Subscriber Discussion

Is Axis F Series Like Hdcctv In Concept, Indeed?

TG
Tedor Gligorich
Dec 11, 2014

F-series.

Ok, I get this limitator out up front: cable is only max to ~40ft. But beside length being much less lenghty and coax vs twisterpair issue, what is difference in tech concept to HDcctv?

What kind HD signal could be coarsing thru those wires? IP? CVI? SDI? Compression done in box, encoding in box. I know not trying to solv same problem as CVI, but at high level is similar?

BG
Bob Germain
Dec 11, 2014

The base unit is basically a 4 channel IP camera (like an encoder) and the camera heads are (my assumption) serially streaming raw data from the imaging head to the ISP/DSP. Maybe I2C?

JH
John Honovich
Dec 11, 2014
IPVM

HDcctv is designed such that third party encoders / recorders can work with different cameras / imagers.

Axis F series is Axis closed / only. You cannot attach the 'heads' / imagers' to anything else but Axis.

TG
Tedor Gligorich
Dec 11, 2014

I mean the HDcctv AT or CVI, I thought SDI was dead duck sitting in the water. Can you attach Dahua heads on non Dahua box? Maybe, havent heard yet.

But what mean really is not about closed or open, but meaning that Axis must be use some technology to do it, even if homegrown just for them.

So if they can just make it go 10 times longer (ok maybe prob is here) down the cable, they have their own CVI. Put hard drive and HDMI in that 4-port dongle and compete against low-costers and bottom-pricers.

JH
John Honovich
Dec 11, 2014
IPVM

Yes, you can attach "Dahua heads on non Dahua box."

If Axis comes out with an open / non IP camera, like CVI, TVI, etc., I'll buy you a trip to Disneyland.

I think Axis will resist very hard going that route because it would cause confusion, give validation to lower end rivals, etc.

(1)
(1)
TG
Tedor Gligorich
Dec 13, 2014

Ready or not, Orlando, here I go! Because exists Axis HDcctv here and 3 Axis CVI cameras for price of one here*

But I donate to Tod because also found out that He'S At It Again.... Same issue there, but you have much kinder to me than him, thanks for that!

*yes I know they only seem like Axis HDcctv for a sec.

Carl Lindgren
Dec 13, 2014

Tedor,

Although I have decided to end my flaming of Todd along with all participation in most LinkedIn groups (it had become boring), that was the gist of a number of pokes I took at the HDcctv Alliance in the past: the use of "HD" plus "CCTV" (HD CCTV, HDCCTV, etc.) by a number of promoters of products that were not actually "HDcctv" made name recognition challenging.

BG
Bob Germain
Dec 11, 2014

Tedor- Just as a technical comparison, Hikvision has a dual head covert camera with separate Main and Sensor modules. Ours have a 2m and 8m cable options. I asked my R&D if we used I2C (I Squared C) serial bus between sensor and main unit. It is not I2C but a different type of serial data bus. i suspect Axis is the same but I will defer to an Axis rep at this point.

U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 12, 2014

I don't think this unit in comparable to the hdcctv style products at all.

Almost every camera has some cable between the image sensor and the processing/encoding board. For most cameras, this cable is very short because the desire is to keep all the parts inside of a single small enclosure that can be sealed from dust, elements, etc.

For this camera, Axis targets a small niche, customers who want to mount camera sensors in unique enclosures or areas. This could be for covert purposes, for aesthtic purposes, or other reasons. But for those cases the desire is to have an image sensor in the smallest possible form factor.

Hdcctc products generally exist to reuse coax cables (though there are options for twisted pair), and they all try to emphasize the max cable length they can support. They also usually connect back to a DVR, which handles encoding, viewing, storage and so forth. The Axis camera base really would need a VMS in most cases (yes, I'm sure it has a simple web interface and maybe an SD card slot, but it wouldn't be a "full" system for most uses).

(2)
RP
Roger Paine
Dec 17, 2014

Interesting enough this may not be a merely academic question of "what's in the wire" as whether it's analog or digital might impact how many licenses one must buy.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions