JFK Security Cameras Made Fun Of By Famous Youtuber

JH
John Honovich
Aug 21, 2017
IPVM

See image and tweet below:

I presume it is legit. Can anyone confirm? More importantly, anyone have any idea why they have so many cameras in such a configuration?

(4)
U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 21, 2017
IPVMU Certified

...anyone have any idea why they have so many cameras in such a configuration?

Perhaps because it's the lowest cost way to meet a generic specification, for instance something like:

"Every TSA inspection area will be covered by two dedicated cameras, one on entrance and one for exit."

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Aug 21, 2017

Ive been through JFK a few times but never saw that

Ethan Ace
Aug 21, 2017

I'm not sure if it was this one exactly, but I've seen something similar to that at JFK. 

My guess is that someone decided it was easier to run all the cables to that location than using multiple locations. For better or worse. 

Meghan Uhl
Aug 21, 2017

For deterrent benefit?  You certainly wouldn't miss seeing them and the bad guy has to ask himself when confronted with this.....is there ANYWHERE they don't have a camera pointing at me? lol

Randall Raszick
Aug 21, 2017

Only four of them work, they just keep adding cameras when one breaks! ;)

(6)
Russ Beeson
Aug 22, 2017

Is it possible that it is alternate technology. Very well could be high def IP and then potentially a thermal looking for heat signatures. Could also be as explained above zoomed in to belt and xray screen for oversight and visibility. There are 100 possible explanations. Either way I agree with the comment above the intimidation factor is high 

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Aug 23, 2017

It doesn't look like it.  They all look like the cheap Videolarm or Speco housing that was popular 10 years ago.  I think they were like $30.  I am not seeing any specialty items like Germanium which would rule out thermal.

UE
Undisclosed End User #3
Aug 22, 2017

I took this one in Singapore outside the subway station a few years back.....I was sort thought it look a bit strange but yet functional no doubt.  This was just about the same time as Panoramic Cameras started to hit the market.

(2)
(1)
SR
Samuel Rodgers
Aug 22, 2017

I think I've seen that same camera mount in Singapore and also snapped a photo, from last year.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Aug 23, 2017

Axis beat them to it:

https://www.axis.com/dk/en/products/axis-panorama

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #5
Aug 23, 2017

They better watch themselves .. Arecont might sue for patent infringement! 😀

(2)
U
Undisclosed
Aug 23, 2017

When I encountered my first camera swarm at an airport I was told it was because multiple departments had reasons to have video morning of the same spaces.  And then there's the TSA.  That "poor man's 360" second image suggests to me that someone had a bad experience with PTZ motors or someone's 360 camera being flakey.  I'd hang 27 cameras too if I had an airport security director howling at me that loss of video from their fancy-but-flakey 360 camera wasn't an option.

(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions