ISC West Bag Promoter Deploys Giant Billboards

JH
John Honovich
Apr 14, 2017
IPVM

Take a look:

Notice the style / color similarities with their bag promotion:

What do you think of a security company using billboard? Certainly uncommon.

More details on the approach and cost inside. 

JH
John Honovich
Apr 14, 2017
IPVM

We asked Ackley, the owner of JJ Advantage, shared more details, saying that they "target high traffic areas and in the Chicago area they are all over the place", noting:

I have had great success with these and made a great name for our installation company over the past decade and made multiple large accounts from the leads.

Ackley shared another billboard of his:

Monthly pricing for the billboards vary but are generally in the $2,000 to $10,000 range.

Ackley also noted:

My installation service company J.J. Advantage Security, has been in business for over a 10 years now and we are a National company located here in South Chicago. We have Clients in 19 States currently working from coast to coast. We specialize in commercial security surveillance but also take on all aspects of low voltage such as Access Control, Microwave PTP, Fiber Optics, Data, Etc. But we stand out specifically in surveillance. We work only with Commercial & Industrial projects, no residential. The residential market is tough, and nobody wants to spend money. They expect the Costco or Amazon.com 8 camera systems for $500 to be installed, and we will not touch it. We would rather do 50 commercial projects vs 250 residential to make the same profits.

I have not heard any integrators mention using billboards and in some regions they are not allowed by law. However, given that this is not a typical ad, perhaps it gains even more attention.

Thoughts?

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 14, 2017
IPVMU Certified

J.J. Advantage would appear to be related to the mysterious company mentioned here.

JH
John Honovich
Apr 14, 2017
IPVM

Yes, ergo the title of this post: "ISC West Bag Promoter Deploys Giant Billboards" - same owner, James Ackley.

What do you think #1? Like or dislike the billboard tactics for security companies?

U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 14, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Nothing against them for security companies in general, but with all due respect to J.J., I think this one could be improved a bit.

1. Company name too small 
  2. Phone number should be mnemonic if possible, e.g. "708-PRO-CAMS"
  3. No website info
  4. "$0 Monthly Fees" confusing to read, why not "No Monthly Fees"

Also, why emphasize "cameras", isn't he is selling solutions?

I like the out-of-frame camera graphic!

Maybe put some simulated IR LED reflectors on the glass for a cool nighttime effect.

(2)
(1)
James Ackley
Apr 15, 2017

I agree with all your points, I really do. Main focus of this board was not necessarily the company name, but more of the Logo and Brand. This sign was is a non traffic jam area and passing by typically at 50+mph, so first sight is either SECURITY CAMERAS or the Extension. 2nd was phone number, everything else is clutter.

Yes the out of frame camera is very neat, this is called an extension in the billboard industry. These can be usually added to any board that has no roads or pedestrians under it. We wanted to do that with the newer board, but as you can see a road was under it.

I like the led Light Idea

(1)
Christopher Freeman
Nov 13, 2017

long ago when doing McDonald's, taco bells and others of like nature.

we were informed by the national accts directors team of the decision process, or thought process of driving down the highway, roadway in a vehicle. 

Signs have a 3 sec. impact and a determining factor of the exit process and don't stay with the traffic for more than 5 minutes due to road issues and other related issues .

Radio is about the same 

What really affects the public is shock and awe , or funny, comedy related issues. 

Take the advertising process you see on TV 

What really sticks, What really says i remember to you. 

This is the reality of how people think 

NOT a bunch of confusing advertising boards on the junkpile of the roadside 

What leaves an Impression , lasting Impression (HappyThoughts)

NOT another tacky sign that touts of arrogance and embellishment 

MM
Michael Miller
Apr 14, 2017

Since he targets commercial projects only I would be interested in how many calls he gets about residential projects from the billboards. 

(1)
James Ackley
Apr 15, 2017

A decent amount that's for sure, notice on our newest sign we say Commercial. Not saying we will not install residential, it really depends on the size of the project. Again, most homeowners have a ADT Camera setup or Costco thought and pricing in their heads.

We do work closely on some of our commercial accounts with for instance law enforcement, so those type of requests from officers or personal in need more than want we step up to the plate with.

(1)
(3)
U
Undisclosed #4
Apr 16, 2017

Mr. Ackley,

Can you enlighten us on how you beat the Rapid Response team of booth babes in bag giveaways at ISC West?  Your bags were noticeably everywhere, while theirs, not so much.

personally, I don't understand the hate RE: billboards.  Advertising works or it doesn't.  If a billboard feeds you leads for commercial installs - which then leads to a percentage of conversions to monthly monitoring contracts - then your advertising dollars are well spent (imo).

U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 16, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Can you enlighten us on how you beat the Rapid Response team of booth babes in bag giveaways at ISC West?

'Give a bag, get a buck'.  

JH
John Honovich
Apr 16, 2017
IPVM

Can you enlighten us on how you beat the Rapid Response team of booth babes in bag giveaways at ISC West?

#4, Surveillance Monitoring handed out their bags as people entered the show floor on the first day and was done through the show, which means far far more people got their bags than Rapid. With Rapid, you had to go to their booth and get it from them, meaning far less opportunities to get a Rapid bag.

(1)
Christopher Freeman
Nov 13, 2017

Impressions 

its is all about lasting impressions 

nothing else 

Christopher Freeman
Nov 13, 2017

I think Strickly Business

What works , What does not

What is a total waste and what just feeds the advertising industry

Demographics of the area

Poor, Working class, welfare class, Rich

What really returns 

NOT what apeals or does not apeal to us

Good business execs dont care if you like or dislike , they only care about results 

Bottom line

U
Undisclosed #2
Apr 14, 2017

How do you reconcile selling high-tech, high-skill anything to commercial customers with billboards?

I'm not faulting or ridiculing anything about the owner, but billboards are roadside version of spam email.

It seems like you're making it harder to justify yourself as an authority that resells high-end equipment and skilled labor when your customer got your name off a billboard.

(2)
JH
John Honovich
Apr 14, 2017
IPVM

but billboards are roadside version of spam email.

Disagree.

Since billboards cost non-trivial money, this precludes most small operators from using them.

Indeed, when I think billboards, I think of bigger companies. Here this Mercedes one:

Or Samsung:

Obviously not every billboard advertiser is a huge company, typically it is is larger companies.

I think the same way about the ISC West bag giveaway. The reason why it was so noticeable with these guys is that it was not the normal big company doing this.

Ultimately, what matters is how many quality leads they can get but it's pretty unconventional and helps stand out vs the normal security integrator approach.

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Apr 15, 2017

These guys have been doing billboards and radio for a long time. 

www.bayalarm.com

Christopher Freeman
Nov 13, 2017

You always have to compare value 

Cars have a higher return on investment 

alarms don't 

99 cheep alarm s don't pay for this kind of overhead ( maybe in 3-5 years deferment)

Adt,bay, others have the volume and budget and team in place to waste and make a bigger image, try different approaches to increase RMR.  

little guys don't. 

if you as an alarm co. have a budget and your wasting it on advertising that does not return at least double after overhead cost your not going to stay in for the long run. 

say over 5 years ( common business sense ) 

you will be the company who has to sell off to pay for mistakes

say 5000 accounts not 100 to pay for this @ competitive quotes  

other items no listed her is demographics , area of advertising, and target audience 

who are the customers  , what kind of customers  and how many customers 

there is a little more to the picture or equation than just placing adds 

larger the company the larger the budget because that s the return

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions