IPVM Changes Wordmark / Logo 2019

JH
John Honovich
Apr 06, 2019
IPVM

Minor thing but one person has already noticed it so wanted to post a short note. We have changed our wordmark / logo.

Previous:

New:

It is obviously an incremental change. We removed the gradient since it looked dated and had some problems printing / displaying in certain formats. We improved readability by separating the letters. And the dark blue is to symbolize professional, security, formality.

Any feedback or questions, please let us know.

(1)
(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 06, 2019

I liked the old logo/wordmark.

I dislike the new one.

since you asked.

(2)
(1)
(1)
JH
John Honovich
Apr 06, 2019
IPVM

Ok, thanks. Why?

U
Undisclosed #2
Apr 06, 2019

One or few letters should be RED

Red is an aggressive color!

From the Internet

"The color red is one of the basic colors, and it is one that immediately draws our attention. Here are some of the associations that red has. It is the color associated with energy and aggressionRed has an effect on our physiological state since it increases heart rate and makes us breathe faster"

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Apr 06, 2019
IPVM

Red is already taken...

File:Flag of the Chinese Communist Party (Pre-1996).svg ...

(1)
(12)
U
Undisclosed #2
Apr 06, 2019

No worries,

I will get permission for you:)

(2)
U
Undisclosed #5
Apr 06, 2019

Is JH a crip?

(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 06, 2019

The old word mark had (at least) something beyond just being 4 letters in a row.

Now that your word mark is simply 4 letters in a row, I think it loses some of it's innate panache.

(4)
U
Undisclosed #5
Apr 06, 2019

The new one is clean with the font being the render. Adding graphics to that was cool a decade ago, I like the new logo. 

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Apr 06, 2019

I’m not in marketing but I think this isn’t a net positive. Your old logo was clearly identifiable.  

(5)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #4
Apr 06, 2019
IPVMU Certified

well it’s not really a logo anymore, it’s just a font, and a sans serif one at that.

i think it needs a hook, what about making the “V” a different shade of blue, or?

(2)
U
Undisclosed #4
Apr 06, 2019
IPVMU Certified

also, is there a slight difference in these two renderings?  Fwiw, I like the thicker letters with less spacing, like the top one seems to have...

JH
John Honovich
Apr 06, 2019
IPVM

#4, thanks for calling that out. I am going to check with our graphics person.

UI
Apr 06, 2019

You could always rebrand to “ThatBlogger” 

(1)
(2)
Anthony Jones
Apr 06, 2019

I prefer the older one. The V makes it stand out, draws attention. You realize that it is a logo and not just letters. I have always been proud of my logo. I did change colors from red to lime green since that seemed to be a tech thing to do. I can't take credit for my logo. I stole it from the old SBC logo. I figured they weren't using it anymore.  

(1)
U
Undisclosed #4
Apr 06, 2019
IPVMU Certified

(2)
U
Undisclosed #5
Apr 06, 2019

So when can I upgrade my Lanyard???

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #4
Apr 06, 2019
IPVMU Certified

you don’t want to trade it in now, it’s value just went way up ;)

(1)
(2)
U
Undisclosed #6
Apr 06, 2019

I have a few I'll sell you. How about $10/ea?

(1)
U
Undisclosed #4
Apr 06, 2019
IPVMU Certified

sure but only if they are the ones with blue Wiegand filaments... 

Lynn Harold
Apr 08, 2019

There's something about new font that makes it look 'cut off' at the bottom, like the vertical spacing was off and the letters got clipped.  I prefer the old logo.  

(4)
Marty Major
Apr 08, 2019
Teledyne FLIR

absolutely no offense to the creator of the new logo (as everyone has their own opinion and there is no definable right or wrong in this space) - but I also like the old logo better.

(2)
JH
John Honovich
Apr 08, 2019
IPVM

Lol, our same designer designed the new and old wordmark, so he will not be offended. Also, I think the new wordmark is better overall but either way, I don't see it as big a major impact on the company or brand.

Here is his rationale and references:

https://logojoy.com/blog/media-company-logos/
https://logojoy.com/blog/logo-redesigns-2018/

• gradient color will make the logo looks dated (unless use in simplest way like in visa on instagram)

• I'm not a fan of following trends, but current redesign/refresh logo most of them has the same step "improve readability" ("strong fonts", "take the most simplest form", "flat colour") and I have no reason not to use them in here as they have positive impact on brand.

• not connected letter; beside for readability improvement it also open possibility to write it in 2 line for use in square format (for web icon, social media, etc)

Lynn Harold
Apr 08, 2019

As long as you don't follow the new Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) guidelines for upper/lower case for post-mounted street signs.  Your logo might look like this:

(1)
(3)
U
Undisclosed #5
Apr 08, 2019

IPVM

U
Undisclosed #4
Apr 09, 2019
IPVMU Certified

IPVM

the IPVM editor is absolutely merciless when it comes to embedded whitespace and extended characters.

is this close to what you originally posted?

Marty Major
Apr 08, 2019
Teledyne FLIR

yeah whatever.

I disagree with all of that based on my own personal ADHD-based love of continuity.

if I was 23 years old I'd vote for AOC and mount a campaign to restore the original IPVM logo...

but I am old now and love what I do... so I choose to fight the battles where I can have at least some kind of influence over the outcome...

(1)
(2)
U
Undisclosed #4
Apr 08, 2019
IPVMU Certified

if I was 23 years old I'd vote for AOC and mount a campaign to restore the original IPVM logo...

I’d be happy with an “ignorance is bliss” config option :)

(5)
U
Undisclosed #5
Apr 08, 2019

60 is not old, however in the mind if feels good.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #7
Apr 08, 2019

That M is going to bug me. It looks like it's trying to split in half. Not sure why, but the V doesn't bother me as much that way. Either the M needs to squish together or pull apart - the tension is killing me!

(1)
Ari Erenthal
Apr 08, 2019
Chesapeake & Midlantic

Not a fan. The old logo was immediately identifiable. This one just looks like a placeholder to show where the logo should go once it's finished. 

(7)
(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #8
Apr 09, 2019

Dude, the new logo sucks! You’re riding the wave of your massive China scope and you pick NOW to rebrand!?! Pull a CocaCola “new coke” and pump fake that change. 

(2)
UI
Apr 09, 2019

I could be wrong, but maybe IPVM is trying to show they are more than video.  Popular with millennials might be IPVAINSM?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #9
May 30, 2019

Didn't the new logo also have a lighter shade of blue or is it just me?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions