Integrators, Do You Make Your Field Techs Bring Their Own Person Laptops?

JH
John Honovich
Oct 09, 2016
IPVM

I just saw a job listing that included this requirement:

- Own a laptop and be comfortable with port forwarding and basic networking with standard routers from COX, ATT and Time Werner, as well as Netgear, Linksys router.

One, if you are wondering how video surveillance systems get part of a bot net army, look no further to integrators that advertise port forwarding.

Two, it just strikes me as weird that the integrator requires the employee to bring their own laptop. So...

John Bazyk
Oct 10, 2016
Command Corporation • IPVMU Certified

Never. We provide them with a laptop and put TeamViewer on it. Our technicians almost never touch the laptop, we have office staff that remote into the laptop when the tech is on-site to do almost all technical programming. There're a few reasons for this. One, we want to control the laptop, and don't want the techs taking something they shouldn't. Two the tech has better things to do than to sit there and play around with programming a VMS, Intrusion system or figure out how to port forward different routers.

(2)
(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Oct 10, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Two the tech has better things to do than to sit there and play around with programming a VMS, Intrusion system or figure out how to port forward different routers.

So you have non-technical people do the port forwarding?

John Bazyk
Oct 10, 2016

No, we have technical support personnel at our main office who do all programming remotely. They are dedicated to all things programing, including changes in how systems function, passcode changes, user adds/deletes for our customers.., etc. We are of the opinion that a technician who is on-site should be inspecting the physical integrity of the system rather than sitting at a computer. We have a list of inspection tasks all of the technicians go through while on-site. While they're performing that inspection our office staff is remoting in, to perform software changes. We want our technicians in and out as quickly as possible.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Oct 10, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Does the remote tech manage the on-site worker, or vice versa? I assuming there must be a decent amount of coordinatination going on.

John Bazyk
Oct 10, 2016

They work as a team to figure out the problem or install the new system. Every install and service call is different. Each office or field tech has separate responsibilities due to strengths, so they work together to resolve the issue.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Oct 10, 2016
IPVMU Certified

They work as a team to figure out the problem or install the new system... Each office or field tech has separate responsibilities due to strengths, so they work together to resolve the issue.

If you have figured out a way to make a bunch of smart people all work together without a manager, you are doing something right.

(2)
Brian Rhodes
Oct 10, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I very often see mechanic jobs or trade skill positions (machinists, electricians) that 'must have own tools'.

Granted, these typically aren't the best jobs with the best companies, but this sort of requirement isn't without a long precedent in other trades.

(1)
Hal Bennick
Oct 10, 2016
Trafficware, a CUBIC Company

I always thought that was a litmus test for hiring a new person. If you have no idea how to fix a car, you probably won't have a $5000 Snap-On rig. If you don't know how to sweat a copper pipe, you probably don't have an arc welding in your truck.

(1)
Brian Karas
Oct 10, 2016
IPVM

If someone attempts to sweat a copper pipe with an arc welder, they are most likely NOT a good plumber.

(4)
(7)
Hal Bennick
Oct 10, 2016
Trafficware, a CUBIC Company

And this is why I probably won't be applying for that job!

If it's mechanical or electrical, I can usually fix it. If it's edible, I can cook it. If it's wood or plumbing, I can make it worse.

(1)
(1)
Brian Rhodes
Oct 10, 2016
IPVMU Certified

(1)
(5)
U
Undisclosed #1
Oct 10, 2016
IPVMU Certified

(3)
John Bazyk
Oct 10, 2016

We require our techs to purchase their tools. Mostly because they all have preferences and sometimes they lose tools. This helps them be a little more productive and responsible. When it comes to cellphones, tablets and laptops. We provide the electronics. We also provide cable testing equipment.

Armando Perez
Oct 10, 2016
Hoosier Security and Security Owners Group • IPVMU Certified

We provide large tools and disposables:

laptop, phone, drill, hammer drill, ladders, CCTV tester, drill bits, RJ45 crimper, but only because we want them using only the the platinum EZRJ.

They provide hand tools and small tools.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Oct 10, 2016

Union company here so I expect this is a bit different than most. Techs are required to bring very basic tools per contract... Almost too basic IMO. We furnish the gang boxes, ladders, vehicles, consumables, laptops, phones, tablets, medical kits, testers, labellers, etc. Most other tools are a phone call away from myself or one of the other PMs for approval to use their company card. Quite a bit more burden for us office employees at times but it is only fair. Can't expect cable certifier test results and expect the techs to go buy a Fluke on their own dime.

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Oct 11, 2016

As one of the aforementioned field techs, I'll say that my employer has never required us to have laptops... despite the fact that our job would be difficult if not impossible in many instances without one. ("Can't you just use their other computer?")

When we first started working with megapixel IP cameras (IQEye), the boss decided "we" should have a laptop, with suitably high resolution to take full advantage of these new marvels. It essentially became "his" laptop; I don't think I ever got to take it into the field. ("Can't you just use their other computer?")

I did manage to convince them to split the cost of a new one with me, once...

But we've never actually been required to have one for the job.

U
Undisclosed #1
Oct 11, 2016
IPVMU Certified

("Can't you just use their other computer?")

I did manage to convince them to split the cost of a new one with me, once...

Does your employer see the value in IPVM or does he say "Can't you just read SecuritySystemsNews?" ;)

(4)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Oct 12, 2016

"Can't you just use their other computer?"

Unbelievable... In this day and age that would be a phrase that would prompt me to immediately bail out.

I can't imagine how much all of the wasted hours have cost.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions