iPhone X - Finger Out, Face In

JH
John Honovich
Sep 13, 2017
IPVM

Money quote:

Apple is also moving away from fingerprint authentication. The method that replaces it is called Face ID and does what the name suggests: it unlocks the phone just by having you look at it. It’s based on the tech in the notch at the top of the phone: it combines an IR system with the front camera and a so-called flood illuminator that beams a light at your face so it can be recognized even in the dark. Apple even went the extra step of building a dedicated neural engine — based on a dual-core custom chip design — to process face recognition in real time.

Face ID, according to Apple, is orders of magnitude more secure than Touch ID.

Any thoughts on this feature or the new phone?

John Scanlan
Sep 13, 2017
IPVM • IPVMU Certified

I use thumbprint sign in on my iPhone now, and prefer it much more than pin.  I also use fingerprint security for some banking apps, again preferred over pin (less credentials to remember and quicker  / easier access).  I use face rec to sign into my laptop and prefer it over pin and fingerprint - it works accurately and very quickly.  I look forward to the same on the new phone, but it's not a feature that will make me buy the phone rather an added bonus I will look forward to when my current phone fails.

(3)
TC
Trisha (Chris' wife) Dearing
Sep 13, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I use face rec to sign into my laptop and prefer it over pin and fingerprint

What vendor are you using for face recognition?

John Scanlan
Sep 13, 2017
IPVM • IPVMU Certified

It is a Windows 10 feature, Windows Hello, which uses the webcam / IR hardware in my laptop.

(1)
Kyle Folger
Sep 13, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I use the same on the Surface 4 Pro. I found it to work really well so far. It saves the pain of being in a public setting and typing in passwords. It does seem like Apple is taking it a step further to work even better than laptop camera system.

Brian Karas
Sep 13, 2017
IPVM

I don't like the idea of not being able to unlock the phone without looking directly at it. Just seems like it would be less fluid, to me.

Related, in iOS 11 there is a 'feature' where you can disable fingerprint/face sign in by clicking the power button 5 times quickly. If you fear you may be running into a situation where you could be forcefully required to login via biometric data, this will force the phone to require your passcode, which for now courts have ruled you do not need to divulge.

(5)
Jon Dillabaugh
Sep 15, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

They said in the Apple Event that it requires your attention to unlock the phone. It isn't enough to simply be in view of the camera. It tracks your eyes and you have to look at the camera to unlock.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Sep 13, 2017

I think I would prefer fingerprint sign in on a phone for the reasons Brian Karas stated about aligning it to my face in the shot.  I will say though that I had an Alienware laptop around 2011 that had excellent facial recognition built in so I can see it working well.  The difference is that the user is much more likely to be oriented properly with a laptop display.

(1)
RD
Roman Dabrowski
Sep 13, 2017

Late at night, when I am asleep and my phone rings, the last thing I want is a light in my face and eyes for me to answer the phone!

(2)
(1)
Kyle Folger
Sep 13, 2017
IPVMU Certified

In the dark it should be infrared, so it's not like the light is going to blind you. I barely notice it on the Surface 4 Pro. Often times when I wake up the screen brightness alone is what is blinding, even with night mode on.

(1)
Rian Schermerhorn
Sep 18, 2017

While I share your lack of love for bright lights in your face when waking up in the middle of the night, you don't need to enter a security code to answer a call on the iPhone...just swipe and go.  You don't even need to unlock it to make a call if you use Siri.

As Kyle mentioned below, though, the light is IR, so it would not be blinding you regardless.

Ari Erenthal
Sep 13, 2017
Chesapeake & Midlantic

I suppose this means I can never shave my beard off.

(2)
Kyle Folger
Sep 13, 2017
IPVMU Certified

By what they described, it will learn your face. If it works as they describe, facial hair shouldn't cause issues.

(1)
Kyle Folger
Sep 13, 2017
IPVMU Certified

What I'm more interested in is that I had read that NFC is being opened to developers in iOS11. Yubico has been experimenting with the NFC API. There is currently an issue, but I would like to be able to use an NFC YubiKey with the iPhone for use in 2FA applications. I like having something physical that is separate from the phone. Unfortunately, it has only worked with Android and I don't want to carry around a USB to Lightning adapter.

With that being said, I would probably prefer Face ID to Touch ID because I find when the sensor gets dirty, I have to enter a pin anyways. 

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Sep 15, 2017

Personally, I'll still be buying 6s's on eBay.  Face recognition sounds like it will require a lot more interaction to open the phone.  If I'm in a public place, I may want to open my phone and peek at it discreetly.  Add to that the persistent lack of a headphone jack, and I'm not going to upgrade any time soon.

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Sep 15, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Add to that the persistent lack of a headphone jack, and I'm not going to upgrade any time soon.

Apple includes a Lightning to 3.5mm adapter with every 7 phone and you can buy them for like $4 a piece online.  I'd assume that X models will include them too.

I use one nearly daily, and they work well enough the onboard jack isn't missed.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Sep 15, 2017

I travel 75%.  Silly things like this get lost quickly.  This also means you can't have an earbud and be charging, which makes getting in a rental car in California, turning on GPS, and getting on a call a real pain.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Sep 15, 2017

In California it is illegal to drive with dual headphones on anyways.  Left over from Sony Walkman days when people would jam their mix tapes on full and not hear the ambulance/fire trucks sounding their 120db horns right behind them.

DL
David Lieberman
Sep 18, 2017
IPVMU Certified
That's a good point, UM #. To clarify, I use a 3.5 mm patch cord to listen to music through my car's speakers while I charge with the lightning cable. With the newer iPhone models I don't have that option. What I find irritating is that can give the consumer both options, but choose not to. Likewise, they can give the consumer both finger print and facial recognition, but choose not to.
Brian Rhodes
Sep 18, 2017
IPVMU Certified

One thing to file away for future consideration - adapters built to support both lightning charge and 3.5mm audio jack input simulatenously:

(various models ~$10- $15 from different vendors)

DL
David Lieberman
Sep 18, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Well, see there? That's probably a pretty good option! Of course, an integrated jack would be better :-)

Jon Dillabaugh
Sep 18, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

No, a larger battery is better. Use Bluetooth or an adapter. 

(3)
(1)
DL
David Lieberman
Sep 18, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I'll have to go the adapter option. I bought my car 9 years ago -- best car I've ever owned, the most fun, and the most reliable -- but no  Bluetooth.

Jon Dillabaugh
Sep 18, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

That's a simple problem to fix as well. You can get a BT to FM modulator. Or you could possibly replace the radio with something from this century lol

(1)
(1)
(1)
(1)
DL
David Lieberman
Sep 18, 2017
IPVMU Certified

John: Now, there you'd be talking about my other car -- a '95 Trooper I use for Costco, Home Depot, and off-road.  :-) 

2nd best car I've owned, but from another century.

Brian Karas
Sep 18, 2017
IPVM

You can essentially add Bluetooth audio to your car for $20, one of many options:

Mpow Bluetooth Receiver/Transmitter

(1)
DL
David Lieberman
Sep 18, 2017
IPVMU Certified
I use the headphone jack to listen to music in my car and the lightning cable to charge it -- both simultaneously. With he 3.5 mm adapter you're limited to one or the other. A particular issue with drives of long duration, like driving to Arizona, or driving 4 blocks in LA to get to a Starbucks.
(2)
Rian Schermerhorn
Sep 18, 2017

I thought the removal of the headphone jack would be a huge inconvenience, but it's really not.  First, the new phones -- including the brand new iPhone 8/8+ -- come with a set of earbuds that use the lightning connector in addition to the adapter (only useful if you have a nice set of headphones you still wish to use, like the Bose noise cancelling type).  

If you're worried about lack of power, I HIGHLY recommend the Apple Smart Case ($99) for the smaller 6s/7/8 models.  I've used mine for a year and never had lost power in the course of a day, even when using GPS for hours in the car and streaming music non-stop.  And unlike the other options, like Mophie, it still has the Lightning connector port on it instead of the micro-USB.

Lastly, consider the newer AirPods for your headphones.  There are wireless, charge in their case, and sound very good.  You can use one at a time for phone calls and switch back & forth (use one while other charges, switch every 4-5 hours) for virtual non-stop use all day.

When you put all this together, it becomes insanely convenient and easy to manage.

• My Bose noise cancelling headphones stay in my laptop bag for air travel
  • My Apple AirPods stay in my pocket and need to be recharged once every few days for normal calling or casual music when in Starbucks, restaurants, etc.
  • My phone NEVER loses power before I head to bed because of the Smart Case, so I never really worry about finding a place to charge or hooking it up to my rental car

Hope this helps...if you really not into the facial feature on the iPhone X, just go with the new 8 and you'll still have these options available to you.  Good luck!

(1)
Sean Nelson
Sep 15, 2017
Nelly's Security

I think its good news for facial recognition features in the surveillance industry.

At any rate, I still wasnt that all excited about the iphone x. The screen is cool, but woopty doo. Ill probably get one though :)

I was rooting for the google goggles, but sadly they are no more.

(1)
Sean Nelson
Sep 18, 2017
Nelly's Security

just found out that the x screens are manufacturered by Samsung. Ouch!

Jon Dillabaugh
Sep 18, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Samsung has been a supplier to Apple for many years. Nothing new. 

(1)
Franky Lam
Sep 19, 2017
Zen Foods Group

SORRY, I am a iPHONE fans...:-) But in HKG, people do making fun of the FACE ID is a bad thing for the guys. Coz your girlfriend or maybe wife can easy to unlock your phone during your sleep.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions