Subscriber Discussion

Is Mobotix Really Playing Nice With Others Now? This Mx6 Line Looks Interesting.

Scott Napier
Apr 25, 2017

I spent several years living in the land of Mobotix, but have not really dealt with them seriously since 2015.  I was never a fan of the idea that MxPEG was the only way to go (even though it is a very good CODEC) but I had customers who wanted it so that is what I gave them.  

It would appear that they have a complete line of cameras that support both h.264 and ONVIF!  Is this a sign of the apocalypse?

https://www.mobotix.com/eng_US/Products/Camera-Line-Mx6?

JH
John Honovich
Apr 25, 2017
IPVM

Scott, related discussion from a few weeks ago: Mobotix Releases New Mx6 Camera Line With H.264 And ONVIF

My response there still applies:

I spoke with them at ISC West, no plans for smart codec or H.265. Also, only on the dual imager units now.

It's good that Mobotix added H.264 (and better than MxPEG only) but it's unfortunate for them that the market has advanced beyond straight H.264.

Recall, Mobotix started talking about H.264 support ~2 years ago. In that time, Axis started with Zipstream, now most everyone has smart codecs and H.265 support is increasing significantly.

Mobotix definitely is showing a commitment to open up, which is a positive but still a lot of work to do.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions