Subscriber Discussion

IP Camera Growth Projections For The Next 3-5 Years

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Jun 15, 2016

What is the breakdown between IP and analog cameras shipped in 2015, and their projected growth (decline) over the next 3-5 years? Looking for a global view. Thanks.

U
Undisclosed #2
Jun 15, 2016
IPVMU Certified

For 2014 installed numbers, (not shipped)

IHS Reports 245 Million Security Cameras Are Installed Worldwide...

For 2015 the only IHS numbers I saw were these, though they don't break it out the same,

JH
John Honovich
Jun 15, 2016
IPVM

1, when you say shipped, do you mean units (as in X million cameras) or revenue (as in Y million dollars)? I assume units but want to check.

Over the next 3-5 years, there is going to be a lot of downward pressure on IP camera sales. I am not sure if units / revenue will actually decrease for IP, but the overall growth is already and will continue to go to HD analog.

Net/net, don't bet on IP cameras unless you are focusing on enterprise deployments. Already, the low end has mostly flipped to HD analog and a majority of the mid tier will likely follow by the end of the decade.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Jun 15, 2016

Thanks. Looking at units. I've seen some numbers (revenue figures) that show growth for both IP and HD analog cameras, with IP growing at a higher clip. Given costs of IP cameras will only go south, that would translate to more units being sold. But what you're saying makes a lot of sense as well- does this mean companies like Milestone will need to focus more on their NVR offerings as compared to their IP VMS?

JH
John Honovich
Jun 15, 2016
IPVM

show growth for both IP and HD analog cameras, with IP growing at a higher clip.

What numbers / sources specifically?

I think the problem is that a lot of forecasters missed the rise of HD analog. For example, a few months ago SIA / Freedonia Group did 'research' that totally omitted HD analog and just focused on the rise of IP. I think that's simply a function of being out of touch on a rapidly changing market.

Over the last 3 years, HD analog growth has exploded, IP is nowhere close. The total units for HD analog this year are going to be easily 30 million. I see HD analog continuing to take share as it gets more distribution, mindshare, resolution increases and manufacturer support.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions