Subscriber Discussion

Intercom System For School Recommendations?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Feb 24, 2017

I have an opportunity too install a new school-wide intercom system with about 100 stations across five buildings. Being that the campus is spread out, I'm leaning towards an IP system. Any recommendations?

Faris AlZamel
Feb 24, 2017
Zamco Security Systems Co.

I would recommend jacques.com.au , they would have the intercom stations and easily you can add the cameras and PA system into it, by cameras i meant over each station integrated into the platform.

JR
John Robinson
Feb 24, 2017

IP makes sense with the multiple buildings.  You might take a look at the Ubiquiti AP-AC EDU.  Might be overkill if they've already got wifi, but this would essentially give you excellent wifi to every classroom along with the 2 way intercom audio.  (disclaimer, I haven't installed any yet, but they look great).  They retail about $400 per unit, but all POE+ powered and most schools have IDF's in each building wing.  

If that won't work, then the traditional guys, Bogen, Telecor, etc. may be your only options. 

(2)
MM
Michael Miller
Feb 24, 2017

Are you looking for an intercom system or a paging system?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Feb 24, 2017

Needs to be intercom

Brian Rhodes
Feb 24, 2017
IPVMU Certified

20 Stations per building sounds big!  Are these going to be installed in every classroom?

Is this a PA-mass notification type system, or will every station be a calling point too?

In North America, brands like Commend and Stentofon are IP-centric brands, although they will be pricey compared to analog based systems from Aiphone.

Cameron Javdani
Feb 24, 2017
Louroe Electronics

If there are IP cameras installed at the intercom locations we (Louroe) make 2 way audio units to piggyback on to them.

MM
Michael Miller
Feb 24, 2017

You can use VOIP video intercoms like what Axis and 2N have with a VOIP phone system.  The door stations get setup as extensions in the phone system and you can route the calls to any phone or softphone you have in the system..

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Mar 26, 2018

In Germany where there is one of the first policies to widely install intercom in the classes of schools, Commend has become the facto solution ...check them out

(1)
Brandon Knutson
Mar 26, 2018
IPVMU Certified

At our district we've started installing the 2N IP Force door intercoms with Grandstream GXV3275 IP desk phones. Excellent audio quality, but the built in camera doesn't have WDR and the H.264 only streams at 640x480 to our VMS. We licensed the 2N's so they stream video to our VMS for recording.

Our set-up is simple, intercom and phones to network switch, communicating to each other via SIP, no PBX integration.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions