JH
John Honovich
Apr 08, 2013
IPVM
JH
John Honovich
Apr 08, 2013
IPVM

With a trade show coming up this week, curious which one you feel you are.

Brian Rhodes
Apr 08, 2013
IPVMU Certified

For those unsure or unclear on what the definitions mean, see the explainations offered by the Myers-Briggs Foundation.

For the record, I like talking to people, and am more of an 'extrovert' than an 'introvert'.

Steve Beck
Apr 08, 2013

Ooh I'm think I'm 50/50 prolly more of an Extrovert these days

Marty Major
Apr 08, 2013
Teledyne FLIR

I'm an introverted extrovert

JH
John Honovich
Apr 08, 2013
IPVM

I am really surprised by how lopsided these results are. I am definitely an introvert.

BH
Bohan Huang
Apr 09, 2013

John I have to say that is a very surprising fact - given you are such a public figure.

JH
John Honovich
Apr 09, 2013
IPVM

Public on the Internet, not in real life!

SP
Sean Patton
Apr 08, 2013

I was required to take the M-B at one point in college... Extrovert here. Awkwardly Extroverted I'd say.

Luis Carmona
Apr 08, 2013
Geutebruck USA • IPVMU Certified

I'm introverted...... kind of like a trapdoor spider.

Christopher Freeman
Apr 08, 2013

It depends on how well i know the persons or crowd , environment

All my psch evaluations put me as an introvert, but once i know the people around me I open up.

I'm very closed, so my wife tells me . Guarded

I get lost in the crowd , but one on one I'm great.

I tend to be sarcastic with people and non understanding or matter of fact

Like great Long discussion s after I get to know you.

Very out going in my own environment which I control.

SP
Sean Patton
Apr 08, 2013

Did Chris just respond in haiku? Thats pro.

JH
John Honovich
Apr 08, 2013
IPVM

I am really stunned that overwhelmingly people are voting they are extroverts. I would have assumed that technical people would tend to be more introverted. I suppose in American culture, introverts are looked down upon?

Ethan Ace
Apr 08, 2013

Ok, I think there may be some difference in how people define these things. In the dictionary sense, extroverts are gregarious and outgoing. In the psychology sense, it means you prefer to be among people instead of by yourself.

I generally use the latter definition. I'm not very forward at all, but I do prefer being among people a lot of the time. Even if I don't really know anyone. Granted, I also like doing things alone, but I wouldn't say I prefer it. I just don't let lack of a partner keep me from doing things.

Ethan Ace
Apr 08, 2013

But also, holy crap those results are not what I expected, either.

CP
Carlton Purvis
Apr 08, 2013

Me either. Another way I've seen it explained:

Introvert = gets motivation and recharges from alone time and introspection.

Extrovert = gets motivation and recharges from being around people and getting that kind of social feedback.

Brian Rhodes
Apr 08, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Don't underestimate the bias that true introverts are unwilling to answer the poll question. Or even participate in something labeled a 'Discussion'.

JH
John Honovich
Apr 08, 2013
IPVM

But seriously, they can vote anonymously on a poll, can't they?

Brian Rhodes
Apr 08, 2013
IPVMU Certified

ha ha ha!

Marty Major
Apr 08, 2013
Teledyne FLIR

I really think the question itself is too vague....

I also think that most people find traits for both within themselves, but extrovert sounds less nerdy. (not that there's anything wrong with it).

In my own mind, I am a rabid introvert. But I didn't think anyone who's met me would buy that if I tried selling it.... :)

"Im not an extrovert, but I play one on T.V...."

JB
Jacob Bird
Apr 08, 2013
IPVMU Certified

It's worth noting that introverts make up less than one quarter of the population, so I think that these results are not necessarily out of place. I've heard it said that introverts are a minority of the population as a whole, but a majority of the creative population. I think that this community's mix of engineers, sales, and techs is a good population mix.

Personally, I can be very outgoing and gregarious, but I'm definitely an introvert.

JH
John Honovich
Apr 08, 2013
IPVM
JB
Jacob Bird
Apr 08, 2013
IPVMU Certified

John, good article. That actually covers the fact that being shy or having social anxiety are not actually related to being an invrovert/extrovert.

JH
John Honovich
Apr 09, 2013
IPVM

I strongly suspect that most high tech fields are dominated by introverts. That's been my experience in IT and in software development. I am not sure what these poll results say about our industry, especially since an online poll is likely to be skewed toward introverts.

Christopher Freeman
Apr 10, 2013

Update: So You think your one or the other

Ask yourself these Questions:

• Do you like Crowds,Congestion,Cities,Games,Closed areas with lots of people , Large Parties or the like?
  • Do you like to be in front of people , events , and able to speak your mind or be heard?
  • Do you like to Tell others , give the speech , be in front of the line or class?
  • Do you stand up with out reservation and speak your mind in front of people?

These are outward symptoms of a extrovert (a must be heard attitude) 1st born Trait , Leader Trait

On the other hand:

• Do you spend a lot of time by yourself , in thought , reasoning things out , researching , educating alone , on the computers , in front of non personable things or items which don't really respond emotionally?
  • Do you prefer to speak one on one , smaller crowds , areas of non conflict?
  • Do you spend most of your time alone, in areas where there is no confrontation?
  • Do you like Solitude , open areas , lots of space around you and your comfort level?

Then this is a symptom of an introvert , follower , 2nd or 3rd born , some traits carry over depends on birth order and where you had to be in your circumstances.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Apr 17, 2013

I had a previous 20 year career as a police officer. You cannot be an introvert.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions