IR Shield Technology (Clinton) Claims To Overcome Rain Or Dust

JH
John Honovich
Jun 16, 2016
IPVM

This is a very well done marketing video:

Two questions:

1. Is this a practical problem that you think needs to be solved?
  2. Do you think it's worth testing?

We do not hear a lot of complaints about this being a problem but maybe we've missed it.

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jun 17, 2016

1. Yes

2. Yes

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Jun 17, 2016
IPVM

1, can you elaborate on your answer to 1?

Is this a practical problem with your integrated IR cameras? :)

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jun 17, 2016

I have seen this with several brands. It has been addressed with gaskets and such but it's an issue.

Maybe this fixes it, maybe it doesn't.

U
Undisclosed #2
Jun 17, 2016

Nice video

but, you still get Halo effect.

Sold by Korean company for last few years

U
Undisclosed #2
Jun 17, 2016

Another housing by IR Sheld :)

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Jun 17, 2016

1. Yes. Even though we do not consider it a warranty item when dirt/dust impacts camera video it is a recurring challenge for clients. Granted, this is for IR only and seems like a fairly basic item to implement. Nonetheless, Clinton apparently recognized the issue first and they are due credit.

2. Yes, it would be worthwhile to compare marketing claims to reality.

(1)
Simon Barnes
Jun 17, 2016

Its one reason why I like these (no Halo effect) and it also sheds rain water easily because its flat.

Hilvision Turret Dome

(1)
Dan Clinton
Jun 18, 2016

Hi John,

Thanks for the post! We developed the IR Shield into our Vandal X IR dome cameras to eliminate IR reflection caused by rain or dust. Unfortunately, IR reflection is a common problem because most end users simply do not clean their cameras. Gaskets and foam rings only block IR reflection on the inside of the dome. Since the dome is transparent - IR light passes through the thickness of the dome and reflects back into the camera when the dome is dirty or wet.

The "IR Shield" is actually molded into the dome itself and does not allow IR light to pass through the portion that is in front of the lens.

We have some more information on IR Shield Technology here: www.clintonelectronics.com/irshield

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

If you would like to test one - just shoot me a message.

Thanks!

U
Undisclosed #4
Jun 18, 2016
IPVMU Certified

The IR shield is actually molded into the dome itself and does not allow IR light to pass through the portion that is in front of the lens.

Do you have a model that *does* let the IR light pass thru in front of the lens, on the return trip at least?

Dan Clinton
Jun 18, 2016

Of course IR Light can still pass through the actual non shielded part of the dome allowing the camera to be improved by IR Light.

What I am referring to is the actual thickness of the dome itself - that is the portion that will not let IR light pass through. Think of the dome like a piece of fiber optic - light passes through it until it's cut - the IR Shiled cuts through the dome and does not allow the IR light to be transmitted through the actual thickness of the dome.

U
Undisclosed #4
Jun 18, 2016
IPVMU Certified

So a built-in polarizing filter?

Dan Clinton
Jun 18, 2016

No, it's polycarbonate that cuts through the dome.

U
Undisclosed #4
Jun 18, 2016
IPVMU Certified

So this idea for domes?

Dan Clinton
Jun 18, 2016

Yep!

John Bazyk
Jun 19, 2016
Command Corporation • IPVMU Certified

Good marketing video, however, I do not see this as a major issue. If we install domes outside we install them under soffit or use a wall mount bracket so we don't have an issue with water. I've never seen someone spray a camera before. I guess that could happen I haven't seen the dust issue for the last three years. Hikvision added a much better rubber washer around the lenses of their value and pro series domes that solved the halo issue. In the past this was absolutly a problem and may still be for other manufacturers.

Simon Barnes
Jun 19, 2016

Which value dome do you refer to?

My supplier actually recommends this value camera only be used indoors so as to reduce the halo effect. DS-2CD2132F-I and would agree when the IR bounces off internal walls the effect is reduced.

Also you say you install under the soffits. Is this on a two storey building?

John Bazyk
Jun 19, 2016
Command Corporation • IPVMU Certified

I'm not sure why they would make that recommendation. We have installed hundreds of that same model outdoors. With the new 4MP domes on the market we're quickly moving to them. Better image quality, true WDR and H.264+ is nice.

We hardley ever install on two story buildings under the soffit. Too high up. This is when we use a wall mount bracket.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions