Subscriber Discussion

How Can I Stop My Cameras From Freezing Over Like A Popsicle?

CP
Carlton Purvis
Feb 11, 2014

Take a look at this camera, frozen over:

What's the best way to stop this from happening?

AB
Alain Bolduc
Feb 11, 2014

That close to the wall, is there drip coming down on the camera from the roof? I have a hard time seeing how ice sickles that size could form otherwise. If that's what's causing this, putting some kind protective cover above the camera might do the trick.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Feb 11, 2014

Please show us a wider picture showing off the camera and the eave above it.

CP
Carlton Purvis
Feb 11, 2014

I wish I could, but that's the only photo the guy has of it. I can ask him for another.

UI
Feb 12, 2014

Please do. The camera housing is not the problem here. Nonetheless, is that housing heated?

Daniel S-T
Feb 12, 2014

Location, location, location. Water is hitting that camera, or they are in a climate with a frequent thaw/freeze. And heater or not, in extreme cold the enclosure itself stays pretty chilly. The inside will be warm but the outside won't be.

UI
Feb 12, 2014

The reason I asked for a better photo is because from what I'm seeing now, it seems like one of the three pipes by the wall have ice and not the others. Some water is definitely leaking here, but from where is the question. Could be a leaky gutter ...

Brian Rhodes
Feb 12, 2014
IPVMU Certified

I saw an engineered housing for a box camera at an agricultural site in Kansas that always fascinated me.

I never was able to find out who manufactured it, but the housing featured a small rubber bladder around the front pane and sunshield of the camera.

Overnight, if icicles formed (like in the picture above) an operator could trigger a small air pump using camera outputs to inflate the bladder. The expansion would break the ice loose from the front end of the camera.

It worked really well for 'deicing' the camera, and which in this case was mounted to always be near flowing water regardless of outside temperature (it was an agriculture irrigation manufacturer), and ice formed on the camera on many days during the winter.

Like I said, I never caught the manufacturer or model information for that housing. Does anyone have an idea?

MH
Matt Helmer
Feb 12, 2014
IPVMU Certified

Relocate or fabricate a roof over it somehow. Very unfortunate!

Hal Bennick
Feb 12, 2014
Trafficware, a CUBIC Company

I can relate. It's supposed to go down to 65 this weekend where I live....

Brian Rhodes
Feb 12, 2014
IPVMU Certified
Ari Erenthal
Feb 12, 2014
Chesapeake & Midlantic

I have no place to put the ice and snow I already have and now the weatherman is telling me we're going to get another foot of snow tonight and tomorrow. The state, the county, and the township are all out of salt. Last night I got an email from a community list that home depot got a pallet of rock salt in. Then, about fifteen minutes later, I got another email saying it was all gone. I've broken two shovels this winter. Outlook bleak, supplies low. All we have left is three cans of tuna, two cans of corn, and cantelope flavored vodka that someone gave us as a joke. Send blankets and Disney dvds.

TS
Tim Sisk
Feb 12, 2014
IPVMU Certified

I would relocate or extend out the camera from it's current location.

Ross Vander Klok
Feb 12, 2014
IPVMU Certified

It is -8 right now here and we have never had this sort of issue. Bad location is the reason for this and it is easy to correct by extending the mount out and away from the dripping water.

UI
Feb 12, 2014

It is -28 right now here and nothing is dripping. <g>

Ari Erenthal
Feb 12, 2014
Chesapeake & Midlantic

Well, the Dotworkz Ring of Fire (and now that song is stuck in everyone's head) is designed to stop just this kind of thing from happening. Or you can not be an idiot and stick a camera right next to a leaky gutter. Either one works.

UI
Feb 12, 2014

That housing would be ice storm proof.

CP
Carlton Purvis
Feb 13, 2014

Another view provided:

A better look here:

So obviously moving the camera would help in this case, but what about a camera you can't move?

CP
Carlton Purvis
Mar 04, 2014
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions