Subscriber Discussion

I Need A Lipstick.... Camera

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Dec 18, 2013

Although analog cameras have been miniaturized to the point that true bullet cams are accessible and affordable, our analog cameras' image quality leave a lot to be desired.

When I say "bullet camera," I'm looking for an imaging body about the size of a pen, rather than (for example) a paper towel roll, so if it has a ring if IR illuminators around the lens, it's probably too big.

Google isn't much help, because apparently when you say bullet, advertisers believe a 60mm mortar is more relevant than a 9mm Beretta. The top 3 results for "ip bullet camera" were:

(44mm/1-3/4" dia) DLink DCS-7010L HD Mini Bullet Outdoor Camera, seems like a decent POE cam but too big

(77mm/3" dia) Samsung SNO 6011R, likewise POE IP cam but too big

(unknown diameter) Q-See QCN7001B couldn't find diameter but too big per the images

It takes a fair amount of time to investigate the details, and I quit after the first 3 were not relevant.

In IP cameras, the closest I have seen is the Mobotix M14/M15 and the Axis P12. Mobotix is quite pricy and too big. Axis may be an adequate choice, but is there a larger set of choices? Also, is there anything that meets the traditional bullet form factor, even if it has a nearby remote "server"?

Thanks.

Ethan Ace
Dec 18, 2013

There are very few options for what you're after. The Axis M2014-E is actually the only one which comes to mind. I did some quick searching of smaller manufacturers and turned up nothing either.

I'm assuming you mean the Mobotix S15 which has remote sensors, by the way, not the M15.

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Dec 19, 2013

Thanks, you're right it's the Mobotix "S" series.

JH
John Honovich
Dec 18, 2013
IPVM

I think the term / category you are looking for is 'lipstick' cameras (e.g., Supercircuit's listing of bullet and lipstick cameras)

TC
Tango Charlie
Dec 18, 2013

Hikvision DS-2CD6412FWD 1.3Megapixel Covert

I don't have any real world experience with this, but might be worth a look?

Hikvision DS-2CD6412FWD 1.3 Megapixel Covert

Ari Erenthal
Dec 18, 2013
Chesapeake & Midlantic

Assuming you don't want to put an encoder on an analog lipstick camera, the Sony SNC-CH210 and the Axis M-2014E are the smallest cameras of which I am aware.

Luis Carmona
Dec 19, 2013
Geutebruck USA • IPVMU Certified

I was going to suggest the Sony CH110 or CH210 also.

It would help to know what the actual size constraints really were. (What are the biggest dimensions that would be acceptable.)

RD
Roman Dabrowski
Dec 23, 2013

I have just started looking into this one so I dont have any hands on experience yet but have a look: Vidcie

Ari Erenthal
Dec 23, 2013
Chesapeake & Midlantic

The Looxcie is a good camera, but it's self contained and battery operated, making it impractical to use in a surveillance system.

JH
John Honovich
Feb 24, 2014
IPVM
MI
Matt Ion
Feb 24, 2014

The KT&C looks to be about the same size as the Axis P1214-E (actually the Axis is about 3mm smaller diameter, at 20mm). Without knowing the full requirements here, perhaps something like a P1204 would work?

JH
John Honovich
Aug 15, 2014
IPVM
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions