Michael Miller
Aug 20, 2017
U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 20, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Interesting project.

This statement is a stretch though

By implementing the quantum computer network, China will become the first country to implement quantum technology for a real life, commercial end.

Secure quantum communications products have been commercially available for 10+ years.  For instance, MagiQ.

(1)
(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Aug 20, 2017

I agree with Undisclosed 1, the claim is misleading I think. For instance, the Australian National University has a spin-off company called quintessencelabs that is attempting to commercialize this technology. More information here: Australian Academy of Science: Using quantum optics for new technologies: Professor Hans Bachor

If I understand correctly, it is the latest (or first?) industry application of a field of research called quantum optics that has been researched in universities around the world since the 1960s. 

Hans also alludes to the fact that the military may already have their own.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Aug 20, 2017

Security expert Bruce Schneier questions how useful this technology actually is:

"The basic idea is still unbelievably cool, in theory, and nearly useless in real life." he said

“It's like defending yourself against an approaching attacker by putting a huge stake in the ground. It's useless to argue about whether the stake should be 50 feet tall or 100 feet tall, because either way, the attacker is going to go around it,” he said."

To put is in my own words, this is because all it is doing is securing the channel, which can already be made secure enough using mathematical approaches, but it doesn't help the real problem of securing the endpoints which is where most attacks are concentrated.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Aug 21, 2017
IPVM

This is part of a Chinese government PR campaign. Here is an earlier report from the SCMP: Chinese city to launch ‘unhackable’ quantum network Tests on system in Jinan in Shandong province complete and service for nearly 200 users to begin next month, state-run media report

This is far outside my expertise so not going to attempt to analyze which claims are valid or not, but that at least some of them are overstated should not be surprised given the source.

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Aug 21, 2017
U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 21, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Wow, the Great Wall really is visible from outer space ;)

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions