Subscriber Discussion

Issues Or Tips For Installing Biometric Readers?

GR
Greg Rhoades
Oct 13, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I'm new to the access control industry and will be installing some Suprema Bioentry Plus fingerprint scanners to be merged with a Kantech system.  I know with cameras there's a number of settings to configure to get things running smoothly (lowering FPS, adjusting resolution, frame size, etc).  I was just wondering if there's anything similar to look out for when getting this set up to make it go as smoothly as possible.

Brian Rhodes
Oct 13, 2016
IPVMU Certified

One setting that immediately comes to mind is 'confidence interval'.

I think Suprema calls this 'security level' or something similar, but it represents how many points on a fingerprint must match before a decision is made to validate it/invalidate it.

In my experience, there is a tendency to set this level far higher than necessary. For example, if I set the setting to check 1000 points rather than 100, I may feel more confident that the reader is really super-checking a print to make sure it is valid.

But the net result of this is slower reads. It takes more time to check 10X the points on a single print.

If large populations (thousands) of users are enrolled in and using the reader, then a higher confidence interval might be needed to prevent two generally similar users from being confused for each other.

But if the fingerprint reader has twenty or thirty enrolled users, a higher confidence interval is statistically not needed to tell them apart.

(3)
U
Undisclosed #2
Oct 16, 2016
IPVMU Certified

If large populations (thousands) of users are enrolled in and using the reader, then a higher confidence interval might be needed to prevent two generally similar users from being confused for each other.

But if the fingerprint reader has twenty or thirty enrolled users, a higher confidence interval is statistically not needed to tell them apart.

Do any systems offer an auto-confidence interval setting? A system could make a determination on the optimal interval based on the number and similarity of the current registry.

(1)
Baudouin Genouville
Oct 18, 2016
SUPREMA

@Brian:

"check 1000 points rather than 100" is called "Fast Mode" at Suprema. Please always keep Fast Mode to "Auto".

More about fast mode => http://kb.supremainc.com/knowledge/doku.php?id=en:tc_fastmode_speedup_onetomany&s[]=fast&s[]=mode

Above information is a bit outdated (that was for SFM 3500 series, released in 2004, using a CPU = DSP 533Mhz). Now our readers are using quad-core 1.2Ghz CPU so all number (milli-seconds) shall be divided by /10

"Security Level" as called by Suprema is fixing the trigger between FAR and FRR

FAR = False Acceptance Rate

FRR = False Rejection Rate

1:N Security Level can be: Normal / High / Highest

Most secure will lower chance of an intruder being accepted (FAR) but increase chance of regular employees to be rejected (FRR).

During exhibitions (ISC West / IFSEC / Intersec / Essen / ..) Suprema fingerprint readers at our booth have 20,000 users pre-loaded with Security Level = Normal. Visitors passing by love to put their finger on our device to check it. I have personally never seen any visitor (imposter) being positively matched (if not previously enrolled).

I recommend you to DL BioStar v2.3 Software and check the help manual (included in the SW):

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Oct 16, 2016

I've installed numerous Suprema Bio readers and for the most part had good results. I don't particularly like integrating them with other Access Control software.

Couple of reasons:

Suprema's Biostarsoftware is pretty good and the readers are full controllers already. Integrating it with another software will have you pretty busy, although they are making strides in that area. You also have to purchase the interconnect software and make sure the enrollment issues are clean, after you've already purchased the Kantech stuff. If there's not an existing Kantech integration module, I'd shy away from it. Standalone, Suprema's got enrollment down pretty good with the desktop USB mini reader. Their database is MSSQL and will import .csv files if you have an existing user database.

I'm a little more a fan of the Bioentry W readers, they're POE and seem to be more reliable, particularly in weather exposed areas especially direct sunlight. We've used them around pools for example. The HID or Mifare card reader option is very nice as well for temp access, users whose fingers just won't scan, etc.

(1)
Baudouin Genouville
Oct 18, 2016
SUPREMA

Note: Suprema Employee

Dear Greg,

I guess that you are in North America, so if you need support anytime in that region, you shall contact Suprema Partner in the USA: http://www.bioconnect.com/

They have a hotline that you can contact by phone: 855-368-3743

Below are the things that you shall know before installing Biometrics:

A- There are 3 ways to manage biometrics credential. Each of them has pros and cons. You shall make the decision based on "Where does the customer want to put the trigger between Convenience and Security?" then "What is the existing TCP/IP?, Is it dedicated to security? Is it fast (case of distant multi-site)?" then "How many users shall be managed, how many fingers per user and how many Bio-Doors". These questions will help you to chose between:

1- Device Matching. The fingerprint templates are stored in the device memory. Suprema solution handles from 5,000 fingerprints to 100,000 fingerprints in [1;N] (depending on reader) with a quasi-instant matching for Guenuine matching (normal: less than 1 second / worst case: 3 seconds). Imposter matching can take a bit more time.

2- Server matching. The "templates" are stored in a central database. Every time an employee is checking at the door, then his fingerprint will be extracted, converted to a fingerprint template (not an image but hexadecimal number of ~340 bytes) and then compared to the fingerprint central-database.

3- Template on card. The templates are stored in a SmartCard (Mifare, DesFire, iClass SE, Seos). Fingerprint is verified [1;1] with that is on the card (1 to 4 fingers). Employees need to hold a card (con) but this solution has also many Pros (no need to have TCP/IP on the reader, scalability is infinite just has biometric passport)

Personally, I prefer 1-Device Matching. Also this is the most popular use at a global scale (60~70% of installs). But 2- Server Matching has an important share of installs in USA due to the good quality of TCP/IP infrastructures.

B- Improve Security that does not impact convenience. Use facility code (same as for card), configure Encryption options (https sever, Primary&Secondary encryption of cards if you are using template on card). This is to avoid any expert from being able to spoof your network.

C- Configure the "Feedback from controller to reader". In your case, I guess that you will use the Kantech controller with Wiegand. Wire the Feedback function lines, from controller to fingerprint reader (2 wires + GND) and configure the reader Input0/Input1 based on controller RED/GREEN LED output. This will avoid below situation: A user shows his fingerprint to the Suprema fingerprint reader; the fingerprint is success; the reader LED becomes green and Buzzer bip "success"; the card/User ID is sent to the controller; the controller refuse access to that user (based on Access Control Rules: Who/When/Where); the user has a positive feedback from the reader (Green) but is blocked at the turnstile :)

Best case to avoid above scenario would be the use of OSDP V2 (RS485), but I don't think this is available with Kantech controller yet.

D- Get the best from the users fingerprints

Train the people who are going to make the enrollment, give them an enrollment guide. Especially with big databases of fingerprints, while enrolling users you must try to have the best image possible. Users tends to be a bit shy when first placing their fingerprint on a sensor. At enrollment, put Image Quality to 80 and lower it progressively for users with bad quality fingers (to 60, then to 40). The best image you have, the better the performance will be. It is the difference between identifying someone 50 cm in front of you compared to identifying someone at 100m (the second has a higher error rate).

"lowering FPS, adjusting resolution, frame size, etc"

As for the fingerprint configuration, keep maximum settings to AUTO as seen below (case of Suprema W2/L2 readers).

Thank you,

Baudouin

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Oct 18, 2016

Simplify your life and convince them that a card is better. If they want to get higher security have them use a card/pin combination.

(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions