Subscriber Discussion

Just Ask The "Security Marketing Guru"?

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Mar 16, 2016

This website popped up in my Google Results. After opening it, I had to smile. The Security Marketing Guru, Bob Maunsell, is also a contributing writer for SD&I. Has anybody bought these "smokin'" security marketing kits? If so, thoughts?

Because he is such a "nice guy", he will throw in some bonus material. Example below

Bonus #3: My Brass Balls Personal Guarantee and my Personal Super Strength Guarantee – These two pieces are the “Haymaker” for closing commercial and residential alarm systems. These guarantees make a promise to your prospects that is so powerful and so persuasive, that it breaks down the walls of resistance, creates a strong sensation of trust, and instantly puts your prospects at ease with you.

Commercial Marketing Kit by the Security Marketing Guru

Residential Marketing Kit by the Security Marketing Guru

Home Page of the Security Marketing Guru

JH
John Honovich
Mar 16, 2016
IPVM

I get his free emails and we talked on the phone once. He seems like a nice guy, passionate about security sales, etc.

As for his kits, I am not his target market but his over the top sales style makes me nervous (see the newsletter sales page). Also, the first month is $19.95 but after that it's $97 per month, which strikes me as pricy.

You can also get half hour phone calls with him for $250....

(2)
BM
Bob Maunsell
Mar 16, 2016

Hi Undisclosed User,

You can certainly read what Security Dealers & Integrators think about our products and services by visiting our Trustimonials Page.

Our ideal clients are Security Entreprenuers or Owners/Presidents of Security Companies. We work the best with these folks because they have a direct oversight and connection with their businesses and have the desire and ambition to take their businesses to the next level.

Being an IPVM member, I'm assuming you provide integrated commercial security systems. There are a few marketing strategies that we regularly see that are lacking within the industry. These strategies can make a HUGE difference in your business. They are: A formal Referral System, a quarterly paper-and-ink Client Newsletter (educating, soft-sell your services & referral generating) and a monthly client eNewletter (newsworthy, soft selling & referral generating). Also, a Shock & Awe testimonial book (that prove your expertise & worth).

If you need anything, feel free to call my office at 508-835-1123 or email us at Support@SecurityMarketingGuru.com if you need any help attracting new clients and increasing conversions.

Thanks

Bob

(2)
U
Undisclosed #3
Mar 16, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Und. Bob, where did you get your balls?

Ever since seeing GGGR I've been looking to pick up a set, but I am concerned about build quality. Any tips?

(1)
(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Mar 17, 2016

Bob,

I could buy a similar commercial security marketing kit from Amelia (Or from a Beth or April located in the GuangDong Province), who works in a suite in an industrial park in Guangzhou, China for $29.99 and a free sample. What makes your kit better than there's? Do you offer a Net 60?

HOW TO ORDER…

Your investment for this smokin’ “Safe & Secure” Inspection Marketing Kit is: $897 (with FREE Shipping)

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Mar 16, 2016

Egad. So this is where the Wolf of Wall Street landed. If it works for you, run with it. Personally, I thought that "Glengary Glen Ross" was a cautionary tale, not a how-to.

(3)
JH
John Honovich
Mar 17, 2016
IPVM

Personally, I thought that "Glengary Glen Ross" was a cautionary tale, not a how-to.

U4, Your name's Levine? You call yourself a salesman you son of a bitch?

(5)
U
Undisclosed #3
Mar 17, 2016
IPVMU Certified

"First prize is a Cadillac, second prize is a set of steak knives, third prize is a Hikvision HD dome and whip kit." (Collective groan.)

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #5
Mar 17, 2016

PUT that coffee DOWN! Coffee is for closers...and apparently for people selling shady "methods" for "making" your prospects trust you.

How about you just educate yourself on your product, listen to your customers' needs, and then see if you can offer a solution that honestly fits those needs? Crazy idea for building trust, I know.

Ugh.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Mar 17, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I was wondering, is there a shorter version of the message available? ;)

(3)
Ryan Anderson
Mar 19, 2016

Geez, go easy guys :) IPVM is quickly becoming the Reddit of the security world. It would be really nice if we all weren't so presumptuous.

With that being said, I receive Bob's newsletters in the mail and they are fun to read. Sometimes the information really hits home and other times it doesn't apply. Nonetheless, if you have some needs, Bob either has an idea or has some resources. He really focuses on things like referrals, robotic and automatic sales, along with the old school way of doing business and taking care of people.

The saying used to go something like "Don't knock it until you try it". Be nice everybody!

JH
John Honovich
Mar 19, 2016
IPVM

Ryan, so do you pay the $97 a month or are these the free newsletters?

Ryan Anderson
Mar 19, 2016

I pay monthly for his newsletters.

JH
John Honovich
Mar 19, 2016
IPVM

Ryan, you pay $97 then a month? Does he include personal consultation or what do you get to justify $97 a month?

Ryan Anderson
Mar 19, 2016

You should ask Bob what's included!

but yes, you get newsletters, emails, tips, group calls with other business owners, etc

JH
John Honovich
Mar 19, 2016
IPVM

Ryan, Looking at the newsletter sign up page, the testimonials are from 2009, 2010 and 2013 plus the website style is dated, so it is hard to know what exactly is current. Since you are the first person we have heard from that uses it now, I am trying to understand more specifically the benefits you receive.

That said, I'd love to hear Bob's answer and since this is now a resource on his service, Bob can show us all how good a salesman he is by overcoming these objections, no?

Ryan Anderson
Mar 19, 2016

I guess you could be brash, but remember he is a paid client of yours as well.

Bob owns a security business and he helps market in our industry. He isn't for everyone but has some out of the box ideas that also help us think outside the box too.

When is is the last time you asked a client for referrals? Are they robotic, or do you have to physically ask? What is your net promoter score? Would your clients refer you? How do you know, because you received a referral last month?

The condescending attitudes on this website make it hard to be a contributing member regularly. All of these folks knocking somebody because a guys website or picture.

It just rubs me the wrong way too often.

JH
John Honovich
Mar 19, 2016
IPVM

I guess you could be brash, but remember he is a paid client of yours as well.

Bob? I gave Bob a free month so he could respond. Either way, I would answer the same.

All of these folks knocking somebody because a guys website or picture.

Anyone offering sales advice is going to be judged on how they sell themselves. No one knocked Bob because of his looks or because he's a Patriots fan. They knocked him because they did not like his sales style.

Maybe these guys are wrong and they should adopt Bob sales style to make more money. Or maybe Bob should refine his approach, update his website and he would make more money.

As for contributing, you raise a good point. It is a tough balance. Overall, I believe that allowing people to be critical about business points (like sales techniques) makes for a better IPVM.

My advice to you is to simply share the positives as the best way to overcome those who are critical. Thanks for contributing!

U
Undisclosed #3
Mar 19, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Bob? I gave Bob a free month so he could respond.

When it seemed Bob was already a paying IPVM member, I definitely was surprised and impressed that someone who was so focused on maximizing revenue and smoking the competition would pay hundreds of $ for such a purely informational and fiercely anti-promotional site as IPVM. Before that he was just another internet marketer/mentor to me.

And trust me, had I thought he was new to the site I wouldn't have been so snarky.

To be fair, the fact that he actually wasn't a member already shouldn't he counted against him now, as may not have known much about the site before.

But it will be certainly be to his credit if he continues on IPVM, and I look forward to his contributions.

(1)
BM
Bob Maunsell
Mar 19, 2016

U3,

Thanks!

Michael Silva
Mar 19, 2016
Silva Consultants

The $97 a month is actually a modest amount when compared to what salespeople in other industries pay for "coaching" of this type. For example, in the real estate world, some agents pay Mike Ferry as much as $1,000 per month for his premier program, and must make at least a 12 month commitment to the program.

Sales are absolutely vital to the success of any enterprise and I think that most security/surveillance integrators aren't proactive enough when it comes to the sales process. Many people who start integration businesses come from a technical background and lack skills in the area of sales and marketing. A knowledgeable coach can definitely help to fill this void.

I have no problem with proactive and sometimes even aggressive marketing techniques so long as they don't cross the line into unethical behavior. I do take issue when something like Bob's "73 Point Safety & Security Audit" is presented to the consumer as an objective assessment of their security needs, when in fact this "diabolical" tool is designed to "fatten the wallet" of the salesperson and be "the goose that lays the golden eggs...." (Bob's words, not mine...)

(1)
(1)
BM
Bob Maunsell
Mar 19, 2016

Hi Michael,

I apperciate the comment. BTW you have a great educational based website, that really provides awesome information.

BM
Bob Maunsell
Mar 19, 2016

Hi John,

Just like Ryan said you get email templates, client newsletters, group coaching calls, audio success CD’s, private one-on-one calls, and handouts and strategies for closing more sales, and engaging your clients after the sale, and from other successful security entrepreneurs from around the world all for $97.00 per month with my Smokin’ Security Newsletter Coaching Program.

It has tremendous value for what you get. It would cost the business owner a lot more to have a marketing person in house creating this collateral for them.

Like Ryan, said I have own my security integration business for the last 22 years. Which makes me different then the other consultants in the security industry. I know what it was like to have no clients, no techs, no payroll, and no RMR. It sucked… So I immersed myself in learning sales and marketing, and the started a marketing business to help out other dealers & integrators.

I’m not for everyone our ideal clients are. We work the best with these folks because they have a direct oversight and connection with their businesses and have the desire and ambition to take their businesses to the next level.

My website is getting a new wordpress theme update in the coming months, along with more testimonials.

Thanks

JH
John Honovich
Mar 19, 2016
IPVM

"you get... private one-on-one calls .... all for $97.00 per month"

To clarify, though, you get a 15 minute call once every 6 months, according to your documentation.

"It would cost the business owner a lot more to have a marketing person in house creating this collateral for them."

I certainly accept that. But, as to Michael's point, the concern of many people is the very aggressive sales technique, like getting 'private one-on-one calls' without mentioning the fine print of it being just once every 6 months. If your collateral is like your that and your web copy, many not want to use it.

In any event, I do not feel strongly for or against this but since Ryan felt we were being unfair, I did want to make clear that a person who sells sales advice is going to be judged on how they sell. And that is what this discussion is about.

BM
Bob Maunsell
Mar 19, 2016

John,

I can't help it if you don't like my sales copy, you don't have to read it.

(1)
(2)
JH
John Honovich
Mar 19, 2016
IPVM

I can't help it if you don't like my sales copy, you don't have to read it.

Bob,

Seriously, if you are a real 'marketing guru' or 'sales guru', you would have a better answer than that.

You have an opportunity here to sell your service to an extremely well qualified group of people who already pay money for information.

Win us to your side, right?

(1)
BM
Bob Maunsell
Mar 19, 2016

John,

You "gifted" me a 1 month membership on your site, which was touted as a resource center. I certainly would not consider this venue to be a place to sell my products and services, nor do I pitch my services in external venues. Yes, my site is salesy, but it's my site and it works for me.

What I like to concentrate on in external venues is to educate security dealers on how to market their security businesses. As Undefined 3 mentioned, your membership site is a "purely informational and fiercely anti-promotional site as IPVM." So I'm not here to pitch my products and services. But I am happy to answer marketing and business building questions and that's what I thought your venue (with over 3,000+ articles, 300+ test results and 5,000+ discussions) was all about. Not a slug fest.

Sorry, but I am going to hold firm to my answer above. I'm not for everybody and folks that don't like my style should certainly look elsewhere.

John, I also wanted to point out one other thing - you mentioned aggressive sales techniques two posts above...

"very aggressive sales technique, like getting 'private one-on-one calls' without mentioning the fine print of it being just once every 6 months. If your collateral is like your that and your web copy, many not want to use it."

I'm not sure what you meant about fine print, but if you go to the description/order page for the club you're talking about, here is what is clearly stated for what's included in the club prior to ordering. You'll see this listed below the 3rd paragraph on the page.

**Please note the 4th bullet down. No fine print about it.**

My Smokin’ Newsletter™ Coaching Club Membership Includes:

• A subscription to my monthly Smokin’ Security Newsletter™ that’s packed to the gills with relationship-building, security marketing strategies designed to supply you with a steady stream of security clients that Pay, Stay and Refer! (Priceless!)
  • Bi-Monthly audio success CDs, including interviews with world-famous entrepreneurs and marketing and security experts, where you’ll discover their valuable insider secrets to success! ($197 value each)
  • A coaching program with 60 minute, bi-monthly group calls, where we discuss the security marketing strategies and techniques, included in the Smokin’ Security Newsletter™, and how to successfully implement them in your security business to make maximum profits. You will also learn what selling tactics other security installers are successfully using to increase sales and installations in their security businesses. ($375 value each)
  • Twice per year, you will get a 15 minute one-on-one, personal coaching call where we will discuss business-building marketing techniques personalized for your specific needs. ($125 value each)
  • A Done-for-you quarterly client newsletter, called Service That Soars™. This newsletter is the most powerful prospecting, stay-in-contact, business-building, referral-producing tool on the planet! ($150 value each)
  • Live, monthly direct response security marketing pieces, included in the Smokin’ Security Newsletter™, that you can use in your security business to generate lots more clients and close more installations, each and every month. (worth thousands of dollars each…just call your local marketing design firm and see how much they’d charge!)
  • Full membership to my exclusive Smokin’ Security Marketing Membership Site where you’ll have complete access to all of our videos, audios and special marketing reports. Full access is granted in your second month of membership. (Priceless!)

John, I have yet to get a taste of IPVM. I'm a constant student of learning. With your free month gift, I thought I could come in and learn some cool stuff on video surveillance - and certainly not to pitch or sell my wares. But, so far, all I'm able to do is answer mostly condescending questions. It seems like that is the aura on this site. As Ryan put it, "The condescending attitudes on this website make it hard to be a contributing member regularly."

If anyone has a security marketing or business-building question, fire away. If not, and you're all still into continuing along with a slug fest, John, please delete the free month membership you gifted me. It's not worth it.

Thanks,

Bob

(3)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Mar 19, 2016
IPVMU Certified

As Undefined 3 mentioned...

FYI, I default to 'integer' at runtime.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #6
Mar 19, 2016

+1

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Mar 19, 2016
IPVM

Bob,

Have you never dealt with objections before? Are objections a 'slug fest'? I am genuinely disappointed. I thought a guru like yourself would win us over with your charm, wit, technique, etc.

An IPVM member directly asked about your service. Other IPVM members commented on it. In this context you are, and were, certainly encouraged repeatedly to make your case.

Now, you said, in this discussion:

you get email templates, client newsletters, group coaching calls, audio success CD’s, private one-on-one calls, and handouts and strategies for closing more sales, and engaging your clients after the sale, and from other successful security entrepreneurs from around the world all for $97.00 per month with my Smokin’ Security Newsletter Coaching Program.

I pointed out rightly that your claim is misleading since you obscured that you just get a 15 minute phone call once every 6 months which is so short and infrequent to have extremely little use.

As for IPVM, and you being a constant student of learning, you seem way more focused on being criticized that actually learning.

But to net it out for you, in your style, just 3 points:

(1)
(2)
U
Undisclosed #3
Mar 19, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I did want to make clear that a person who sells sales advice is going to be judged on how they sell. And that is what this discussion is about.

Specifically, it's about Maunselling...

(2)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #5
Mar 19, 2016

To follow up on my previous, sarcastic comment: I am sure Bob is a great guy and I respect anyone running a business and making their own way. My main gripe stems from the fact that there is such a negative connotation to the sales profession in general, and the tone of the Security Marketing Guru's messaging absolutely reinforces the stereotype. Positioning yourself (even just in your own mind and not outwardly to your customer) as trying to "make" people trust you or spend more money sets the wrong attitude for providing honest, upstanding work. I'd rather see someone make a program with the same marketing and leads-based tactics but with a focus on learning how to listen to the customer and provide a solution that helps them.

(2)
U
Undisclosed #7
Mar 20, 2016

(1)
Matt Leonard
Mar 20, 2016

Im not a customer of Bob's sales and marketing, I'm actually a competitor on the integration side of his business. While I don't like to promote the competition, but Bob is a stand-up guy. I think it's easy too easy to bash people with the anonymity of web message boards. Im sure his methods and coaching work well for some people and don't for others, but putting him on the spot and having to justify his offerings without first hand experience is cold. I just wanted to chime in and offer my own first hand experience, bash me if you want.

(6)
Ryan Anderson
Mar 20, 2016

Well said Matt, much respect to you!

JH
John Honovich
Mar 20, 2016
IPVM

Matt,

Thanks for the feedback. I believe you about Bob in person.

On the other hand, it is pretty clear that many people read Bob's sales pitch for his own sales pitch offering as being not 'stand-up'. I am not being anonymous and I think if Bob was really good at sales, he would be able to better handle / address these objections.

(1)
Ryan Anderson
Mar 20, 2016

His website is securitymarketingguru.com, not securitysalesguru.com :)

This is quickly becoming a pissing match.

Goto his website, if something resonates with you, check it our further. If you don't like it or its not for you, I guess you can goto IPVM.com and post condescending comments anonymously.

I've been receiving newsletters for sometime now. Its nice to get a packet in the mail, that I get to open up, put my fingers on, read, touch, and learn a bit about marketing outside the box. Some of his stuff helps me think "Hey, We have been doing that" or "I'd like to implement something like this" while others are "Thats way left field and not for me".

So as I understand, you or somebody put him on blast, gifted him a 30 day membership, and he is supposed to feel welcome and at ease describing a service that obviously people pay and continue to pay for?

Seems a bit backwards to me!

(3)
JH
John Honovich
Mar 20, 2016
IPVM

"as I understand, you or somebody put him on blast"

You understand wrongly.

First, I did not post this discussion nor did anyone at IPVM. A regular member, just like you, posted this. I have no idea why he posted it nor what his intentions was but the OP was certainly not blasting him.

I gave Bob a free month's membership so he could answer any questions directly. I gave it to Bob as soon as I saw the discussion posted, before anyone 'blast'ed anyone.

To conclude, I respect your opinion Ryan and you are entitled to say it on IPVM and 'blast' me. I also respect other members to give their opinion.

The fact that we can actually debate things and get different conflicting perspectives is a value to me.

Rian Schermerhorn
Mar 20, 2016

I agree with all you've said here, John, and for the most part, I appreciate the way you and your staff handle discussion and commentary. That said, don't you feel that sometimes folks can be a bit disrespectful and a little too harsh too quickly?

i love this site and pay for it with my own money...have loved it for years. And sometimes, there are people / companies that absolutely warrant harsh responses due to their irresponsible rhetoric or behavior. In this case, it seems like Bob was attacked a little too much by the community when there are clearly folks out there, Ryan included, that value what Bob offers at the price he charges. One thing for certain is that if it didn't produce positive results for those paying so much, they wouldn't continue to utilize his service.

No disrepect intended here at all, but I think we all, as the IPVM community, need to remember that there are many ideas out there and for the most part it's up to us to represent ourselves and Each other in a productive, respectful way.

Just my thoughts...

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Mar 20, 2016
IPVM

don't you feel that sometimes folks can be a bit disrespectful and a little too harsh too quickly?

Rian, thanks for the feedback.

Let's review what members said:

Undisclosed: So this is where the Wolf of Wall Street landed. If it works for you, run with it. Personally, I thought that "Glengary Glen Ross" was a cautionary tale, not a how-to.

Undisclosed: PUT that coffee DOWN! Coffee is for closers...and apparently for people selling shady "methods" for "making" your prospects trust you.

Silva: I do take issue when something like Bob's "73 Point Safety & Security Audit" is presented to the consumer as an objective assessment of their security needs, when in fact this "diabolical" tool is designed to "fatten the wallet" of the salesperson and be "the goose that lays the golden eggs...." (Bob's words, not mine...)

Am I supposed to delete these comments?

Let's be fair: The Glengarry responses are a direct response to Bob labeling his bonus with a Glengarry phrase, i.e., "My Brass Balls Personal Guarantee and my Personal Super Strength Guarantee"

And when Michael Silva delivered a thoughtful and respectful critique, Bob did not address it.

I really do want thoughtful opposing points of views like yours and Ryan to feel welcomed and I am trying to balance that without stopping people on the other side from commenting.

Rian Schermerhorn
Mar 20, 2016

I'd never want you to delete comments unless they are in violation of your forum rules.

Maybe everything was fair here...I guess I was going off of my pure gut feeling, which was that it seemed a bit harsh. I'm happy to be wrong...truly.

Ryan Anderson
Mar 20, 2016

I'm sure your aware, but IPVM has way too much influence. Your team is very biased at times and completely gets in peoples heads. I think this is rather conflicting and creates a problem in that your members get on here and drink too much kool-aid. They should be getting first hand experience themselves with demonstrations, discussing with vendors/reps, sit down meetings, pilot programs, etc.

Too often somebody gets on here, understands your hate for Avigilon, and jumps on the band wagon.

I love your site, but I can't read too much at one time for this reason, nor do I try to contribute much.

(1)
(1)
JH
John Honovich
Mar 20, 2016
IPVM

Too often somebody gets on here, understands your hate for Avigilon, and jumps on the band wagon.

Point of information, Avigilon is the only manufacturer to be ranked top 5 in IPVM's camera, VMS and analytics integrator survey. If IPVM is leading a bandwagon of hate against Avigilon, we are doing a terrible job of it. And, for the record, I think quite highly of Avigilon's products but poorly of their historic marketing tactics and now 'retired'/fired regime.

Rian Schermerhorn
Mar 20, 2016

Well done, Matt.

U
Undisclosed #7
Mar 20, 2016

I'm curious how making references to Glengarry Glen Ross can be considered 'condescending' - when the underlying style being used is clearly designed to invoke these similarities - and therefore the references that follow?

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Mar 21, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Serious questions for Bob, (or anyone that knows):

Which would you consider your primary business 1) selling security systems or 2) selling how to sell security systems?

Assuming you are phenomenal at number 1, couldn't you already have created a mega-integrator, sold for millions and retired?

What do you do when facing your own local area "students" in competitive sales oppurtunities?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #8
Mar 21, 2016

Tried Bob's services. No value to us. However, we know technology and how to use Microsoft word :) His stuff wouldn't work for any commercial client bigger than a pizza restaurant. Possibly residential, but not something we cater to. And, i can see where a 40 year security veteran would see value.

(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions