon detection" capability (still in development) and radiation detection.

Knightscope K1 Release

No details on range, how it deals with large groups of people entering, how it is powered, etc.

But, at least it cannot drive itself into a fountain, so it has that going for it. 

(1)
(1)
(1)
(5)
CH
Chris Hammond
Aug 22, 2017

The base model sounds like a lot of money for a camera with on board video analytics and two way audio but, still cheaper than a human I guess. 

Brian Karas
Aug 22, 2017
IPVM

When you are talking about a stationary installation like this, I do not think you can realistically compare it to a human (though Knightscope may attempt to do so).

For this setup, it is going to be compared to PTZs, fixed cameras, thermal cameras, non-thermal options like ThruVis or Evolv, etc. 

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Aug 22, 2017

I detect something that's not too exciting... it holds cameras, intercom and sensors in a selfie and vandal-friendly package. BTW, it's the non-concealed weapons that concern me most. Can it detect

(3)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Aug 22, 2017

I wonder if it will sound like Kit the car or Rosie on the Jetsons?

JH
John Honovich
Aug 23, 2017
IPVM

A robot that does not move? I am seriously confused. Someone help me.

(4)
U
Undisclosed #3
Aug 23, 2017
IPVMU Certified

It replaces one snoozing security guard.

(1)
(5)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #7
Sep 05, 2017

Hi John, I totally agree. The people are lost in the woods at Knightscope and they do not even know they are in the woods; yet know what a tree is. (very bad video analytic joke)

That said, and having read your love for Knightscope and or robotic's for that matter. I'll throw myself and company into the line of fire. 

Here's the tease...  Email me and we can talk... tom at turingvideo.com

https://vimeo.com/232433367/2675bcd9e2

JH
John Honovich
Sep 05, 2017
IPVM

Tom, looks interesting. Brian Karas will reach out to you. Also, I would embed your video but it does not seem like you enabled that on Vimeo.

Finally, I don't hate robots. I find the approach Knightscope taking to be harmful for robotics and people who actually care about technology rather than entertainment.

(1)
U
Undisclosed
Sep 06, 2017

You took the time to make that cute video about your day-of-the-triffids riff and you don't even have an https version of your web site.  Call back when you learn how to spell crypto.  You're spending your money in the wrong places.  Take the amazon account away from the marketing vp.

U
Undisclosed #3
Aug 23, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Just don't bump it.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Aug 23, 2017

A stationary unit seems like a hard sell.  I know guard companies are always trying to make their recurring revenue source autonomous but I cannot see how a stationary unit will sell much.  The "wow" factor is eliminated.

At this point they are one step away from just selling metal detectors.

(2)
Joseph Parker
Aug 23, 2017

They've been drowning children?

(3)
Brian Karas
Aug 23, 2017
IPVM

Give them time, still early.

(5)
Joseph Parker
Aug 23, 2017

I think their design inspiration was a weeble wobble on a diet.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Aug 23, 2017

Which is more capable?

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Aug 23, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Knightscope responds:

(1)
(4)
Brian Karas
Aug 23, 2017
IPVM

If this whole robots thing does not work out, they have a good shot at just making scale versions of these products for their own line of action figures. Maybe even spin that into a cartoon crime-fighter show.

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #7
Sep 06, 2017

Great sales strategy... Now they can unload 2 units!  That's true Robot as a Service as a Service  or RaaSaaS.

(1)
Randall Raszick
Aug 23, 2017

I see that the time-honored sport of cow tipping is ready to step into the modern age.

(1)
(3)
U
Undisclosed
Aug 23, 2017

clearly they heard my snarky comment about the other model asking if it looks fat.

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #5
Aug 24, 2017

So, it's basically a camera housing, right?  It's a shiny box with several cameras and sensors running edge analytics.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Aug 24, 2017

That's a simplistic example to a very complex and sophisticated piece of security hardware and software.

It's a static positioned image capturing device. 

(2)
(5)
Brian Rhodes
Aug 24, 2017
IPVMU Certified

You apparently have a future in Sales & Marketing.

(2)
U
Undisclosed
Aug 24, 2017
Not that it hasn't been said before, but there are security concerns: https://ioactive.com/alerts/robotics-hacking-research.html Note: If you're considering robots and you're talking to vendors, ask them how they respond to something like the IOActive article. Yes, I AM worried that Knightscope is the kind of company that might be shipping it's operating system in wide-open debug mode. (Yo, vendors, if you're better than that, feel free to follow up to assure us all....)
(1)
(4)
UD
Undisclosed Distributor #6
Sep 02, 2017

L.

U
Undisclosed #3
Sep 06, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Amazon enters the standing bot market with the Alexa Amazonian ;)

(1)
(3)
U
Undisclosed #8
Sep 09, 2017

Concealed weapons detection or explosives detection... When 2020?  how can you use that as legitimate fundraising content?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions