Subscriber Discussion

New Design Of IR Inside Domes

Richard Brady
Aug 29, 2013

I have been vocal about my dislike for dome cameras that have IR's installed inside the dome which in time cause all sorts of picture quality issues in low light conditions due to spider webs and other foreign objects that come to rest on the dome and reflect the IR back into the camera lens.  You get the picture!! (or not in this case!!)

Here is a logical and worthy solution.......New Design for IR Dome Cameras

I hope the big brands are paying attention!

Sean Nelson
Aug 29, 2013
Nelly's Security

This isnt really that new of a design, It just goes off the basic typical EYEball turrett design but is using a larger IR LED instead of the numerous smaller LED's. I think people still like going with the glass dome look sometimes though as it looks a little "better". I have seen some domes that have the regular glass on it yet they have the IR LED's on the metal base of the camera which still gives you that true dome look but prevents IR from setting behind the glass. Of course I cant find a picture right now when i need to.

Richard Brady
Aug 29, 2013

Hi Sean,

"This isnt really that new of a design, It just goes off the..................... I think people still like going with the glass dome look sometimes though as it looks a little "better". "

1. How many have you installed or have you actually held one and tested it? I for one have not (may be I'm slow?) but I'm going to order one today because this camera has the potential to make me great money based on this smart design.

2. Your not actually saying that your customers rather chose a camera based on its form factor and not its ability to capture uninterupted credible video?

Sean Nelson
Aug 29, 2013
Nelly's Security

1:) Yes I purchased one myself, its a great camera, but my customers would be like, "what the heck" when they see the chinese time stamp

2:) I didnt say that at all or anything close to it. I just said this is not a new design at all, its been around for years. The only thing different on this design is that it uses 1 LED instead of numerous. Example:
dome camera

Richard Brady
Aug 29, 2013

I couldn't see if there was a glass lens cover on the picture I posted. You can tell me otherwise as you have had one in hand. The lack of this glass lens covering both optics and IR is the feature I liked, in addition to the single LED.

Sean Nelson
Aug 30, 2013
Nelly's Security

No, it has no glass in front of it. What I mean by a glass dome is the typical vandal style dome, This is the type of dome style that you will sometimes have IR reflection because the IR sets behind the same glass as the lens. :

A turret style dome like the ones pictured previously do not have this issue because he IR's are separated from the lens and are not both setting behind the same glass.

Kyle Folger
Sep 01, 2013
IPVMU Certified

2. Your not actually saying that your customers rather chose a camera based on its form factor and not its ability to capture uninterupted credible video?

Many times an eyeball is not desired or any other form factor that doesn't look pleasing. Many jewelry stores do not want some ugly eyeball when a dome looks a lot better. I have found the IR reflection is greatly reduced when the seal around the lens sits flush against the dome. I'm all for a more pleasing dome form factor that totally eliminated IR reflection.

Ethan Ace
Aug 29, 2013

I just looked up Hikvision's announcement for these, and they're intended to be longer range and more even coverage. Of course, no idea if that's true. But they also state that the IR illumination is in a rectangular pattern, instead of round, to "maximize coverage area." It's at least conceptually interesting.

Richard Brady
Aug 29, 2013

Ethan, your Hikvision link is based on Analog technology but to your credit is housed in the form factor discussed.

I am referring to Digital inside the form factor 3MP 2.8mm +/- 90' IR DOME Camera

This is a brand new item that is back ordered at LTS security whom are still waiting for their first shipment. They do not even have a price on this item as of this date!

Sean Nelson
Aug 29, 2013
Nelly's Security

The issue with these cameras is that they were never intended to be sold in the USA. Basically they have Chinese firmware and the camera wont let you upgrade to an English firmware. its not too big of a deal as the web GUI is all in english but the time and date stamp is in Chinese.

JH
John Honovich
Aug 29, 2013
IPVM
Ethan Ace
Aug 29, 2013

Can we get that in Cantonese?

JH
John Honovich
Aug 29, 2013
IPVM

Ethan, it would be worth testing the original Hikvision version if these are directly available in the US.

Luis Carmona
Aug 29, 2013
Geutebruck USA • IPVMU Certified

I think I've seen a few similar in Asian ad emails. I've seen a lot of interesting designs, but doesn't mean the camera is any good or reliable.

Let us know though how the camera works for you.

BG
Bob Germain
Sep 01, 2013

John, Ethan- Hikvision USA is releasing the EXIR Turrets and Bullets in September. We have them available for your testing if you need samples. EXIR provides lower power consumption in addition to better coverage area and distance. I sent Ethan datasheets the other day.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions