Subscriber Discussion

IP Camera In Elevator

mh
mark holm
Nov 16, 2016

Is it possible to use a wired IP camera in an elevator (only 2 floors).  I'm told that this is impractical, and that an analog camera might work better.  I'd be interested if anyone has successfully used wired IP successfully in an elevator, and if so, what camera was used?  Thanks!

(1)
Patrick Bailey
Nov 16, 2016

You can most definitely install an IP camera in an elevator, however, you need to assess what type of cable you will have available to use in the elevator's traveler cable. I have deployed IP cameras in elevators utilizing 2-wires, 4-wires, coax, etc. Typically you will not find CAT cable in the traveler bundle because it doesn't hold up well in that environment. Keep in mind you will need to utilize an Ethernet converter made to transmit over the cable type you have available. Look towards Veracity, Nitek, Comnet, etc.

RD
Roman Dabrowski
Nov 16, 2016

You may be able to use wireless as well. Antennas at the top of the shaft and on top of the elevator car.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Nov 17, 2016

As Patrick stated above, we have usually used Veracity converters to make use of the coax - PoE over coax makes it easier to install and maintain the long run. It has the added benefit to not require additional pairs for power.

(1)
SR
Samuel Rodgers
Nov 17, 2016

we've used NVT, ec-1701 for elevators without existing coax and run over 2-wire using baluns. nice thing about them is if there are multiple cabs, you only need 1 unit in the machine room and can use a quad splitter to each cab.

(2)
(1)
Ml
Mendy lewis
Nov 17, 2016
Safezone24

I'm using PTP radio (ubiquiti) small antennas, powering with Poe injector from elevator cart , works fine with 2-3 MP camera

tested so far up 6 floors

(1)
Jeffrey Hinckley
Nov 18, 2016

Not sure why baluns with the 1701. In almost all elevators, there is a spare pair of 16 or 18 gauge wires. Use this device, which also provides poe. Powered from machine room. You can run muliple cab trancievers from one in the machine room, but I normally price as a set per cab. I give a price over the phone to the customer, but inform them that the hourly cost of the elevator tech, who must be onsite with us, is on them.

BS
Brian Sharbowicz
Nov 18, 2016
IPVMU Certified

The NV-ET1801 works perfectly in an elevator. You will need a mini-dome IP camera (2.8mm or tighter) and a 2ft patch cable to connect your ethernet. Because you can power the 2nd NV-ET1801 on the other side (recorder), the existing 18/2 is not needed.

This may be pricey; however it's reliable and easy to service from the recorder side (power recycle, management, etc)

U
Undisclosed #2
Nov 19, 2016
IPVMU Certified

In almost all elevators, there is a spare pair of 16 or 18 gauge wires.

Is it twisted though?

MC
Marty Calhoun
Nov 21, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Yea-

If the elevator inspector allows connection of your devices. It been my experience that it is far from a 'free-run' inside the elevator controller to do as you please like a security alarm panel.

Doing Federal work I have had to put all elevator camera wiring in conduit inside the cab before!

Gert Molkens
Nov 19, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I've used DSL converters from Etherwan to get ethernet to Suprema fingerprint scanners in elevators cabs over the existing free spare wires of the elevator. Works well and reliable for over 6 years now

HF
Hunter Fort
Nov 20, 2016

Use MOBOTIX Mx2Wire media converters. They can transmit power and data over any existing 2 wires. Two screw down terminals on each unit for easy termination. These will pass power and data from your POE switch up to 1500' over a two conductor. IEEE 802.3af so just about any POE IP camera will work. https://www.mobotix.com/other/Products/Home-Automation/Mx2wire

MC
Marty Calhoun
Nov 20, 2016
IPVMU Certified

We have done many IP cameras in elevators. #1 Make sure you don't violate the elevator inspectors rules by plugging in power supplies in the service outlet. Have a second outlet added to the existing service outlet above the Cab ceiling. Always select the HIKVISION DS-2CD2532F-IWS 3mp IP Camera w/ audio as your IP camera of choice, purchase a 64g SD card and install in the camera. Also below is a very inexpensive TP Link 'wireless router'. Very easy to install, no travel cable conductors needed and whole project can be done for less than $ 250 including camera & router.

When you need to review clips a windows laptop with browser is all that is needed, no silly licensing involved, simply hit the camera a retrieve the needed clips. we generally get at minimum a week of material but when running on motion there is no definite rule of thumb.

Very easy to install, simple programming, no license needed

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Nov 20, 2016
IPVMU Certified

...we generally get at minimum a week of material but when running on motion there is no definite rule of thumb.

Criminals can take/destroy camera/evidence, no?

MC
Marty Calhoun
Nov 21, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Of course with the set-up I provided. However, if you have a customer that wants simplicity, has no conductors on travel cable, the wireless is an excellent option, not my first choice indeed. Even with a connected IP Camera a crook can run in with spray paint and game over. I always ask the electrical engineer to make sure he requires the Cat 5 in the travel cable but it does not always happen that way.

I was Just pointing out an optional way to do it.....

mh
mark holm
Nov 21, 2016

Thanks for everyone's well-informed comments. This information is very helpful, and much appreciated!

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions