Is It Ethical To Scrounge Around For Work?

Maybe a poor title, but I don't really know how to say it better, here's the deal:

3 years ago hire a guy to put in an outdoor spa, guy comes does the work to bid, job looks good, pay guy. All good so far, though guy makes it clear he doesn't normally take on work this small...

14 months later he stops by, spa looks good, he enthusiastically suggests a adding waterfall and says this "would be a good time for him to do it.". I say let me think about it. He calls the next day and stresses the 'timing' is good, so I say ok. He get's 90% done in 2 days, but the remaining 10% gets stretched out over 2 months, since he's starting some big project.

8 months go by before the next drop-in, where again the same 'good timing' story is told. But this time when I refuse the one project, he excitedly suggests several other improvements he been 'thinking of'. I say draw up plans and give me a quote with a date. Don't hear from him again, til,

Came by again yesterday, same deal, basically asking for any work. I don't need advice, but what I want to know is:

Is this behavior ok and is it common?

Where you only pay attention to your smaller customers when your bigger ones slow down?

Maybe a better title would have been, Trunk-slumming it, ok or not?

Login to read this IPVM discussion.
Why do I need to log in?
IPVM conducts unique testing and research funded by member's payments enabling us to offer the most independent, accurate and in-depth information.

** ****** **** * ***** **** ******* *** *** **** it's ********* ****** **'* ****** ** ***** ***. ** **** as ** ******** * **** ** *** **** ****... **'* on *** ** ** ****.

*** *** *** ******** **, **** *** *** ********* ******* on *** ******* ******* ******* * ****** *** **** ***** - *** ****** ** **, ****'* *** ****. *******, *** fact **** **'* ****** **** ** *** ********* ********* *** smaller ***-** ******** ** **** ** *** **** ***** ** okay *** ******. *** **** ** ********** **** *** *********** who ***'* **** ******* ***, ** ** *** ******** ** have **** **** ** ** & **** ***** - **** or ***** *** **** ****** *** ****, **** ****** **** than ** ****** **** ** ********* *********, *** *** ****'** doing *** ** **** **** *** **** **** ****. ******** suggestions *** ************ ** * *** **** *** *** *** is **** ** ****-**** ***** ******* **** **** ****** ** doing ******. ** **** *** * **** *** *** *** at * **** ***** ** *** ******* ******* *** **** taken *** **** ** **** *** **** * *** ****** later *** ***** ** *** ** **** *** ****/****, * think ** **** ******** *** ************ ******* *** *** ** you. *** **** ** ** *** ********** ** **** ***** to ******* **** ** ****** ** *** *** ** ** they *** ** *** ******** *******. ** **** ***'*, ** in **** ********, ***'* **** **** * *** **** ** it. **** **** ** ************ ******* ** *******, *** **** when *** * *** *******.