Subscriber Discussion

Are 4-State Supervised Inputs Required For Door Position Switches?

sS
sundar Subramanian
Mar 15, 2017

There are two types of inputs type for "door sense" available in access controller.

1. 2-state (basic)

2. 4-state supervised 

However, most installation with various locks and door type are working with 2-state input.

practically, 4-state supervised input required for any type installation ? if yes then why ?

Brian Rhodes
Mar 15, 2017
IPVMU Certified

In general, using supervised door position switches in access is rare.  

Unlike alarm contacts, DPS are not typically used to gauge security of the opening but simply whether or not the door is open or closed.

sS
sundar Subramanian
Mar 16, 2017

Thanks Brian.

"Unlike alarm contacts, DPS are not typically used to gauge security of the opening but simply whether or not the door is open or closed."

Like Alarm contacts, DPS wiring is sometimes long enough and It may require to detect shorted and open cases ?

Do you know any popular brand provides 4-state input for DPS ?

Brian Rhodes
Mar 16, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Do you know any popular brand provides 4-state input for DPS ?

No, I haven't found any!  Interesting.  For vault and jail cell work, I'd expect to find some options, but it appears that in many cases designs use redundant/multiple Open-Closed input switches.

TC
Trisha (Chris' wife) Dearing
Mar 16, 2017
IPVMU Certified

What about this one?

Brian Rhodes
Mar 16, 2017
IPVMU Certified

You have a link on that?  I'm having a hard time reading that one, and making the image bigger just makes the mess bigger.  :(

Richard Lavin
Mar 16, 2017
Salas O'Brien • IPVMU Certified

I believe that is the Andover Continuum system from Schneider Electric.

Here is a link to the sales sheet for their I/O Modules.

I had to deal with that system once several years ago.  Maybe it's improved since then but it seemed to me to be primarily a Building Automation System that does some access control on the side.

TC
Trisha (Chris' wife) Dearing
Mar 16, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Since Rich added the link, I'll just add this:

p.s. about the image: i made it display smaller to save space on the screen, but downloaded it at full resolution.  You should be able to right click and "open image in new tab" to see it clearly.

U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 16, 2017

Oh my beloved andover.   :(

5k/10k Ω

U
Undisclosed #2
Mar 16, 2017
IPVMU Certified

5k/10k Ω

5k/10k $  as well ;)

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions