"IVPM Is A Self Proclaimed Garbage Heap"

JH
John Honovich
Aug 02, 2018
IPVM

We have some detractors on Facebook, here is a fascinating response:

We tested this, e.g., ADI's W Box Camera / NVR Gen 1 (Hikvision) TestedADI W-Box Dropping Hikvision, Using Sunell (Tested). And it is not rocket science to prove this.

For example, ADI shows Sunell's model number in their system, e.g.,

The new W Box cameras use the same OUI as Sunell, 00:1C:27, shown below:

T

The 'ADI' W-Box cameras and NVR were discovered using Sunell's Search Tool, shown below.

Etc., etc.

Lie Or Kept In The Dark

As for this person speaking to a 'Directir' of Residio (note: that is the new corporate name for ADI / Honeywell Home), we have no idea who he spoke to or even if he did speak to anyone there. 

However, are there really people in 2018 who do not know that either (1) manufacturers can lie or (2) manufacturer employees are kept in the dark about sensitive information like this? At least, on that point, IPVM needs to do a better job of educating the market.

(21)
(9)
(11)
U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 02, 2018

It is really unfortunate that there are so many people like him who truly believe they know what is best and are making recommendations to customers that are based on just absolute garbage data they "learned" from clueless employees of manufacturers and distributors.

(16)
SD
Shannon Davis
Aug 02, 2018
IPVMU Certified

John didn't you know that EVERYTHING said on facebook is 100% true and also the utmost authority, especially, IP video products :)

Image result for it's on facebook it must be true

(9)
(21)
JH
John Honovich
Aug 02, 2018
IPVM

We only started seriously posting and promoting on Facebook this year so it's been somewhat surprising to me how much less sophisticated and more ad hominem comments are on Facebook. LinkedIn comments, for example, are much more professional overall.

(18)
(3)
(1)
SD
Shannon Davis
Aug 02, 2018
IPVMU Certified

And for the same reason, other than IPVM, I am off all social media. There are no checks and balances on Facebook. Keep up the GREAT work John.

(13)
John Bazyk
Aug 03, 2018
Command Corporation • IPVMU Certified

how much less sophisticated and more ad hominem comments are

I've noticed the same thing, I think it's awesome that you're posting on Facebook though. It's nice to see what other people are thinking/saying. 

(3)
JH
John Honovich
Aug 03, 2018
IPVM

JB, it's been an education for me :)

(1)
(1)
John Bazyk
Aug 03, 2018

I run a Facebook group of over 10,300 people, 95% of my members are active every month. In the beginning, I had to be in the group constantly trying to elevate the conversation and make sure it didn't degrade into your typical Facebook garbage heap. After two years the group is pretty strong, every once in a while someone like this dude comes out and we deal with it but it's rare now. When I look in other facebook groups I am appalled by how awfully uncivilized people can be towards each other.

Guillermo Farfan
Aug 08, 2018
Geutebruck USA, Inc. • IPVMU Certified

I'm in Google+ for a Community and while not huge as Facebook, Twitter, etc, and definitively not free of issues, I found a lot of professionals there and a lot of professional content. BTW, no surprise of the quality content on Linkedin, it IS probably THE Social Media destination for professionals.

(3)
JH
John Honovich
Aug 08, 2018
IPVM

Guillermo, thanks!

Curious, which Google+ Community or groups are you following? I ask because I have not kept track of Google+.

Guillermo Farfan
Aug 08, 2018

I joined the Surveillance Security Systems community of 2,365 members as of today (https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/103004149924871158492)

I'm also in the Computer History Community, if you're curious enough, here is the URL:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/103850841592382927201.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Aug 08, 2018
IPVM

Guillermo, thanks. The Surveillance Security Systems community looks mostly to be spam:

Guillermo Farfan
Aug 08, 2018

Sad true, the owner/moderator(s) of that community currently are doing a poor job maintaining that community so no wonder the increase spam. Maybe I should think in creating a new community for these topics and keep it free of spams and trolls (the Computer History Community is the opposite, no spams/trolls).

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Aug 08, 2018
IPVM

Guillermo,

Do you remember LinkedIn Groups? Well, they still exist :) but not much used these days. I raise that because it's a similar problem. It's time-consuming to moderate groups, especially when it's free and there is no clear business interest so often hard to maintain.

(2)
(1)
JE
Jim Elder
Oct 13, 2021
IPVMU Certified

I tried that Google link and could not get it. Can you post it again

JH
John Honovich
Oct 13, 2021
IPVM

Jim, Google Plus was EOLed, that's why the link from 2018 does not work, related:

What happened to Google+?

In December 2018, we announced our decision to shut down Google+ for consumers in April 2019.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #15
Oct 13, 2021

it's been somewhat surprising to me how much less sophisticated and more ad hominem comments are on Facebook.

Instagram: "Hold my beer..."

(1)
Sean Patton
Aug 02, 2018

Granted I've not read EVERY article on IPVM, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have missed the "We're a Garbage Heap" report...

(3)
(20)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Aug 02, 2018

I don't think this dude understands what 'self proclaimed' means.

(9)
(5)
U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 02, 2018

I don't think this dude understands

You could have stopped there :)

(5)
(15)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Aug 02, 2018

Ha! Can you imagine JH proclaiming his own site is a garbage heap???

Apparently the dude is self proclaimed stupid, albeit, indirectly!

Sorry if this was inappropriate. Just couldn't resist. 

(1)
(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #11
Aug 08, 2018

Or how to properly spell "Directir"

JH
John Honovich
Aug 02, 2018
IPVM

Huh, he's doubling down:

Btw, in fairness to him, I believe the ADI people he is talking to have never heard of Sunell. Sunell is no household name and ADI corporate gets no benefit from publicizing that, even to their own employees.

(5)
JH
John Honovich
Aug 02, 2018
IPVM

Ok, looks like a happy ending:

The House Bill ban and a chicken sandwich, not too bad...

(1)
(15)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #9
Aug 03, 2018

So has he said when he will deliver on the Chicken Sandwich?

(1)
(2)
Jon Dillabaugh
Aug 09, 2018
Pro Focus LLC

Well, any day but Sunday...

(3)
Clint Hays
Aug 04, 2018

Most people haven't heard of the majority of manufacturing companies. We have thousands of logos and brands in our industry alone, but very few true creators of hardware and software between them.

(5)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Aug 02, 2018

These are the same type of people who believe fake news on facebook......

(3)
UD
Undisclosed Distributor #5
Aug 02, 2018

...and swear that it's the fault of those posting the fake news, not those that are foolish enough to believe it.

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #10
Aug 04, 2018

Honest Abe said “Trust Facebook, Zuckerberg is a friend”. I saw it on Instagram so it appears real. 

(4)
JH
Jay Hobdy
Aug 02, 2018
IPVMU Certified

(1)
(10)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #6
Aug 02, 2018

Seriously starting to sound like the left vs the right...politics aside. =)

(2)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Aug 02, 2018

JOHN HONOVICH hates Chinese cameras! Very biased! Doesn't he know that AXIS and SONY all have security problems too? SAD!

(1)
(3)
(2)
(18)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Aug 02, 2018

#fakenews

(4)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #7
Aug 02, 2018

You forgot to end on:

NO COLLUSION!  Total witch hunt

(7)
DF
David Fogle, CSEIP
Aug 03, 2018

Everything has problems when installed poorly, which many in the industry do since they do not care about the quality or training of their installing staff. I have seen so much work done for profit by companies only to later come in a rip it all out and start over again and do it correctly.

If you do not control the quality of your technical staff they should do us all a favor and get out of the business.

(1)
(1)
Luis Carmona
Aug 03, 2018
Geutebruck USA • IPVMU Certified

I was going to leave a comment but then I thought better of it. The level of immaturity is off the scale. As the saying goes, there's no fixing that. But it gives the trade a bad name almost as bad as used car salesman.

(1)
John Bazyk
Aug 03, 2018

Is this guy even a member?

Sean Nelson
Aug 03, 2018
Nelly's Security

I like FB advertising for our business as well but it sure does bring out the ocassional incoherent redneck who likes to comment on our posts.

(3)
U
Undisclosed #8
Aug 03, 2018
IPVMU Certified

IVPM Is A Self Proclaimed Garbage Heap

Nah, it’s more like a fixer-upper:

(8)
MM
Michael Miller
Aug 03, 2018

Those Facebook posts make my head hurt... Make it stop.

(1)
(3)
Richard Rosley
Aug 08, 2018
A-TECH Security, Inc.

I agree the immaturity is off the scale for a professional industry. I like the info IPVM is giving and we too have been using HikVision cameras with DW Spectrum VMS and am concerned with all that is happening in the Hik world & now the US Govt. ban.

Axis just sent us 2 of their cameras to try and must admit I placed them side by side with Hik and what a difference! I had only 1080 Axis cameras to 3MP Hik and Axis clearly blew them away with clarity & detail, but unfortunately with a much higher price too which is why so many use Hik & Dahua.

As far as IPVM, I might suggest not opening your statements with what sounds biased, but then again that is what grabs people to read your article. Thank you for all you do for our industry.

(3)
(2)
Jon Dillabaugh
Aug 09, 2018
Pro Focus LLC

Dude drug himself. Seriously. If you’re going to attempt to denigrate someone or something, at LEAST be able to spell the four letter acronym of the organization that you are slamming. 

*I apologize if this gentleman has dyslexia or another disorder that prevents him from spelling IPVM. 

(3)
(3)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #12
Aug 09, 2018

If you look at his actual Facebook page it's filled with a lot of zealotry, and I'm not just basing that on his political leanings. Zealotry can come from all sides. But it just seems to be his general nature. Egos have a hard time finding middle ground.

(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #14
Aug 09, 2018

Best advice I ever got:

"Your Ego, is not your Amigo"...

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #13
Aug 09, 2018

If this guy is a security contractor, I would hate to be his customer. I'm sure he has no problem lying straight to their faces. He is ill-informed and is probably a great ADI / W Box customer.

A fair share of SMB and residential customers, if they knew where the product  was manufactured, who would tell their respective contractor to offer them another, non-Chinese option;Especially today!

Thank God for IPVM. There is just way too much information/technology to digest and decipher and not one of these manufacturers domestic or otherwise should be taken at face value. As sad as it sounds, there is a lacking of honesty and integrity in the corporate world. That's why the marketing budgets for these companies is so large.  They are all in the business to make money, even if it means telling a few lies along the way.  It wouldn't put a scratch on their financials. 

IPVM helps keep manufacturers honest and points out the ones who are stretching it a bit.

TY John and team!

(4)
(1)
Meghan Uhl
Aug 27, 2018

As sad as it sounds, there is a lacking of honesty and integrity in the corporate world.

It is sad, I would hope that Honesty and Integrity would be unquestioned givens in the Security industry!  After All, we're here to rid the world of criminals right?  Are we as an industry a case of honesty amongst thieves?  Very sad!

Meghan Uhl
Aug 27, 2018

BAM, POW, SNAP!!! You go John!

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions