Integrators: What Tools Do Your Technicians Supply? Which Are Company Owned?

Ethan Ace
Sep 07, 2017

Reading comments on the Favorite Network Termination Tools survey got me thinking about this. Which tools are integrator technicians expected to bring to the job? Which are supplied by the company? 

Also curious about the philosophy behind these decisions and where the cutoff is. Take this poll:

Ethan Ace
Sep 07, 2017

In my experience it's swung various ways.

On my first job we were required to supply hand tools only. Anything powered was up to the company, and they maintained a slew of test equipment (cable and fiber testing). Specialty tools like large ratcheting cable cutters or conduit benders were also company supplied. Honestly I ended up buying a lot of my own stuff anyway so I always had it when I needed it...which is why I still have a ratcheting cutter that'll go through an OSP 600 pair.

After that, it was the opposite. We brought everything to the job, but the required tool list was a lot shorter. We also didn't do as much out and out cabling so really expensive testers/certifiers were generally another contractor's responsibility, but having a meter and something to test wiremap was necessary. Power tools were our own, as well.

I should note that at both anything destroyed on the job was typically replaced on the company. That was a nice benefit. 

Daniel S-T
Dec 19, 2017

My first job had a really weird idea of what to provide and not provide.

They did not provide hand tools, or power tools, but did provide fish tape, fish sticks, and staplers, and all the consumables.

Second company provided everything, apparently. I already had all the hand tools I would need, and figured I got them, may as well use them. They gave me a new drill.

Now with my third company, and they again provide everything, but I choose to use my own hand tools, because they provide cheap tools, and I spent a good amount of time finding good and decent hand tools. If I don't use them at work, they won't get used at all, work will replace if I break something of mine.

U
Undisclosed #4
Dec 19, 2017
IPVMU Certified

They did not provide hand tools, or power tools, but did provide fish tape, fish sticks...

Teach a man to fish...

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Sep 07, 2017

You need to add another box to the voting, we supply all tools including screwdrivers and more believe it or not More meaning Breakfast and Lunch more days than not, we keep a stocked kitchen and cook meals in house for the staff, small company 37+ employees but growing. Employees like this approach, raises would cost me more than the food and tools combined when you consider the Taxes I get to add on to the cost. Oh yea, everyone has a considerably new Ford F-150 Dual-Cab pick up fully outfitted to keep 24/7. I have worked at companies that give nothing and expect everything. How about the employer treating people as they would like to be treated? Do you think I am crazy? Well I have a staff of folks that get the job done, are professional, dont whine and complain and seem to appreciate the company more. Not unlike the Chinese that choose to respect the employer and the job, but lets dont get into that!

(3)
UD
Undisclosed Distributor #3
Sep 08, 2017

This sounds like a nice place to work. I think perks like this goes longer than a small raise. You can pretty much never get enough money, so a raise is easily forgotten. Perks like free breakfast or lunch with your company colleagues builds team spirit and can also work like a forum to discuss and solve work related issues.

Where I've worked previously the bosses would always order tools, equipment and vehicles from the cheap end of the catalogue.

For vehicles especially, techs that use the vehicles all day for work get a crapmobile, while the boss (that doesn't need a vehicle for work) drive around in an expensive SUV. 

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Dec 18, 2017

We provide a lunch allowance for Engineers. Office based staff get dinner if they work late. 

Everyone gets 25 days holidays plus 10 public holidays. Plus the period between Christmas and New Years off.

The challenge is that Engineers only compare their salaries and forget to factor in the perks so we are at risk of losing out to those who pay a higher salary on face value. 

Daniel S-T
Dec 19, 2017

A lot of people think like this. I am even guilty of it myself. I took a job with a new company just over a year ago. Wage was a huge step up, but I also lost the use of a company vehicle. This drastically increased my fuel costs. So in the end, I'm making about the same.

Now granted I did not leave just because of the wage, it was a terrible environment only getting worse, but I really thought I had struck it big, not realizing just how much fuel would cost me having to use my own vehicle for work.

U
Undisclosed #4
Oct 20, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Not unlike the Chinese that choose to respect the employer and the job, but lets dont get into that!

?

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Sep 07, 2017

Union company here so the list of tools the techs are required to provide themselves is very small.

(1)
Christopher Freeman
Oct 20, 2017

As a owner for many years and growing up in the trades 

I have seen both sides and feel that when something belongs to you , you take better care of it. more of an ownership thing.

Value is the key

Pride in your job, your company, your dreams and vision for tomorrow

When You are given everything an you don't have to work for it.

YOU loose respect or pride in yourself

you tend to be careless with items given and don't value them as much as if you earn, pay for, and have a personal part in the acquisition of .

And I dont think this is just tools , I believe it is trucks, equipment, personal property .

I have seen so much flat out disrespect for others property, and lack of pride because it does not matter to the one given it.

That is why there should always be a reward program for good behavior, good work , great performance, Job well done.

Tools have to be earned and pride in the care of.  

(3)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions