Installer Gives 6 Day Notices For 8 Week Leave - What To Do?

JH
John Honovich
Aug 11, 2017
IPVM

This was in Kirschenbaum's newsletter August 9th:

I had an employee come to me last week to inform me he is going out for 8 weeks for elective surgery, providing only 6 days notice for the 8 week leave. He further told me that it could be done in September but he and his family want to get it done sooner.  I asked him to please consider the hardship he is placing on the business and co-workers and to schedule for September. He did not consider my request.

Kirschenbaum addresses the legal aspects, in particular the US Family Medical Leave Act as well as the employee being able to classify for disability and impact of those elements.

From an operational standpoint, what would you do in this type of situation?

Mark Jones
Aug 11, 2017

In general, and it depends upon the State and the illness. 30 days notice is required and would be considered reasonable.  6 days is unreasonable.  (Also, typically if your company has fewer than 50 employees the FMLA does not apply). 

We try our very best to accommodate medical and family medical needs without question.  Elective surgery should be discussed and agreed upon to minimize the impact on everyone.  The procedure could have been performed in September, but that would have been inconvenient for their family; not a hardship, but an inconvenience.  

There is never good time for an employee to take 8 weeks leave.  

The owner, CEO, whoever has to decide how they want to run their business; what kind of workplace they want to have. 

As for me, I would allow them the 8 weeks, but I would make at least a mental note, if not an actual note in their file.  Consideration for others is an important character trait. 

(4)
(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Aug 11, 2017

I would be upset and disappointed, then I'd get over it and work around it.  

Sure, it's inconsiderate and unplanned but you really only see one side and rarely would an employee share the entire story.

If they fell off a ladder on your job site and broke both legs, requiring weeks in hospitalization and subsequent rehabilitation would you work around it?  Of course.

Would you step up to the plate and take their kids to school, grocery shop, mow the lawn and all the things they might do after hours personally?  You would certainly feel bad, but it's unlikely.

Just a thought from a guy who had no problem firing his friend over frequent tardiness because it was killing moral. 

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 11, 2017

Randomness exists in business so do not underestimate the impacts of improbable real life scenarios. The employee must adhere to the consultation from a Family First philosophy. 

His decision leaves you with the burden, time will pass and you will gain experience. Realize at any moment change happens.

(1)
JH
Jay Hobdy
Aug 11, 2017
IPVMU Certified

There are a lot of things to consider. Size of company, employees past history, etc. Is he pretty selfish or is he a team player? There may be factors like insurance, spouse having vacation time to assist, maybe a need to be recovered before another big event..

But if this was just completely selfish, I would be looking for a replacement and let him know his 8 weeks can be 80 weeks. Of course making sure all legal aspects are covered.

U
Undisclosed #3
Aug 12, 2017

"There are a lot of things to consider. Size of company, employees past history, etc."

agreed.  If the integrator is a 3 or 4 person operation, then this decision is much more difficult to 'work around'.

If the installer was 1 of 8 at a larger regional integrator, then this 8 week absence is much easier to work around.

U
Undisclosed #4
Aug 13, 2017
IPVMU Certified

8 weeks is a longer recovery than most cosmetic improvements take, so maybe whatever it is (rotator cuff, knee arthroscopy, Achilles tendon etc.), will make him better, stronger, faster, like Steve Austin.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions