Subscriber Discussion

Problems Accessing An Ipv6 Camera

JV
Jason Vidéo
Mar 09, 2014

Hello IPVM

Was talking with a client who was told by their satellite ISP that it was impossible to use IPv4 to view their Sony SNC-CX600W camera from outside the LAN. The client is using an Asus RTN53 which supports IPv6.... question is how and if it is possible to access the camera from outside the network?

It is also apparent that IPv6 does not need port forwarding.... is this because the device is directly on the internet with no "routing" aside from it's allocation of an IPv6 address from the DHCP server?

Any insights would be great

IPV6

JA
J. A. 'Cal' Calcaterra
Mar 09, 2014

Considerations. I did a search |what is my cameras ipv6 address| Quite a bit of information out there. Some of it appears conflicting. :-(

Might start with this link from that search: IPv6: Five Things You Should Know | PCWorld

The search |ipv6 test|

Tried a couple. One said,

"You appear to have no IPv6 at this time..

You appear to have no IPv6 address.

It looks like you have only IPv4 Internet service at this time. Don't feel bad - most people are in this position right now. Most Internet service providers are not quite yet ready to provide IPv6 Internet to residential customers.

Many of the visitors to the site are new to what IPv6 is. If you don't know why IPv6 matters, see the Why IPv6 FAQ. This will give you a bit of background of what to expect with IPv4 in the coming months and years; and perhaps some incentive to ask your ISP when they will offer IPv6.

If you strongly believe you have IPv6, but we were unable to detect it: it means one of a couple of things. Either your organization is blocking the use of IPv6 to talk to the outside Internet through network policy; or perhaps what you see with IPv6 on your host is not a global address. Any address starting with "::", "fc", "fd", or "fe" are unable to work with the public IPv6 Internet.

If you are savvy with technology, you can be an early adopter of IPv6, consider learning more about 6to4 providers (managed 6to4 tunnel services). The use of automatic tunnels is discouraged [see more]."

But a command propmt 'ipconfig /all' says I do???? Well darn. Of the two ipv6 addresses showm the 2nd starts with "fe". :-(

Also Assigning an IPv6 Address to a Device | Microsoft Docs

The above states, "You do not need to configure IPv6 addresses manually. Unlike in IPv4, DHCP is not used in IPv6 to configure an IP address and subnet mask automatically. Instead, the link-local scope of an IPv6 addresses is always configured automatically."

I WAS subscriber (NO MORE!) to the "Ask Leo" nesletter. Here is some pontifcating by him from one of his newsletters about ipv6. Found by a search |ipv6 address "ask leo"|

Will IPv6 break my internet on old machines?

"In short, I truly believe that the average consumer won't notice much for a very long time. Things will continue to work. Eventually, your ISP will give you an upgraded modem that will support IPv6. The next router switch or hub that you purchase will also very likely support IPv6 as well."

AND (He goes on to say)

"Someday...

Someday, the majority of sites and services that you use will all support IPv6 in addition to IPv4.

Someday, when setting up a new internet connection, your ISP will just give you IPv6 equipment and an IPv6 address.

Someday, your ISP will ask you to upgrade the modem or router on your existing internet connection.

Someday, websites and the internet will stop supporting IPv4.

It's only when that last someday happens that your old devices that can't support IPv6 will start to have problems.

And that day is years away."

Is that SOMEDAY here? I never got a response challenging same. But a few folks managed to get through. :-)

I AM interested in anything that shows how to coonnect to a camera via ipv6.

Marty Major
Mar 09, 2014
Teledyne FLIR

Jason,

Because of it's structure, IPv6 has 340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211,456 combinations.

Many, many more than will ever be needed. For that reason, if your ISP is using IPv6, they will generally assign you as many addresses as you need (hundreds easily) and each of your devices can use a unique (public) address. Then, no router is required, and you can just use switches.

Because the IPv4 structure 'shares' one public IP address, the LAN router can (and does) act as a firewall - since all traffic has to pass through it to reach the local IP-addressed devices.

Even though IPv6 doesn't require port forwarding, you can configure some routers with IPv6 port forwarding if either:

1. you want to retain the obviously more secure topology of having a local router to filter and block stuff, or

2. your ISP only issues you one IPv6 address.

As to why it would be impossible to use IPv4 to view the cameras, I have no idea. :)

RW
Rukmini Wilson
Mar 10, 2014

Then, no router is required, and you can just use switches.

Are you referring to Layer 3 switches? Of course NAT is not required, but surely something still has to 'route' the packet to the appropriate subnet, just like it does thru the rest if the internet's routers today.

P.S. I'm maybe a Gokyu in networking so I'm probably mistaken...

Marty Major
Mar 10, 2014
Teledyne FLIR

actually, I was just referring to the lack of any need for NAT (done by the router in IPv4 - which owns the only public address).

For configuring LANs using link-local addressing in IPv6 (so each LAN device uses the same gateway device) check this out:

IPv6 deployment: Using link-local addresses as default gateway

Marty Major
Mar 10, 2014
Teledyne FLIR

and as far as my level of kung fu in IPv6.... I didn't make the video (but i was close)

Luis Carmona
Mar 10, 2014
Geutebruck USA • IPVMU Certified

That's not funny. The 3rd guy is my dad.

JV
Jason Vidéo
Mar 09, 2014

Hi Marty

Thanks for the follow up.... if the Asus router allocates IPv6 addresses and the camera has an IPv6 address shouldn't it be accessible from a browser with http://[IPv6 ADDRESS] ? Was trying it but did not work....

Marty Major
Mar 09, 2014
Teledyne FLIR

Well, when I got out of direct support IPv6 wasn't used (at least by any of my customers at that time) - so I have no experience with IPv6 remote camera access. :(

But even if the camera was configured with an IPv4 address, device NICs should be able to use either protocol stack (but maybe not both at the same time without some high level technical wizardry) depending on which protocol you are using when trying to connect to the device. So even an IPv4 addressed camera should be able to be seen from outside the LAN - if the gateway device lets it.

Again, my kung fu skills are weak in this arena, but possibly the ISP is only allowing the IPv6 protocol on their WAN.

Hopefully, someone else with IPv6 skills can weigh in on reaching cameras using IPv6 addresses. :)

Marty Major
Mar 09, 2014
Teledyne FLIR
Follow up: Did you attempt to hit the default gateway's IPv6 address (after first setting up IPv6 port forwarding to the IPv6 address of the camera on the gateway)?
Marc Pichaud
Mar 09, 2014

With IPv6 all the equipemnts shall be compatible with it on the Wan, like when you are doing Multicats in a Lan .... But As most of the time you are in A Lan connected to several sub operators then back to a Lan, IPV6 isn't enable yet on the core operator equipments ( where you find the big Cisco 's) The "TraceT " Dos command illustarted the numberof sub hops your IP packets are doing to rech the target.We all have PC, Cameras and DSL boxes "ready for IPV6"since a while (6 or 7 years now I presume.).. but still not yet relevant .. In theory an IPV4 address can coexist with an IPV6 segment at an operator. Your solution is on the IPV4 side. Discover which port could be used instead of those which are obviously closed by the satellite operator (in the camera, in the NVR) Can you enable DynDns on your remote equipments ?

RW
Rukmini Wilson
Mar 09, 2014

Agree with Marc, punching a hole in the IPV4 side seems the most likely solution. Jason you said that they were "told by their satellite ISP that it was impossible to use IPv4"', but did they say speciifically that ipv6 was allowed?

Try this: goto canyouseeme.org and put in their ip, then you can try changing the ports around and see if one like 8088 can work..

SP
Sean Patton
Mar 09, 2014

Are you sure you can even ping that v6 address from outside of the network? Also the v6 address might not correctly redirect to a live view page? Try accessing a /setup or /admin page.

JV
Jason Vidéo
Mar 09, 2014

Hi All

The camera IPv6 does respond to pings..... defaukt gateway does not.

Online Ping IPv6 - SubnetOnline.com

The DDNS that was on the modem responded to pings as well but returned a different address than what showed on Whats My IP.

RW
Rukmini Wilson
Mar 09, 2014

The camera IPv6 does respond to pings..... defaukt gateway does not.

From the internet or lan?

JV
Jason Vidéo
Mar 09, 2014

Internet

JV
Jason Vidéo
Mar 11, 2014

Hi Sean

Hughes sattelite suggested using IPv6 .... got this answer from Asus http://support.asus.com.cn/Search/KDetail.aspx?SLanguage=en&no=C1F76B79-98EF-159B-26C8-E19EBB508A99&t=2

not sure this would work with network/IP cameras

the camera did respond to pings during the weekend but currently does not

SP
Sean Patton
Mar 11, 2014

Can you disable the v4 address/portion of the NIC? The camera might not handle dual stacked networks well/properly.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions