Subscriber Discussion

IPVM Is The Best Marketing Machine Hikvision Has Ever Had

VH
Victor Huang
Sep 29, 2016

You have been online since when? And Hikvision didn't even pop up on your radar until just a few years ago. So if one were to parse out the recent data, it would actually tip the scale that much more. IPVM has covered Hikvision far more than the proportional market share Hikvision garners.

IPVM used to be more broad and more balanced, I am afraid your credibility is slowly eroding away. I see far more outlandish click-baiting type of coverage than before. It is easy to beat up Hikvision, just like it is easy for TMZ to be obsessed with the Kadashians, but it doesn't make it any more appetizing. You have in effect became the best marketing machine Hikvision has ever had. They couldn't pay you enough for all the free coverage.

NOTICE: This comment was moved from an existing discussion: Dahua USA CEO Tim Wang, Where Is Your Integrity?

JH
John Honovich
Sep 29, 2016
IPVM

In terms of stats, we have ~9760 total items (between articles and discussions). Of those, our stats show ~630 Hikvision mentions, ~638 Avigilon mentions, and ~1310 Axis mentions.

As for "IPVM used to be more broad and more balanced," IPVM is and always will focus heavily on the biggest movers / companies in the English speaking world, whether it is Avigilon, Axis, Hikvision or whatever company emerges next.

Is IPVM Hikvision's best marketing machine? If we are, I am confused why Hikvision's execs and marketing people won't talk to me and literally run away when they see me in person.

We see many signs that our reporting on their government ownership has had a significant net negative impact on Hikvision in the US in the past year, which coincides with the time period they have refused to talk to us.

And if you think us reporting on their financial reports, and Chinese language news reports makes us TMZ covering the Kardashians, so be it, however obviously misguided that is.

(3)
(2)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Sep 29, 2016

You have in effect became the best marketing machine Hikvision has ever had

That's a really brilliant diatribe Victor.

I assume you're basing this off of the success stories of previous companies that were investigated by journalists like Worldcom, Madoff and Enron

(1)
VH
Victor Huang
Sep 30, 2016

Oh boy, those names are frauds. How did Hikvision defraud you or anyone else? Did your DVR suddenly explode? Madoff didn't get much coverage at all before the fraud was exposed, he kept low key. I am an ex-trader/hedge fund guy, and I never heard of Madoff until the bomb went off. Even Worldcom and Enron, few spotted the frauds before the fail.

For all the coverage of Hikvision, you would be hard pressed to come up with an actual example of fraud. So you do have an ax to grind because you are hiding under anonymous, and I suspect you are losing business to those guys. Are you losing business because of Hikvision's malfeasance or your own incompetence? I suspect the latter.

EP
Eddie Perry
Sep 30, 2016

whether i agree with Hikvision practices or ownership doesn't matter when they are gaining a greater market share every month.

if we had internet in the 90's like we do today you would see nothing but tons of articles about Pelco till around 2000 then it would about how AXIS is coming into the market dominating with service and IP cameras and all the copycats etc.

Hikvision will gain more mention as other manufacturers go out of business due to their massively subsidized capital they have amassed or continue to amass. Government subsidized companies always fail after a short period of time either by poor quality or destroying the market completely with a massive surplus of low cost product that no one needs after running all other manufacturers out of business.

so far as ethics I would like everyone to consider that just because ( for the moment) that most of us in the US have "our" standards and ethics, that other countries have different ones or may be lower or higher than "ours". you can not accuse a Chinese manufacturer of having no ethics because they dont meet your perceived level of ethical morality.

that being said if you know how a said business or individual operates, and you still choose to deal with them, then you accept that situation for what it is. the Chinese ( with the exception of Hong Kong) have had what ever ethics were allowed/ taught since the cultural revolution by the government that they have. they are vastly different from current US values even as US values have lowered over the past couple decades.

Every one has a boss, in Hikvisons case it is the Communist party of china. When your biggest shareholder/piggy bank says you will do A or else, you will do A or be replaced.That is the thing most Americans are afraid of. And since China's government has openly stated that they will step up their cyber-warfare division and since they are the biggest shareholder of Hikvision, its not much of a stretch to use Hikvision as a tool if applicable regardless of what Hikvision's employees think or say.

(3)
U
Undisclosed #2
Sep 30, 2016

"You have in effect became the best marketing machine Hikvision has ever had. They couldn't pay you enough for all the free coverage."

I guess it is true

I heard today that Tyco will drop some main lines of cameras and start to offer HIK mainly

Thank John :)

(1)
(3)
MM
Michael Miller
Oct 02, 2016

So to clarify you heard that Tyco (now Johnson Controls) will be leading with Hikvision?

Manfred Fichtl
Oct 02, 2016

just a thought, is it possible that Hickvision is so hell bend on getting such big market share so that the Chinese government gets easy access to industry and government with their cameras?

Makes you think.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Oct 03, 2016
IPVMU Certified

* Full disclosure - Satire ahead - Do not believe *

(8)
Jon Dillabaugh
Oct 03, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

I think, for better or worse, the industry surely knows now who Hikvision is. When I became a member a few years back, few knew much about Dahua or Hikvision. Now, every single member is fully aware. I think that was the underlying point Victor was trying to make.

It's a double edged sword for all. Hikvision would love to be a more well known brand, but not for the reasons that IPVM and other media have been reporting.

On the other side, you have the anti-Hikvision crowd who wants everyone to know that the Chinese gov owns a controlling interest, but yelling that on every street corner just makes everyone aware that they even exist.

If I were Hikvision, I would take all of the free exposure I could today, good or bad. The more people that know your brand the better. Then, down the road, after everyone knows your name, go about fixing the reasons for criticisms.

(2)
(1)
JH
John Honovich
Oct 03, 2016
IPVM

If I were Hikvision, I would take all of the free exposure I could today, good or bad. The more people that know your brand the better. Then, down the road, after everyone knows your name, go about fixing the reasons for criticisms.

Think about Hikvision - they are approaching 300 employees just in the US, advertise in essentially every trade mag every month, hired a trade mag editor, exhibit at every show possible. That is going to get the brand out regardless of a single website.

When you have Hikvision's essentially unlimited resources, you do not need nor want criticisms like this.

I do agree that if you and I were starting up a company and we had very little money, the 'all press is good press' / guerilla marketing technique could make sense, but that just does not apply to Hikvision's financial position.

after everyone knows your name, go about fixing the reasons for criticisms.

Seriously, JD, think about what you are saying. You are the President of Hikvision USA. You really want your RSMs having to answer questions of whether or why you are owned / controlled by the Chinese government? How are you going to 'fix' that?

Jon Dillabaugh
Oct 03, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

I agree that this one is a doozie, but maybe spin it so it seems less offensive. I've seen tons of political spin jobs that worked for the masses when I scratched my head and said are you serious?

JH
John Honovich
Oct 04, 2016
IPVM

I agree that spinning it so it seems less offensive helps. For example, Hikvision likes to talk about Westerners don't know anything about China, how people are out to get them etc.

I think that helps somewhat for some people but, from Hikvision's perspective, better to never even have that conversation than have such a concern public.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions