Subscriber Discussion

ISC West IoT Hacking Competition (Hosted By IPVM?)

RS
Robert Shih
Mar 09, 2017
Independent

CanSecWest has Pwn2Own, IPVM should have..."Insert Catchy Name Here" >.>

Aaaanyway, I think this is something that'll keep security in focus. It'll help foster a culture of understanding that security is less about obfuscating code and more about an open exchange of ideas and a healthy culture of proactive measures.

Assuming Dahua can fix their disaster before ISC West rolls around, let's see how quickly they can harden their security. This should light a fire under their ass if they're paying attention.

(3)
UD
Undisclosed Distributor #1
Mar 09, 2017

Can we have one of those group tours with the leader wearing the flag and go to each vendors booth, "Now, with a press of this key on my phone, I will take down all of the cameras in their booth".  I'd pay to sign up for that one.

U
Undisclosed #2
Mar 09, 2017

Gizmodo did something similar about 10 years ago. Walked around CES with a thing that turned TVs off, then wrote a very giggly post about it. Lost all my respect for them that day. The video is on YouTube. 

(1)
(1)
Brian Karas
Mar 09, 2017
IPVM

I am not sure we could get enough qualified hackers at ISC West to really dig into firmware/devices like that, but I like the general idea.

Maybe a live demonstration of known exploits and backdoors. Show how easy (or hard) it is to compromise devices, what effect changing port forwarding rules has (or does not have), etc.

Would not be this year, not enough time to pull it together, and we do not have any exhibit space, but maybe a neat idea for something in the future.

RS
Robert Shih
Mar 09, 2017
Independent

I could be funny and let you borrow our exhibit space :P *gets blackballed by every manufacturer and distributor in the industry*

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Mar 09, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Looking forward to it!

(1)
(4)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Mar 10, 2017

I know of a few VMSs who host their own hackathons every so often.  I wonder if Dahua or Hik would be willing to join....

RS
Robert Shih
Feb 10, 2018
Independent

So...this year?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions