Is This 'fIrst-Ever Portable Gunpowder Detector' Legit?

Brian Rhodes
Feb 08, 2017
IPVMU Certified

A startup called Solution Sensors Inc is claiming a new sensor that detects loaded guns to stop mass-shootings:

Videos below / inside:

I have a hard time believing this is useful, even if it works as claimed. From their site:

"The user points the sensor in a general area of potential targets. The sensor will give a “yes” or “no” read out, indicating that, yes, this area contains gunpowder, or no, it does not. It will then indicate the direction of the origin of the gunpowder."

and

"the device is able to identify the presence of a loaded .38 caliber pistol in a closed car trunk from about 9 feet away. "  <bold emphasis in original>

This means the sensor must be pointed at a target within a range of 9 feet, probably less. In the laughably amateurish video, this is not clear, they just magically show the doors locking as gunman walk up.

A person standing 9 feet away with a sensor is nothing but a target. This product does nothing to stop the threat.

Am I being too skeptical?

TC
Trisha (Chris' wife) Dearing
Feb 08, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Once an area has been identified as being positive for gun powder, the user or users can then approach the target with confidence that the target is concealing some amount of gunpowder.

I don't know about you, but knowing that an unknown person is 'concealing some amount of gunpowder' actually tends to reduce my confidence.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Feb 08, 2017

I don't know if they are legit or not...

However, they are in fact only the 'Second-Ever Portable Gunpowder Detector'

(2)
(1)
(2)
Brandon Knutson
Feb 08, 2017
IPVMU Certified

If this product works, gun-free zones would actually save lives and we could also cut the TSA in half. Brian, we have a responsibility to be skeptical with a product that makes these claims. Their spokesperson on the video doesn't seem to be a Walter White genius type, but he obviously wants Starbucks to go fund him. 

Scenario for thought... When legally carrying a concealed handgun, I walk by a Levi's store (or other gun-free "for my safety" establishment) and this sensor notifies store security. The police are called and I'm detained. Smelling of gunpowder isn't a crime as far as I know. Will the ACLU come to my defense?

For this reason, once again, I'm out.    

U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 13, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Smelling of gunpowder isn't a crime as far as I know.

IMHO, Freedom of Scent is constitutionally protected as a Freedom of Expression.

JH
John Honovich
Feb 12, 2017
IPVM

They are also doing an Indiegogo campaign - $30 raised so far.

Another video:

I've also added it up front.

Brian Rhodes
Feb 20, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Roberta Long sent a message to us on this.  I've pasted it below with minor punctuation edits to improve readability, but here it is:

The Gunpowder Detector Sensor is real. Crowdfunding did not work as people searching for investoble products don’t search for gun powder detection, and there wasn’t a celebrity to make it a household name. There are currently multiple investment groups wanting to fund now. Once that happens there should be a digitized version of the srnsrsor.

The video was stock footage mixed with amateur footage. When you have no funding you do what you can do. The video you reviewed was one of the first but by months rnd tbd new sand improved replace it. Still amateur but shows the vision https://goo.gl/pmPWYX 

To your point, the video does not tell “how” it works because the imagery is eluding to it being embedded in the doorway. The Ernst itself doesn’t lock the door, the video depicts a scenerio regarding what is possible when integrated with other technologies.

How it detects (the technology and what makes the powder inside the bullets/ammo detectable is proprietary and I’d be happy to share with an NDA. Once it hits the market everyone will know how it works. The technology holds a very strong patent and additional patent applications are being filed. Just keep in mind it’s a sensor. It’s an invisible field..

If a gunman walks withonh the field it detects the Gunpowder in his billets and yes up to 9 feet away from the sensor. Everyone knows knowledge is power... imagine a school with these stnsirs embedded in doors and wi does... now imagine the school is able to know where the gunman is based on Gunpowder detection sensor... the school could feasibly know which direction which to Eva Kate and where to sent law enforcement. Even a few seconds notice could save lives.

In light of last weeks mass shooting I hope you can update the video and amend the article so when searched it doesn’t deter people from supporting. We have got to do something to save lives and stricter gun laws is t going to do it. You might be interested in knowing our very own government is interested in the SSI Gunpowder Detector sensor. Thank you. Roberta Long

As a result of the request, I've replaced the video (the old one was taken down) and posted this reply.

I've also shared these comments with Roberta:

1. The suggestion this idea was not successful in crowdfund is because:

'Crowdfunding did not work as people searching for investoble products don’t search for gun powder detection, and there wasn’t a celebrity to make it a household name'

is contrary to the multiple millions raised by crowdfunding every year for things like:

The fact the campaign was unsuccessful might find fault in the crowdfunding platform, but it is not because backers are fickle or hard to impress.

2. Despite not clarifying the technical concerns, the claimed distance detection is limited to 9 feet is still problematic.  If a gun is 9 feet away before it is detected, then what real 'early detection' value does it have?

3. Interestingly, SSI paints its sensor as an alternative to 'expensive' metal detecting solutions.  But they aren't. In fact, WBOX handheld sensors cost less than $100 street, as detailed in ADI Now 'Manufacturing' Metal Detectors.

SSI lists no pricing or product to illustrate its claims, so cost comparisons can't be made, but the circumstance that traditional metal detectors are too costly for widespread use is not the case.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions