Subscriber Discussion

Is Dynacolor The New Low Cost OEM Camera Provider?

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
May 09, 2017

We are looking for competitive information on Dynacolor cameras.  It seems they are the new "non-Chinese" camera to OEM for low cost providers (OpenEye and others).  While Dynacolor is a Taiwanese company are the cameras produced in China? 

(1)
(2)
JH
John Honovich
May 09, 2017
IPVM

Dynacolor has been a significant OEM for many years. Unlike their Chinese rivals, Dynacolor, from what I have seen, has stayed fairly loyal to their OEMs. We generally don't cover Dynacolor because Dynacolor does not sell under its own brand to integrators / end users.

Dynacolor is fairly large relative to its low name recognition. They do over $100 million USD annual revenue though revenue was down 10%+ in 2016 (e.g, Q4, Q1-Q3 results).

As for where they manufacture, I assumed Taiwan but I'll put a question in to them and see what they say.

(1)
(3)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Jun 16, 2017

Did you ever get an answer from them?

Why not test them even if they don't sell under their own brand name. Think of it as covering 2 dozen re-brand names in one test. :)

As far as quality goes, what are some of the brands might one say this is comparable to?

Brian Karas
Jun 16, 2017
IPVM

Dynacolor primarily manufactures in Taiwan, though they do build some stuff in China, mostly for that market. Anything you seen from Dynacolor in the US should be of Taiwan origin.

As for testing their products, each OEM brand reselling Dynacolor equipment will have (or claim) specific customizations or other factors that would make a test of a "generic" Dynacolor camera less valuable.

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed
Jun 16, 2017

If they ship you a camera that reports a Dynacolor OUI (ethernet vendor header) then nobody has a right to claim "customizations".  Also the "customization" claim is not consistent with the "not my problem" claim.  

Brian Karas
Jun 16, 2017
IPVM

If they ship you a camera that reports a Dynacolor OUI (ethernet vendor header) then nobody has a right to claim "customizations". 

How so? You could customize a ton of the software stack, image processing, etc, without ever changing/touching the OUI.

Testing a "raw" Dynacolor camera would have little value because anyone OEMing the same unit would likely claim that their version differs from the base version, making the test less relevant. Or do you see it differently?

(1)
(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Jun 16, 2017

Over time last couple of years, we've OEM'd 4 different cameras from Dynacolor (1 PTZ, 1 bullet and 2 domes). We OEM'd them because they provided extreme temperature variation specifications (-40 C to plus 40 C) that our regular OEM at the time (ACTi) could not provide. We found Dynacolor cameras to be of very good quality and they were very easy to deal with as a company. I would definitely recommend them on service and quality of their product.

Their only problem is price. They are not in the price range of the Chinese manufacturers and we could only use them for niche offerings when required on some projects. We could not use them in our current day-to-day mass market offerings because they are are more expensive than the Chinese offerings for approximately equal quality.

(4)
Ethan Ace
May 09, 2017

All the Dynacolor OEM cameras I have here (3 I think, maybe more floating around) are manufactured in Taiwan.

(1)
(2)
U
Undisclosed
Jun 16, 2017

Security issues.  OEM'ed a lot, apparently don't respond well given I've had multiple Dynacolor OEM's just shrug their shoulders and claim "not my problem" when confronted with issues.  I'd avoid them.  Might as well bottom-feed the Chinese market elsewhere.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Jun 17, 2017

Looks like a sizable amount of Lorex aka Flir cameras come from Dynacolor. at least at the import shipping data.

http://www.usaimportdata.com/usa-import-ex-dynacolor-ct-taiwan.aspx

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Jun 17, 2017
IPVM

Looks like a sizable amount of Lorex aka Flir cameras come from Dynacolor

No, the FLIR cameras are for FLIR's DVTel 'division', not the Lorex 'division'. Lorex is primarily / substantially from Dahua, cite: Dahua US Imports - Here Is Their #1 Customer By Far

(1)
(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Jun 19, 2017

I think also TVT is sending a quantity to them also. 300 cartons is a fair amount of stock!

2017-01-16 854020 CAMERA 4323 300 CTN CHINA NEW YORK/NEWARK AREA, NEWARK, NJ SHENZHEN TVT DIGITAL TECHNOLOGY CO SPECO TECHNOLOGIES

U
Undisclosed #5
Sep 26, 2018

Maybe I missed it but, are Openeye cameras made by Dynacolor? I'd like to know who makes Openeye cameras.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions