Subscriber Discussion

Is There A Problem With A Strike Being Energized For 8 Hours A Day Every Day?

DM
David Matyas
Dec 28, 2015

Is there a problem with a strike being energized for 8 hours a day every day?

A customer wants the door to stay open for 8 hours each day. Until now we always use maglocks for that.

Thanks

DW
David Westberry
Dec 28, 2015
IPVMU Certified

It really depends on the lock I would say. A fail safe strike operates just like a mag lock and is energized while locked. I am not sure if it is a fail secure only lock would affect its long term life under the conditions you described where a fail safe lock is designed to. Best bet? Ask the lock manufacturer.

U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 28, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Make sure it is rated for continuous duty. Also if it is fail-secure it may get very hot after a bit. Use DC power to avoid buzz.

DD
Dan Droker
Dec 29, 2015
LONG Building Technologies • IPVMU Certified

It can certainly be done. As others have said, it depends on the strike. Avoid models like the HES 1006, which have the solenoid on the outside, for this application. If using any model of HES, be certain to use a SmartPak. Most other quality strikes do fine with extended unlocks. They can get warm, but usually not hot. If your strike does get hot, add a CRU2 current reduction unit from Command Access.

(1)
(1)
Brian Rhodes
Dec 29, 2015
IPVMU Certified

This is a good answer. Dan mentions using a HES SmartPac, which is a voltage bridge rectifier. It is HES branded, but it's handy to use with really any continuous duty strike.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Dec 29, 2015

What "voltage bridge rectifier" has to do with HES SmartPac unit?

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Dec 29, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Because that is what it is... ?

The product page even uses this term.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Dec 29, 2015

So, if Panel already provides DC voltage

why do we need another "voltage bridge rectifier"?

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Dec 29, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Because it is common to use separate power supplies to power locks (not all panels are located at the door or deliver sufficient pass-thru power), or they may be required by bid specs, and even a best practice from manufacturers.

AC power supplies types are pretty commonplace in low voltage work, including video surveillance and access control.

I can help explain this fundamental further if needed.

U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 29, 2015
IPVMU Certified

So, if Panel already provides DC voltage
why do we need another "voltage bridge rectifier"?

You wouldn't in that case.

But since this product is designed to run off AC or DC, they include it.

The main function of the unit is to reduce the voltage 25% after some period of extended duty.

U
Undisclosed #2
Dec 29, 2015

Agree with all stated:)

I just did not like explanation

that unit is "voltage bridge rectifier" and "Because that is what it is..."

That all

(1)
(2)
(1)
DM
David Matyas
Dec 29, 2015

Thank you for the info. I sent it over the requirements to my distributor, and he says the Seco-larm SD-995C24 is rated for continues duty when using DC.

Any feedback on that lock?

Thanks

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Dec 29, 2015

I wouldn't suggest that you use Seco-larm door releases unless you really don't care about forced entry. these locks plates are made of aluminum and don't hold up to much abuse.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #4
Dec 29, 2015

Yeah, but the distributor has them in stock and is probably in a contest to win a free coffee cup from the manufacturer if they sell enough units.

(2)
DM
David Matyas
Dec 29, 2015

What is a better one that you would recommend?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Dec 29, 2015

Adams Rite make solid stuff. I've never had a problem with them.

Adams Rite Link

(1)
DD
Dan Droker
Dec 29, 2015
LONG Building Technologies • IPVMU Certified

What kind of mechanical lock is on the door? Do you have a picture?

Brian Rhodes
Dec 29, 2015
IPVMU Certified

In general, Seco-larm is relabeled budget stuff. Really cheap, but flimsy. The brand is a bunch of things like analog cameras, horns, strobes, and so on.

Usually the distributor (I'm guessing ADI) will do a no-questions asked exchange if a unit fails, but you have to spend labor to uninstall/reinstall any problems.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions