Subscriber Discussion

Is This Camera Overkill For Home Security System?

U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 22, 2017

Hikvision 3MP Smart Outdoor Camera DS-2CD4A35FWD-IZ(H)(S)

The 3MP series smart cameras are able to capture high quality colored images. DS-2CD4A35FWD offers Full HD resolution with up to 45fps high frame rate, 140dB WDR, PoE, Defog, 3D DNR and complete Smart Feature-set to meet a wide variety of applications.

Online Price ~$600 USD

JH
John Honovich
Mar 22, 2017
IPVM

#1, you can certainly buy a Hikvision camera for significantly less. 

Some of the key differentiators of this model over lower cost versions is built in zoom varifocal, true WDR, high frame rate, analytics, etc.

How much do you value those in your application?

(1)
Brandon Knutson
Mar 22, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Product value is very subjective.

This camera is too nice for my home. I'd be looking in the $200 range, wide-angle, good nighttime performance and cross-line detection.  

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Mar 22, 2017

Complete overkill:

1. You don't need 45fps. Normal home surveillance should be at 15fps. Set your shutter speed higher (above 1/30S) to catch better frames

2. More NVRs aren't ready for 45fps so you would have to record natively on the card.

3. I think putting in multiple static cameras (like the 2332I Turrent) would be a better option for the price vs. coverage.

4. I don't think the camera pans/tilts so it's a big eyesore.

Just my thoughts.....

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Mar 23, 2017

Bonus cyber security features of basic authentication and SSH. Perfect for botnets and backdoors for home users!

I don't get why manufacturers list Full HD for cameras with resolutions higher than HD.  Get off the HD soap box.  It doesn't mean anything now that we have moved passed it.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Mar 23, 2017

Perfect home camera  -  for multi million dollars mansion though.   :-)

For about $500,  you can get Hik OEM long range one with  4.7-94mm VF Motorized Lens.  Can go up to 60 FPS or so with WDR turn off, if that's what you go after. 

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions