Subscriber Discussion

IP Camera Video Tearing

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jan 27, 2016

Hi Guys,

I have e-mailed Hikvision support about this issue before and did not get a resolution from them. I now have 16 cameras (out of 20) with this issue and am wondering if anyone else ever encountered this. The are the symptoms:

1) Camera has a very high ping (average of 2310ms ping)
2) Camera is very hard to reach (it takes forever to load the camera in a web browser)
3) Footage "tears" on the VMS - a person shows up on the screen, vanishes for a but, there is a blur, and then they re-appear later on in the frame
4) Camera randomly disconnects from the VMS for 10-15 seconds then comes back online
5) VMS does shows low frame rates when motion detected (5fps, 14fps, 2fps, etc.), when the camera is set to 30fps

The cameras in question are 1.3MP Hikvision models 2112 and 2112F from different batches. I have updated the firmware on all 20 cameras to the latest (with great difficulty). The four cameras that are working just fine are connected in the same way on the same network equipment (one Netgear FS728TP). The ping on the "good" cameras is reading <1ms.

Has anyone ever experienced this with CAT5e cables close to 120VAC lines or cameras close to wireless access points? Those are my two going theories at this moment...

DM
Duncan Miller
Jan 27, 2016

The first step in troubleshooting would be to certify the network cabling. That will tell you if you have bad cabling, bad terminations, or interference. All of these problems could be the root cause of your problem. Until you certify the cabling you are really just playing guessing games. If all the cabling comes back good then you can start checking the other layers of the network for issues.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 27, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I now have 16 cameras (out of 20) with this issue and am wondering if anyone else ever encountered this.

Did the cameras that are malfunctioning always malfunction?

Have you swapped the good and bad ones?

Agree with Duncan to certify the cable, but if you're waiting for the tester, you could swap them to verify its something besides the camera,

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Jan 27, 2016
IPVM

1, consider disconnecting all cameras except for one of those malfunctioning. Alternatively, take one of the malfunctioning cameras are connect it to a different switch by itself and test it to your computer. Or if you have another FS728TP, try swapping it.

First guess is that it is a switch issue, which would be a more straightforward explanation than a cable issue.

Related, I wonder if this is related to insufficient PoE power. Your switch is spec'd for 192 watts, which might be an issue for 20 cameras depending on how power the switch is allocating to each camera. Specifically, your description of "Camera randomly disconnects from the VMS for 10-15 seconds then comes back online" is often caused by PoE power.

(2)
(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions