Subscriber Discussion

Is There A NVR That Can Operate In Temperatures 150 - 250 Degrees Fahrenheit ?

DM
David Matyas
Dec 15, 2015

Is there a NVR that can operate in temperatures 150 - 250 degrees Fahrenheit?

Thanks

U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 15, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Without a seperate enclosure?

JH
John Honovich
Dec 15, 2015
IPVM

Not an expert in this space. Did check Moxa, who I believe specializes in this area. They rate their 'industrial computers' at a max of 75C (167F).

EP
Eddie Perry
Dec 15, 2015

To give a honest answer "all of them will operate in those temps, till they burn up shortly after."

where are you trying to install an NVR? can you move it to a cooler environment? Most electronics wont operate in those temps in general.

(1)
Mike Dotson
Dec 15, 2015
Formerly of Seneca • IPVMU Certified

To go along with what Eddie said...the electronics will not go that high.

The issue you are facing is the ambient environment that the system is in plus the heat that the system generates while running. They combine to set a max internal temp.

A typical electronic device will top out at 50C....and the military class ones will be up in the 70-85C ranges. You are asking for a 121C top end.

The equipment will need some sort of active cooling environment to be able to survive.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 15, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Sure. Put a bullet camera with edge storage in one of these.

Bring the heat! 

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Dec 15, 2015

That would then become a "camera oven".

U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 16, 2015
IPVMU Certified

That would then become a "camera oven".

More like a "camera refrigerator"

At 392F outside its 74F inside.

At 752F outside its 113F inside.

U
Undisclosed #2
Dec 16, 2015

Ah, I thought it was just a normal passive housing. That does look interesting. You'd also need to find a cable assembly to feed into the housing that is similarly rated, that might be a little easier to find though.

This is one of those applications where it really helps if OP can specify a lot more info about the environment and application. I found it interesting that they are only asking about the NVR. I haven't seen too many cameras that work at those temps (none actually, but there are housings). Are the cameras not an issue? Is an alternate to an NVR acceptable?

Either way, you're not going to find an electronic device that works directly at 250F, the solution will involve a cooled enclosure of some sort. Liquid cooling, as in the product you linked, may or may not be practical.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 16, 2015
IPVMU Certified

This is one of those applications where it really helps if OP can specify a lot more info about the environment and application.

Agreed. I fully expect the OP to indicate what exactly the requirement is at any moment.

Also agreed that it all 'boils down to' active cooling:

With it, no problem

Without, no way

(1)
EP
Eddie Perry
Dec 16, 2015
haha the puns
U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 17, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Either way, you're not going to find an electronic device that works directly at 250F, the solution will involve a cooled enclosure of some sort.

Certainly I would have though so as well but, I guess they are making progress on high-temp electronic technology, now with IC's and discrete components able to function at over 300F:

Many applications, both established and emerging, require components that function in very high-temperature environments. In the past, it was challenging to design such systems reliably due to the lack of devices rated for these kinds of harsh environments. Now, ICs and supporting components designed and qualified to operate in these environments are available, saving engineering time and lowering the risk of failure. Leveraging this new technology and following high-temperature design practices will enable high-performance systems to operate reliably in even more extreme environments than were previously feasible.

Whether there is actually a NVR made like this is another story.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 19, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Interesting micro controller that goes to 150C from Infineon.

There's also imaging recorders on space computers... Like they use on solar probes:

But they may out of your budget.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions