Is This Uncovered Camera Cable Box A Problem?

Brian Rhodes
Nov 17, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Take a look at this picture:

The cables are run to a junction box adjacent to the bullet camera.  Notice there is no cover on this box.

This stuff usually drives me crazy, because it looks lazy and really undermines the quality of the install.

But notice this camera is indoors, hung out of reach of potential tamperers, and the wires inside are not exposed to cold/rain/ice.

So is this a real issue?  Or just being overly picky?

(4)
KL
Keefe Lovgren
Nov 17, 2016
IPVMU Certified

from a functionality stand point I don't think it is an issue, like you mentioned above... but the job doesn't look finished without a blank plate on the box...

(6)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Nov 17, 2016
IPVMU Certified

A real trunkslammer would have 'finished' the job, by painting the inside white....

(8)
U
Undisclosed
Nov 17, 2016

Yea there's a problem. The installer didn't bother to break out his brush to paint the cable. To be fair, maybe he ran out of paint on the other cameras...

(1)
Brandon Knutson
Nov 17, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Aesthetic issues... A plate and some paint.

(3)
Brian Rhodes
Nov 17, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I didn't even mention the cable hide and jbox didn't match the wall color, but I appreciate you bringing it up and I feel better knowing I'm not just OCD.

U
Undisclosed #1
Nov 17, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Entropy doing its thing will also cause the cable loop to unfurl until it reaches it lowest ground energy state, which is probably outside the j-box.

(1)
Geoff Gritton
Nov 21, 2016

You're not OCD, but CDO, As it's in the right order

(1)
Brandon Knutson
Nov 17, 2016
IPVMU Certified

The establishment's Facilities Department probably stole the plate to cover a bare high voltage j-box after the fire department wrote a violation. Yes, seen this happen.

(1)
(1)
(5)
Joseph Marotta
Nov 17, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Sloppy workmanship. The install is incomplete and that's why customers should hold back final payment until these punch list items are resolved. And I noticed it too, the box and raceway should be painted to match surrounding surfaces....but was that written in the specs to do so? Probably not.

(2)
(1)
Ari Erenthal
Nov 17, 2016

If you go to a nice restaurant and there's no soap or hot water in the bathroom, walk right out without waiting for your food. If they're willing to cut corners in such a highly visible way, what must their kitchen be like?

I feel like this is the same kind of thing. Like, I'm sure nothing bad will happen if you leave the cover off, but if you're willing to do that, what else are you willing to do?

(4)
U
Undisclosed #1
Nov 17, 2016
IPVMU Certified

If you go to a nice restaurant and there's no soap or hot water in the bathroom, walk right out without waiting for your food.

If its a really nice restaurant, I'm just there to use the restroom anyway.

(8)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Nov 17, 2016

I find that its in the small details that a customer is often the most unimpressed.

Sure you give them a brand new system with amazing camera images but you left the building a mess and the customer had to spend the next 2 months finishing details like this.

Guarantee you won't get another job from that customer.

(3)
Matthew Netardus
Nov 17, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I would say it isn't a major security issue; its height puts it out of reach of casual vandalism. If anyone is determined enough to grab a ladder, then they'd almost definitely have a screwdriver (or a security bit if the installer went all the way to put security screws).

However, I would say it is a real issue looks wise (and enough aesthetic fails makes building owners unhappy about the presence of cameras, and less likely to use them in more places so in that way it can be a security issue)

LP
Lawrence Peters
Nov 17, 2016

In our area that would not pass inspection. A cover would be needed.

(3)
Kevin White
Nov 21, 2016
IPVMU Certified

i am with Lawrence on this one, would not pass inspection. PLUS it is just poor workmanship. wish i could see above the box. When i find poor workmanship like this - I usually see a 1" gap between the wiremold and box (connectors cost too much.. LOL)

JG
Jeff Gack
Nov 17, 2016
IPVMU Certified

The camera would have looked much better mounted directly on a round junction box.

With a cover of course.

(2)
Jon Dillabaugh
Nov 17, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

It is not right IMO. If you can't take a few seconds time to put the cover back on, you are super lazy.

But I even question why they didn't use a back box made for the camera, instead of a single gang bell box?

(2)
RR
Richard Ramsowr
Nov 18, 2016

this is most likely the result of a serviceman or woman in a hurry and either lost the cover plate, broke the cover plate, or really under trained. All three would fit.

(1)
RR
Richard Ramsowr
Nov 18, 2016

Yes, poor craftsmanship is always a issue and needs to be stop! Hopefully durning my lifetime and thus the clock is indeed ticking <Grin>, get with folks for my sake.

sS
sundar Subramanian
Nov 18, 2016

Functionally such installation will deviate IP65 compliance. Moreover, it can cause corrosion on the Ethernet connector over a period of time because of ambience moisture

Eric Spencer
Nov 21, 2016

There are a couple of inherent problems here. While aesthetics play a role in the overall fit and finish, the picture does invite the following behaviour:

1. Employee Tampering

2. Video line tapping

3. Wireless transmission

This sort of thing a small detail can often save much work after the fact

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Nov 21, 2016
IPVMU Certified

3. Wireless transmission

Yes, but I bet the guy who sneakily hides a radio in the box will at least put a cover on it :)

Ari Erenthal
Nov 21, 2016

That's what he wants you to think!

Paul Grefenstette
Nov 21, 2016

looks like a step up from what I've seen with those using bullet cameras indoor - I would have expected it to be ziptied to the front of the box as you know how hard it is to mount a camera into drywall ;)

Russ Beeson
Nov 21, 2016

I believe it can be in issue. WIth it exposed the installation does look unfinished. Leaving it open can expose it to other things which can and could be detrimental to the day to day operation. JMHO

Tim Hartley
Nov 21, 2016

I agree w/Keefe, job looks unfinished and mostly unprofessional. Trunk slammer type install.

JJ
Jake Jachym
Nov 21, 2016

If I was the end user, that paid for the install, and this is what the finished product looked like, someone would be back to 'complete' the job. But who knows, as someone else stated, that maybe someone removed the cover for use elsewhere. I also agree about the paint, but there have been times that A) the customer doesn't want to pay for it, B) doesn't have the paint color #, or C) will have someone from their maintenance dept paint it.

Jake

BC
Bruce Cisne
Nov 21, 2016
IPVMU Certified

An inspector could get picky and require a cover. It doesn't look like a masonry wall. So I would question why the cable wasn't pulled down inside the wall to a recessed box. Looks like a trunk slammer job to me.

(2)
Armando Perez
Nov 21, 2016
Hoosier Security and Security Owners Group • IPVMU Certified

not a problem, but tacky and invites the customer to look for other problems. If you arent paying enough attention to install a cover, then what else did you miss? Theres other things here that would cause me to send that tech through more training before letting him loose again.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions