Subscriber Discussion

Is There A Camera Or A Method To Visualize Uneven Coating Of Transparent Wax?

ST
Shunji Tsuruzono
Apr 09, 2017

We know a supplier who applies wax to the bowling alley but is there a camera or a method to visualize uneven coating of transparent wax?

EK
Edward Knoch
Apr 10, 2017

Have you looked at the Basler Industrial Cameras? They make production line camera that is high-quality and is designed to look for discrepancies in production engineering.

I am not an employee of this company - just trying to be helpful (BTW). 

Brian Rhodes
Apr 10, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I would think an ultrasonic coating thickness gauge like this DeFelsko model is the cheapest/most accurate option.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 10, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Seems a bit labor intensive for bowling lanes, no?

Brian Rhodes
Apr 10, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Your recommendation is welcome!  :)

Spot checking with a meter like that is not labor intensive, either.  A squirt of 'couplant' (ie: KY jelly) and dropping the probe down for a reading, then wiping it up isn't a huge task.

U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 10, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Your recommendation is welcome! :)

FLIR or bust :)

Brian Rhodes
Apr 10, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I'm not sure the thermal gradient of film thickness translates into any meaningful measurement.  Does it?

U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 10, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Does it?

Maybe.

Unaudited test results from my kids butcher-block lanes yields the following data:

First here's the before shot.  You can make out the pins at the top (blue arrow).  

Then using mineral oil and a borrowed applicator I applied it to an area starting just after the pins, heavily on the outside, (white arrows), lightly on the inside, (green arrows).  Then I made one extra pass  on the left side to simulate uneveness:

Like an idiot I stepped on the lane after the first photo (black arrow).

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Apr 10, 2017
IPVMU Certified

While not conclusive, I still voted 'informative' and am disappointed we lack an 'amazed at private bowling alley' button.

(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 10, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Just some background, of which I was formerly unaware:

Lanes are conditioned thru the application of oil based compounds, the "wax" (though actual wax is not used anymore).

Furthermore, the conditioner is applied differently on different parts of the lane; this allows the ball to hook better among other things.

Video of a oiling machine in use.

(3)
ST
Shunji Tsuruzono
Apr 11, 2017

This is the image of FLIR C2.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 11, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Any chance the image can be take from the pit-side?

Also, to get a good sense of the condition might it be possible just to focus on detecting carry-thru at the far-end?

ST
Shunji Tsuruzono
Apr 11, 2017

FLIR C2 has already been returned, but it is possible to share many taken pictures. Where shall we upload it?

U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 11, 2017
IPVMU Certified

You can put them in Dropbox and post a link.

I thought originally that you were trying to make sure the machine laid down the conditioner evenly, right after application.

But in the case where you want to look in real-time at lanes to determine status, this seems a bit harder.  Just the heat from recent balls would probably confuse the thermal image.

ST
Shunji Tsuruzono
Apr 11, 2017

I would like the audience to visualize that the distribution condition of the conditioner will change as you progress the game.

Could you see this link ?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oud9zepuplyh8fc/AADkzIOQw2LkHtTjQGHYjTiQa?dl=0

U
Undisclosed #2
Apr 10, 2017

Perhaps design a new type of bowling lane that has reflective optics that can respond thru the wax to a laser(robot) that scans each lane to measure and gauge its accuracies, faults and wear.

ST
Shunji Tsuruzono
Apr 11, 2017

Conditioner distribution

U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 10, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Since the "wax" is applied by machine it may have a temp differential that could be detected thermally.

Flir?

ST
Shunji Tsuruzono
Apr 11, 2017

Thank you for various opinions.

I already tried Thermal. I did not know under the influence of lights on the ceiling and air conditioners, whether it is a distribution of conditioners. That's right, now the conditioners are controlled and distributed by computers. I would like to visualize the situation of changing lanes in near real time if possible.

How about detecting the rotation speed and speed of the ball?

U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 11, 2017
IPVMU Certified

How about detecting the rotation speed and speed of the ball?

What's the budget here, Shunji? 

;)

ST
Shunji Tsuruzono
Apr 11, 2017

I do not know the budget feeling, but it seems to be epoch-making in the industry.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions