Subscriber Discussion

Is Anyone Live Streaming From Their Booth At ISC West?

U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 06, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Why not? (Sans audio).

Brian Karas
Apr 06, 2016
IPVM

Never seen that done. Internet connectivity for shows is very expensive and not that reliable. Also it would just be a jumble of people.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 06, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Never seen that done. Internet connectivity for shows is very expensive and not that reliable.

How archaic!

How are all the VSaaS vendors getting by? Are they not able to demo their product?

Maybe next year :(

Brian Karas
Apr 08, 2016
IPVM

I saw quite a few demos that relied on internet connectivity have lots of hangs and pixelating. Not constant, but frequent enough that I don't think anyone would want to share their very expensive bandwidth with a live stream. IIRC, we used to pay about $1500 for 3 days of low quality connectivity.

U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 09, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Things have improved, but not much.

Rip-off for sure, but when your blowing $200,000 for the whole setup, $2000 to let the whole world in to your booth isn't crazy.

There may also be restrictions by ISC; I read that your not even allowed to take a picture of your booth without permission! You are supposed to use the show photographer.

They may not be promoting anything that could bring attendence numbers down.

U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 12, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Never seen that done.

Still some intrepid souls have tried. ;)

Brian Rhodes
Apr 06, 2016
IPVMU Certified

You might try Periscope for snippets during the show. But like BRK notes, connectivity on the floor is pretty terrible and unreliable.

Hans Kahler
Apr 09, 2016
Eagle Eye Networks

A couple of years ago, we (Eagle Eye) had live cameras in our booth. The bandwidth was great before the show started. Once the show started it didn't matter that we had paid several thousand dollars for the internet connection, it just didn't hold up.

The download speed seems to be ok - but upload is really limited. For the last few years we haven't had cameras at the show, but we demo live cameras from sites outside the show. It has worked out pretty well. The other issue is WiFi for demos on the mobile apps. The show floor gets so saturated with wireless signals that it's difficult to keep them running, regardless of the internet connection.

I will say that our experience with the internet connection at ISC West this year was better than previous years, but each trade show is a crapshoot as to what you're going to get.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 09, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Thanks Hans...

I would think that ISC best get its act together, and quick, as more and more solutions will rely on non-local processing/storage.

While enabling with enough bandwidth for every device on the floor may not be possible, building out wired infrastructure is straight forward, and judging by the comments, many mediocre data centers have far greater capacity.

Brian Karas
Apr 09, 2016
IPVM

It's not just ISC/The Sands, I can't recall any convention center that ever had 'good' connectivity.

Even for a pure connected solution, I think as an exhibitor you need to have a way to tell your story that doesn't solely rely on a live demo with internet connectivity. There are lots of ways to mock up networks to show the experience.

I also don't think live streams would be all that interesting, especially without audio, and I also know that some attendees would probably be uncomfortable being seen in some booths for various reasons. A dealer who is big with Company A might not want to be seen in a deep conversation with Company B, even though it all is technically public in a way at the show.

U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 09, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Even for a pure connected solution, I think as an exhibitor you need to have a way to tell your story that doesn't solely rely on a live demo with internet connectivity.

Yes, but we shouldn't let the trade shows off the hook so easily. To not "solely rely on a live demo" is good advice, but we should not be expected to solely rely on an offsite one, either.

IMHO, at least 10% of the exhibitors have some cloud component today, obviously increasing every year. Just because it sucks today doesn't mean it has to tommorow.

I'll wager that by March 31, 2019, 100Mb upload speeds will be had for under $1000 if not gratis.

...some attendees would probably be uncomfortable with being seen in some booths.

Agreed. Looking at the IPVM videos there are a few reaction shots that could be attributed to more than the sight of the novel apparatus of the itinerant investigator.

Hans Kahler
Apr 09, 2016
Eagle Eye Networks

The other interesting thing about the network availability at the show, is that the New Product Showcase does not provide internet connectivity for presentations. That may not seem like a big deal, but they have a 'Cloud Solutions' category as well as a 'Hosted Solutions/Managed Services' category. Those both seem to require some sort of internet connection, at least from my perspective. In their defense they offer the free show WiFi in the presentation room, but my experience has been that it's not wise to rely on that.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions