Subscriber Discussion

ISC West - Should A Small Engineering Consulting Firm Attend?

GM
Gordon McFarland
Mar 10, 2017
Bowler Pons Solutions Consultants

Hello - 

In a previous life, I sold stuff, and the value of the ISC show was clear to me.

Now I am a member of a small boutique engineering consulting firm, with strong ties to DOD and similar clients.

I am trying to justify our attendance at ISC West. It really isn't that expensive, and I know that I can start to build vendor relationships, but what percentage of attendees are end-users? Is the trend line for EUs up or down?

I'd like to go. I think everyone I meet is a possible partner/lead, but then I came from a product sales group.

What do you think? Thank you in advance for your help.

Cameron Javdani
Mar 10, 2017
Louroe Electronics

The number of end users I have seen at ISC West has been steadily increasing the past few years.  I don't know a percentage of the total attendees, but I certainly see more EUs than I used to.

(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Mar 10, 2017

ASIS refugees

(3)
MC
Marty Calhoun
Mar 10, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Everybody that is anybody involved in our Industry should attend ISC WEST at least once in their career. 

(4)
JH
John Honovich
Mar 12, 2017
IPVM

30% of ISC West attendees are end-users, according to the show. That equates to ~6,000 attendees.

Here is the overall registration / attendees numbers:

Here is ISC West comment to us on this:

30% of our attendees in 2016 were end users. That is up from 28% in 2015. We have a special focus on this segment and work very hard to grow it. In addition we have a recommendation service enabling attendees to identify exhibitors, based on the solution they are looking for, to match their needs. This helps end users find appropriate exhibitors more efficiently and enables exhibitors to do more business.

(2)
JH
John Honovich
Mar 12, 2017
IPVM

ASIS attracts ~1,000 more end users than ISC West; ~7,000 for ASIS to ~6,000 for ISC West, assuming ISC West and ASIS end user numbers are correct. The ISC West number is cited above, the ASIS number is from this post.

That's actually fairly close considering ASIS has traditionally been the 'end user show'. Of course, ISC West total attendance is now ~50% higher than ASIS, so that is a big factor in closing the gap.

GM
Gordon McFarland
Mar 13, 2017
Bowler Pons Solutions Consultants

Thank you for your comments.

Richard Lavin
Mar 13, 2017
Salas O'Brien • IPVMU Certified

I'm also a consultant and I honestly prefer ASIS due to the lighter attendance.  My main reason for attending shows is to try to build (or maintain) relationships with the manufacturers and get points of contact. (i.e. "When I want to specify your equipment, who can I call for technical assistance?")  In my experience, that's easier when the traffic on the exhibit floor is not particularly crowded.

I know the lower attendance at ASIS makes the manufacturers unhappy but, as long as the manufacturers continue to show up there, it helps me in my goals. 

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Mar 13, 2017
IPVM

I know the lower attendance at ASIS makes the manufacturers unhappy but, as long as the manufacturers continue to show up there, it helps me in my goals.

There are a lot more manufacturers at ISC West than ASIS. In terms of pure numbers, it is ~50% (~1000 for ISC West to ~600 for ASIS). A significant number of the additional booths are Asian manufacturers but there are still a lot more Western tech vendors at ISC West than ASIS.

What is similar is the mid to large manufacturers almost always are at both.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions