Subscriber Discussion

How Do I Keep Operators From Ignoring Alarms? (Genetec System)

U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 19, 2017

I recently had a client who noted that operators were not receiving alarms, but they had been reported. Turns out that some operator had muted the audio because the alarms became annoying (treating the symptom and not the cause). This same workstation also had an Axis virtual intercom master application running on it which meant that visitors were not being properly vetted before allowing entry. As a security guy, this is a VERY big deal.  Here are the work-arounds I have thought about:

1. Policy that says "DON'T DO THAT". 
  2. A voice annunciation connected to an output relay of the access control system which provides a voice prompt over a separate speaker in the vicinity of the workstation. 
  3. A local sounder with an acknowledge button activated on ANY alarm condition requiring operator attention. 

Items 2 and 3 are not likely in some cases because there is not a local panel at the remote workstation locations. Installing such a panel is an expensive undertaking, particular when there are 200 possible remote workstations involved. 

Do you think manufacturer's have addressed this issue in their applications (if you don't know,  you should find out before the operator misses a critical alarm).

Can you lock down the mute button, but just for alarms? for just CERTAIN alarms?

Is there a better way? 

Suggestions are appreciated.

Ari Erenthal
Apr 19, 2017

In my experience (your milage may vary), the best way to handle this kind of situation is to

1. Make a person take ownership of every alarm
  2. Have a clear, written procedure for handling alarms
  3. Have consequences for not following those procedures
  4. Have a procedure to identify and mitigate problem areas

The problem with repeated false alarms is that it teaches the responders that the alarms are not important and trains them to ignore alarms. Therefore, you need to have a policy mandating that a specific person is responsible for an alarm, you need to have procedures for what they do about it, and you need to enforce those procedures.

Not having a designated person take ownership creates a bystander effect, because every security officer says "I got the alarm last time, let the other guard take it this time. If a specific officer knows that he or she is responsible for investigating an alarm, they will. And empowering them to declare a specific alarm trigger a nuisance empowers them to, first, track the alarms and their causes and, second, gives them confidence that the nuisance will be resolved or mitigated. Assuming a specific amount of false alarms actually does trigger a service call or something, of course, and isn't just ignored. 

Alarm management is a tricky thing but getting it right is important. It takes careful forethought, clear procedures, and constant tinkering for the first few months. 

(3)
U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 19, 2017

Thanks Ari.   I agree with all the items you mentioned and know them all too well. I'm actually looking for a technical solution. Policies are great and all, but a technical solution is better because it forces the operator to acknowledge the alarm and address the actual issue.  Another client (did i mention that all these systems are existing) did Item #2 (above) and linked it to the emergency duress buttons.  Works very well, but is not usable with the other situation. Nasty sounder activates in the control room and the operator pushes a button to silence the sounder. 

Also failed to mention that these are admin people with other duties and responsibilities. They don't get that many alarms, but it only takes one.  

Brandon Knutson
Apr 19, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Not sure what program or system is generating the alarms, but Lenel OnGuard is configurable so you are forced to acknowledge its alarms. I haven't used Lenel for years, but maybe your system has that option too?

(1)
JC
Jesse Crawford
Apr 19, 2017
OpenEye

Avigilon built in an alarm hierarchy a while back, so if the operator doesn't acknowledge an alarm, it starts to escalate through the organization at different time intervals. I'm sure others have something similar.

(2)
(3)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Apr 20, 2017

FLIR Latitude does the same for event escalation.  You set timers and non responded alarms then move to others, including sending emails to a manager. 

Pretty embarrassing when it's logged and an executive wakes up to a few dozen emails on his phone. 

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 20, 2017

Brandon and Jesse. Thanks for your comments.   Yes this system does have the alarm escalation feature which we have implemented. It works, but by the time it gets to the next guy in the hierarchy and that person makes a call,  a lot of time has passed. Also, remember, that there is an intercom application involved here and leaving entrants with  no alternative but to tap on the window is not cool; particularly if its one of the executives or a celeb...

These are Windows 10 workstations and are pretty high end. May try running two sound cards with a second speaker out of the headset jack. I think that's possible. 

Seems to me this is a common problem for everyone. 

U
Undisclosed #3
Jul 05, 2017

The operator needs to do their job.  They should be reporting nuisances (so they can be fixed) rather than muting them.  Important to create a conducive monitoring environment.  I would /have done the following:

1. Fix the problem with nuisances (correct field conditions), using different tones/sounds (wavs) for different event types.  Alarm conditions should be to a minimum - a few per hour at most or operators will continue to mute, disconnect speakers, cover speakers, etc.

2. For those officers that just don't care, they will mute the controls so they can do their own thing.   

a. Limit controls to operators

b. Issue policy about tampering with monitoring/computer controls that are needed to perform their duties.  

c. Write up operators who don't follow policy.

d. Terminate for reoccurring incidents.

Officers should have the ability to control volume -  they should not be able to abuse it.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #4
Jul 05, 2017

Use screen recording software, then the firing of one guard not compliant with the duties of the job. A camera in the SOC to correlate the event.

Example: Guard is Facebooking while multiple alarms are unacknowledged. 

Fired.

Next go to home depot and buy that motion detector video camera/monitor that shows the looping playback of the guard watching you on the small LCD screen as it chimes its alarm. Put that in your SOC. Done.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Jul 05, 2017

There is no guard. These are admin types responsible for other things (many other things) and these alarms are new and a very small part of their responsibilities. I did not mention it, but it's 120 schools with each school having 2-3 workstations where an alarm could present. The system is also Genetec. The alarm occurs first at the main work station, and if unacknowledged,  progresses though the remaining workstations using  Genetec 's standard forwarding features. The person at the reception desk may be legitimately attending to other duties... including those that would take her/him away from the workstation. The problem is not not answering a sounding alarm or the guy at the front door wanting in; but rather not hearing it because it is muted or the volume is turned down. 

Here is the recap of the question. 

1. Do you think manufacturer's have addressed this issue in their applications (if you don't know, you should find out before the operator misses a critical alarm).
  2. Can you lock down the mute button, but just for alarms? for just CERTAIN alarms?
  3. Is there a better way?

Again, I need a technical solution..  A possible Genetec feature that could be implemented perhaps. 

U
Undisclosed #4
Jul 05, 2017

1. The manufacturer has a time/date stamp on each event which is archived to a database for retrieval at a later time. The manufacturer has addressed this issue in their applications. Additionally there are other conditions the Genetec system can pursue if these settings are not being acknowledged. If the operator is neglecting their training to respond to the critical alarm do not point at the manufacturer.

2. The speakers are a shared resource of the client computer. Giving Genetec power over the PC in a software based application can be achieved, have you consulted with Genetec as the customer has asked? Otherwise your idea of a third party device (sounder, audio speaker) will require 120 locations and 360 locations if all the clients are spread out.

3. Creativity. Of course there is always a better way. You already have the first part of your equation written out. 120 schools, requiring certain alarms in need of a response. Ultimately the end user is responsible to operate the systems notifications. If it has to resort to a loud booming voice in the sky, so be it. However that does not sound practical. Imagine if you had 20 thousand Yodas in your head, and each one uses a mechanical typewriter to communicate with you. That is the type of thunder you need to bring to the table before your competitor walks into the bar and tells your customer...."Hey, all you have to do is this". 

The school system should meet you half way, 360 unique operators will require some training and education to make them accountable for their actions. The system is doing what it needs to do and the operators are doing what they want to do.

JH
John Honovich
Jul 07, 2017
IPVM

Ideas from Genetec:

• Using the mobile app could be an option assuming the guard is carrying a phone
  • Depending how far away they are from the station, just relying on the speaker of the station might not be enough. 
  • Using audio capabilities from the cameras to broadcast a sound could also do the trick 

In addition: 

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions