Subscriber Discussion

IPVM On Demand Classes

JH
Jay Hobdy
Jul 20, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Any thought on making the classes on demand/self paced? 

It would be nice to be able to use the class as training for new techs, and have them complete them on our schedule.

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jul 20, 2017

A great idea. I'm a big proponent and user of lynda.com - self paced online educational content and recommend it to all my techs / colleagues. Given that IPVM already creates the content in a live forum, you could start by merely recording existing sessions then if there is enough uptake take the time to add more "production" time...

what about Q&A "office hours" for the self paced streams who are interested in passing the exams...

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Jul 20, 2017
IPVM

A few thoughts:

• We have books (which the courses are based on) that can be read on one's own, e.g., Surveillance Camera BookIP Networking Book, and Access Control Book. That's generally what I recommend to people who want to learn either right away or on their own schedule.
  • The benefit of having a 'live' course is that it helps people learn by (1) giving structure and (2) allowing for live exchanges to get questions answered and learn more in the process.
  • We definitely see the interest in having on-demand courses and we might do them at some point but the main concern is that people will not learn as well. To be clear, it is certainly much cheaper for us to simply put things on-demand but I do worry about the quality of that type of training.
(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #2
Jul 20, 2017

When I look at the current class running there are a number of students attending from outside north america in different time zones that declared are only going to be using the recorded sessions. There is not much difference in that then having an on-demand class. 

A resource I use to study for certification exams is ITPro.tv this is an excellent resource for many different training, but my point is they have to keep the course material up to date and thus charge a fee to be a member of the site. IPVM could do something similar for physical security technologies but in its own accreditation model. 

JH
Jay Hobdy
Jul 22, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I did the last access control class and I think I made one live webinar. The rest were from recordings. I scored a 98 on the final.

The difference between the course and the books, is I believe you may be introducing other material as well in the course. Plus it is more organized and structured. Reading a 300+ page book versus a few articles per category makes it more manageable. Throw in a Q&A forum and BAM!

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions