Subscriber Discussion

Is It Common To Move/Drive Bucket Truck With Technician In The Bucket?

Brian Karas
May 06, 2016
IPVM

Spotted this a little while ago while out at lunch. Comcast contractor doing some work, drove about 400' with the tech in the bucket as seen in the pic. Didn't have a chance to get it on video, but they moved up the street from one pole to another.

I know that some lifts are specially modified to allow this, but this didn't look like anything non-standard.

Is this common, or was this likely an infraction?

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
May 06, 2016

OSHA Regulation 1910.67(c)(2)(viii)

An aerial lift truck may not be moved when the boom is elevated in a working position with men in the basket, except for equipment which is specifically designed for this type of operation in accordance with the provisions of paragraphs (b)(1) and (b)(2) of this section.
(6)
(3)
UE
Undisclosed End User #1
May 06, 2016

Apparently it's okay for women to be in the basket while moving.

(1)
(10)
KL
Keefe Lovgren
May 06, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Apparently it's okay for women to be in the basket while moving.

gold... that is funny...

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
May 07, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Lol.

I just reported OSHA to the EEOC. Damn did that feel good.

(3)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
May 07, 2016

Hmm... My mother in law has been looking for some part time work, I'll let her know.

(1)
KL
Keefe Lovgren
May 06, 2016
IPVMU Certified

very bad idea... anyone who has operated a boom lift (such as genie z or s series) knows that when you hit a minor dip in your path your basket will nearly catapult you... the time you save in not lowering down and doing it properly is not worth it...

(5)
Jon Dillabaugh
May 08, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

Isn't that why you wear a harness and strap in? Sure, it could go badly, but that's why they make fall restraints.

That said, you wouldn't catch me riding in that moving bucket!

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
May 09, 2016

I believe OSHA requires a fall arrest harness when in a boom lift vs. a scissor lift.

Jon Dillabaugh
May 09, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

Yes arrest vs restraint. I tend to mix them up.

Kyle Folger
May 12, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Yes on the boom and no on the scissor lift. To my knowledge it's optional but scissor lifts are considered portable scaffolding with a railing. In a boom lift a harness is required and the tether type has many conflicting opinions. I use a fall restraint to keep me from going out of the bucket on an unforeseen bump. A fall arrest would typically make you fly further once it unraveled after impact.

(2)
Ethan Ace
May 06, 2016

One summer I spent a lot of time driving an offroad lift around what was going to be a parking garage relocating a bunch of voice, data, and security wires which ran through the area. Even with the bucket down, going down a slight incline could get a little scary.

On level ground, though, I've moved even very large (55') buckets while up in the air. Most aerial booms are regulated to a crawl when the boom is up, but I don't think that there's anything stopping a truck like the one in the topic here from moving.

PM
Paul Meltzer
May 06, 2016

I was told this guy is tied to the HVAC unit. They should have rented a bucket.Professional Security Systems Installer

(3)
Kyle Folger
May 12, 2016
IPVMU Certified

But the bucket truck wasn't in the budget :)

JG
Jeff Gack
May 06, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I would think it's very likely an infraction, and if it's not, it should be.

If that truck hits a big pothole or dip, that guy in the bucket might go for a ride.

They usually put outriggers out to make the truck stable.

Even in a scissor lift on concrete floors at creeper speed, I drop the lift quite a bit before moving.

(3)
MM
Michael Miller
May 08, 2016

@Jon D

Mike Dotson
May 09, 2016
Formerly of Seneca • IPVMU Certified

Probably not a good idea.

Go to the 40 second mark in this video for an example. Link

Jon Dillabaugh
May 09, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

Two reasons why that happened:

1) Missing his harness and tether

2) After the first axel lands, you are supposed to rotate the turret 180 degrees to replicate the effect of the first axel landing, which is downward force.

You can't fix stupid.

U
Undisclosed #2
May 09, 2016
IPVMU Certified

After the first axel lands, you are supposed to rotate the turret 180 degrees to replicate the effect of the first axel landing, which is downward force.

It's not bucket science.

(1)
U
Undisclosed
May 09, 2016
They'd do that with the bucket truck they had at Burningman for wireless set-up.
PC
Paul Chandler
May 10, 2016

Yes, common and sometimes necessary. Cable placing bucket trucks are made for this, they have stronger components than normal service type bucket trucks and an intercom between the basket and the cab. Many cable placers have a reel carrier on the back of the truck as well to pay out the cable as its being installed in wide open areas.

In aerial construction, the first thing that goes up is the strand cable, typically 1/4" steel. Once it has been tensioned, the fiber/coax/copper is lashed to the strand. In congested areas with lots of other cables or other obstructions, the strand, cable and lasher have to be threaded over, under and around them. A moving platform makes this job much easier.

or just use a helicopter like this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh_Gch9Xwto

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions