Subscriber Discussion

IP Vs Analog For Up To 32 Cameras?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Nov 25, 2016

Please assist me with this.....

I have two jobs in which im going to install up to 16 cameras and the other one up to 32 cameras. Im a little bit confused on the whether to use IP or analogue cameras. For most of the installations i have used analogue system main reason being that: analogue can work even without internet while IP cameras need internet all the time (that's my little knowledge).

Through my learning i encountered somewhere that for cameras with internal storage when there is no internet the camera keeps on recording in the card or when there is NVR the recordings will be stored in the HDD and played back from there.

For IP cameras, if there is no or limited internet you can't have live views?

Im just confused with IP cameras, please clear the mist.

JH
John Honovich
Nov 25, 2016
IPVM

#1, if you are comfortable with analog, and there is not special needs for this install, probably analog will work best for you.

In terms of your specific questions / points. IP cameras don't need the 'Internet' (by this the public Internet) to record as both IP cameras and recorders are typically on-site (VSaaS/hosted video is different).

As for recording to IP cameras with internal storage, this increases cost and complexity and generally makes sense for larger projects that have to use IP.

Related, this might help: HD Analog vs IP Guide 2016

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Nov 25, 2016

Thank you very much John... the report even summed up everything nicely

Alex Gonzalez
Nov 25, 2016
IPVMU Certified

IP Cameras dont need internet access in order to record as long as you have the NVR on site. For an IP installation you should create a local network for NVR and cameras, if there is an internet interruption there wont be any remote access to the system but it will still record locally within the local network.

IP or HD Analog depends on the complexity of the installation.

If all 16 or 32 are going to be installed in one building,if there is no difficulties running cables, meaning it will be straight forwards cable runs i would go with HD Analog.

If is multiple buildings or parking lot on poles cameras included installation i would go with IP, it gives you the options of separate cable hub or connections, meaning not all the cameras cables (cat5/6) have to be home run to the NVR. I like IP for the flexibility of installation it provides compare to HD Analog.

FM
Frantz Mathias
Nov 29, 2016

Allow me to be very frank and hope this will help.

Your post shows you have very little knowledge of IP . If you are to tackle IP cameras you will need to learn and a lot about IP networking and the vast world of IP cameras. There is a lot to digest, it is worth it however: the entire world has gone IP from phones to your fridge or even the lighting in your home ( see here) or your thermostat ( See Here) ... So if you don't get IP don't go IP ..yet.

The thing is, you won't be losing much if anything in term of image quality. HD-CVI and TVI give little to nothing to IP in term of Image Quality and there are HD analog NVR with very nifty capabilities in the TVI world. Cost is almost on a par with analog. installation is what you have been doing for all these years that is Coax with a zip cord or Siamese with BNC at the end. Results can excellent. If your customer doesn't need all the bells and whistles of IP then go HD-TVI.

The Internet runs on IP , IP doesn't need the Internet to run. IP camera system can ( and many would say should) be disconnected from the Internet.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions