IPVM
(1)
JH
John Honovich
May 12, 2017
IPVM

In that thread, a Dahua sales person tries to convert the integrator:

There has been a fair amount of complaints about HikConnect, e.g.:

And we have reported issues in our test: Hikvision Discontinued 'Migration' Tested

What are Hikvision dealers seeing here? Good or bad?

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
May 12, 2017

I do believe that Hik-Connect still has a long way to go.

For our clients who have multiple sites (Condo Managers and Property Managers), we use no-ip as the DDNS and just have the connect directly. No issues to date with this method.

(1)
(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
May 12, 2017

Wouldn't that make the system available to the back-door issues?  That is the reason many are getting away from DDNS and Port-forwarding.  Are you installing a VPN or something to mitigate that?

(3)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
May 13, 2017

From my understanding of the issue, the HikDDNS was susceptible because the serial numbers were linked somehow to the system. Potential hackers could do something like http://xxx.xxx.xxx/HikSN (oversimplified as I am not 100% on how they went about it), which means you can go through the serial numbers much quicker than scanning a massive IP range.

No-IP has no such link as far as I know - I have my sitename.no-ip.com:8010 and have not had any hacking attempts thus far.

The weakness was within Hik's DDNS implementation, not the actual use of DDNS. As for the backdoor issue, all Hik equipment is supposedly susceptible. Setting up a VPN for client sites is done (I have VPN access to all), but the clients are not as tech savvy and do not really "get" the need for the VPN nor do they want to activate the VPN to quickly check in to their sites. There are certainly ways around this, but we all have budgets to adhere to.

MC
Marty Calhoun
May 13, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Sorry to hear about your issue, it can be resolved if you connect with the right team member in your area, dont give up.Also explore HIK-CENTRAL which is specifically designed with MULTIPLE site clients in mind. Very easy to implement, especially if you have existing HIKVISION recorders and cameras. Its a new platform, I have installed it and it works great.

MC
Marty Calhoun
May 13, 2017
IPVMU Certified

They do care, very much as a matter of fact. Who are you speaking to about your issue? Have you consulted any of the RSM guys in your immediate area? There are many on staff that can (if needed) come to you for local support. Get a hold of the local RSM explain your problem, they are there to help so give them a try.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions