Subscriber Discussion

Hikvision IVMS 4200 Vs Video Insight Monitor Station For Viewing Multiple Cameras Live

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Mar 15, 2016

We recently installed a correctional facility with Video Insight and Advidia (HIKvision) cameras. We needed several 50" static displays that would display the same 8-16 cameras 24/7. No operator involvement, just observation. We purchased the newest Intel NUC micro computers to drive the viewing workstations with I-5 processors and Intel HD graphics. Really sharp little devices and will bolt on the back of a monitor. What we discovered was that the Video Insight Monitor Station client software was taxing the processor at nearly 100% to live display 16 cameras in a 4x4 grid.

On a whim, I installed the free IVMS-4200 and direct streamed the 16 Advidia cameras, bypassing the VI server. To my pleasant surprise/shock, the IVMS displayed the cameras at a much more fluid frame rate, and the processor utilization was a whopping 4%. We are using VI for the servers and the operators that need to review/archive video, but for all the live displays we are going with the IVMS-4200.

(2)
U
Undisclosed #2
Mar 15, 2016
IPVMU Certified

We are using VI for the servers and the operators that need to review/archive video, but for all the live displays we are going with the IVMS-4200.

Watch out that 4200 and VI don't step on each other's toes as they control settings and streams on the same set of cameras...

JH
John Honovich
Mar 15, 2016
IPVM

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. So does that mean the cameras are continuously sending out 2 streams simultaneously? If so, have you seen any drop off in frame rate or performance from the camera side? Just wondering.

JH
John Honovich
Mar 15, 2016
IPVM

Video Insight feedback:

We would suggest enabling the “2nd Stream” of the cameras. When enabled a layout with more than 4 cameras with automatically use the low res stream. Since we support around 3,500 camera models, we decided to not enable the 2nd stream by default - but recently started enabling it for all Advidia.

To enable, click on Second Stream under the “Advanced” tab on the cameras setup page.

Once enabled, you can confirm the stream size under the live image in setup.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions