Subscriber Discussion

Extreme Networks Introduces The First IP Camera With Integrated Wireless Access Point

MM
Michael Miller
Oct 25, 2016

Installing WIFI and cameras are two different animals. Now with these new WIFI/Cameras you can have bad WIFI coverage and bad camera coverage all from one convenient device. SMH

New WIFI/Camera unit

Introducing the FIRST Wireless Access Point with Integrated Surveillance Camera

Why buy separate IP surveillance cameras and Wi-Fi access points when you can get both in one easy-to-manage device? Save on space, cabling, power distribution, installation, time, and money with the industry’s first combination 802.11ac wave-2 Wi-Fi AP and high-definition surveillance camera.

The ExtremeWireless AP3916i Surveillance AP includes both an 802.11ac Wave 2 access point AND a 2-megapixel 1920x1080 surveillance camera with built-in microphone, all in one compact package. Just mount it in a central location to provide both Wi-Fi coverage AND video surveillance. Easy to install and manage.

Extreme is also introducing the AP3912i, a new 802.11ac Wave2 wall plate AP that provides unified wired and wireless connectivity, seamless control over connected devices and ease-of-use with its simple plug-and-play installation model.

ap-camera.PNG

(1)
Ethan Ace
Oct 25, 2016

And everyone says innovation is dead.

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Oct 25, 2016

I disagree, it is kind of a novel approach. It is easier to convince the client to deploy cameras if they're killing two birds with one stone. I'm sure the camera under-delivers on our expectations of surveillance but with some time and development it may expand into more. I can't comment on the quality or strength of the wireless AP part.

"Extreme is also introducing the AP3912i, a new 802.11ac Wave2 wall plate AP that provides unified wired and wireless connectivity, seamless control over connected devices and ease-of-use with its simple plug-and-play installation model."

Someone had this over a decade ago with obviously worse specs. I want to say it was 3COM. They also had a non-WIFI edge switch version. We would use these POE powered wall plates in the field to power up IP cameras and function as a switch for us to hook our laptops up to the camera. Required a Terrawave POE battery back. Kind of a jury rig, but until items like Veracity's battery pack / the Axis T8412 / others came along it was the best/cheapest way we could devise.

(1)
MM
Michael Miller
Oct 25, 2016

Integrator #1 WIFI APs need to be installed at specific locations for best WIFI coverage these locations are not the same locations where cameras would normally be installed for best coverage. With this product, you can have good WIFI coverage OR good camera coverage. Pick one

Not to mention I doubt having camera electronics embedded with WIFI antennas is going to anything positive for WIFI.

Also what happens if the customer needs more than one camera per room? Add more AP/cameras saturate the area with too much 2.4 or 5.8? Or do you pay more for an AP/Camera just to turn off the AP?

(3)
U
Undisclosed #2
Oct 26, 2016
IPVMU Certified

...what happens if the customer needs more than one camera per room...

You would hope it could at least turn itself into a wireless camera then, but I don't see that in the spec.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Oct 27, 2016

I agree with Michael. AP's are installed in a totally different location then most cameras are installed in. Deploying a camera in an AP is a total marketing gimmick and adds no or very little value to the product.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Oct 28, 2016

It is indeed a marketing gimmick, but it could be an effective one. When it comes to budgets on larger projects there is usually little money in the security budget compared to IT. Being able to pull from both makes it much more likely to sell. A poorly placed camera or a poorly placed AP is still a sale to Extreme.

It is much like the model that works for selling retail analytics. In a past life I deployed thousands of cameras for a retail analytics company as a subcontractor. They pitched that the camera could both fulfill a surveillance role and a retail analytics role. I never understood why anyone would think a single Axis 212 mounted at ceiling height, facing downward, and right in front of the entry door would capture anything other than top of head shots and blurry images everywhere else. It was horrible for security use. Either way, since the product was paid for out of both the marketing budget and the security budget it still sells quite well.

SP
Sean Patton
Nov 03, 2016

Is it April 1st?

Some Wifi manufacturers are now offering AC Wave 2 APs with 2nd Ethernet Ports that you can power another PoE Device off of (IP phone, Camera, SIP Speaker), and I think this is a generally okay idea. Extreme has this offering too, but the 2nd port doesn't actually put out power, despite being labeled that it does.

This is just a bad idea from a tiny niche player in the Wifi market, desperate for press, and grasping at straws with dropping net profit margins, and revenue. They have a strong wired infrastructure offering across the board, but they are not competitive in the wireless market.

(2)
Sean Nelson
Nov 03, 2016
Nelly's Security

I assume the video surveillance aspect can work off of wifi too right?

why couldnt you use it as a repeater type scenario. You have a router and a camera that is 50' away from router. Then you have a camera that is 100' away from router. The 50' gets great wifi signal, but the 100' doesnt. You could connect the 100' camera with the 50' camera and have success.

Kind of like zwave capabilities. Every device works as a repeater.

MM
Michael Miller
Nov 03, 2016

I think you mean MESH network. The problem with MESH networks is every time you hop you reduce your bandwidth by half. Not to mention you will need to power the camera/WIFI unit that doesn't have connectively. No clue if this product supports MESH networking and even if it did I would run away like the building was burning.

SP
Sean Patton
Nov 03, 2016

Im not 100% specific to this product, but in general, all Extreme Access Points support using one of their radios for establishing a Mesh connection between them.

U
Undisclosed #2
Nov 03, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Mesh would make it more interesting, for sure.

Also, more for homes than buildings...

SP
Sean Patton
Nov 03, 2016

I'd be shocked if these MSRP under $1200USD... also you would need a Wireless Controller, which would run you another $10-15k, yearly support on the controller and APs, a certified reseller to sell you the hardware and install it.

Aka not for home use.

U
Undisclosed #2
Nov 03, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Ah, got it.

So its really more like a high-end AP with a camera than a camera with wifi.

SP
Sean Patton
Nov 07, 2016

That is correct.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions