Subscriber Discussion

IP Camera Failing Due To Vibration - Recommendations?

UD
Undisclosed Distributor #1
Oct 11, 2017

This customer's warehouse suffers intense vibration from the occasional forklift driver running into the building. So far two out of 16 cameras will not focus anymore. 

Does anyone know how to dampen these vibrations? These are dome cameras with no special mounting hardware as of yet. Also, they can't be moved from their current locations.

U
Undisclosed #2
Oct 11, 2017

How rickety is this warehouse...?

(1)
(1)
UD
Oct 11, 2017

Not sure. 

Jason Neubauer
Oct 11, 2017
IPVMU Certified

We use AXIS Q series domes in a warehouse with conveyors running.  The cameras are hung of the conveyor structure.  We chose these because of the EIS (electronic image stabilization) feature.  It has been running for a year without issue.

(1)
UD
Oct 11, 2017

Thanks for the suggestion. They would like to save the investment they already made. It isn't an option to swap the cameras out.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #4
Oct 11, 2017

I would tthen simply disable the autofocus feature.

U
Undisclosed #3
Oct 11, 2017

What camera models are they using?

UD
Oct 11, 2017

http://advidia.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/A-54-OD3.pdf

Brandon Knutson
Oct 11, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Is the cameras' defocus detection enabled?

(1)
UD
Oct 11, 2017

I will certainly look into this. Thank you.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Oct 11, 2017

This looks like a similar issue to some other cameras (not mentioning names). When the camera gets hit by a shock the spring mechanism in the lens assembly changes position which throws the camera out of focus. The only way to get it back is to reboot (and sometimes factory default) the camera so the lens can find it's home position and then refocus it. 

You can try installing a rubber damper pad behind the camera to see if that will help reduce the vibrations but your only solution may come down to finding a nice sturdy mounting point or put in a small barrier on ground level so fork lifts can't bump the walls. 

(1)
(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #4
Oct 11, 2017

What about just using cameras with fixed lenses?  Is that an option?

JM
Jesse Miller
Oct 11, 2017
IPVMU Certified

We had a problem with a windy alley causing a camera to constantly try and focus.  I am pretty sure we had to change the setup to manual focus so the vibrations would not cause the camera to attempt to auto adjust all the time.  But that was 6 year old IP technology at the time.  

U
Undisclosed #4
Oct 11, 2017

I think before we get any further with this discussion, you need to determine whether it’s the camera’s optics getting knocked out of whack, or the camera automatically refocusing itself due to a defocus option being enabled that causes the camera to refocus itself on what we assume to be vibration.  I sincerely doubt the vibrations are making this motorized focus module go out of focus, so there has to be another culprit.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #4
Oct 11, 2017

In reading the manual, it appears that “Smart Function 1.6E” is ‘Out of Focus Detection’, and that it is enabled by default.  Disable that.

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Oct 11, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I hate to be contrarian here, but the most prudent step for the customer to take is to train the forklift drivers not to run into the building, not stop at fixing the cameras.

(4)
(2)
Craig Mc Cluskey
Oct 11, 2017

I hate to be contrarian here, but the most prudent step for the customer to take is to train the forklift drivers not to run into the building, not stop at fixing the cameras.

As I said to an auto insurance company about one of their representatives a long time ago, "I suggest that the continuance of his employment be questioned."

(1)
Kevin Nadai
Oct 11, 2017

They would like to save the investment they already made. It isn't an option to swap the cameras out.

Reminds me of my technician days when an end user once told me to "Do whatever it takes -- as long as it doesn't cost me any money."

Back on topic, I agree the trick to try would be to disable autofocus. Is it a true day/night camera? If so, that might make the nighttime view unacceptable. 

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Oct 12, 2017

In most cases, I don't know why anyone installs a vari-focal camera anymore. And this is from an old timer who cut his teeth on analog box cams with these bad boys

With us it's fixed lens or PTZ.  Prices have dropped too much to spend time focusing a camera. 

(2)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #4
Oct 12, 2017

GetALoadOfThisGuy

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions