Install Pet Peeve: Loose Dome Gaskets

Ethan Ace
Oct 20, 2016

Recently, we've tested a few cameras that have had really loose weather gaskets.

For example, this Hikvision dome:

Or Samsung:

And last, this extra floppy one in a Longse dome that falls out at the slightest touch:

This is annoying, but also a practical problem, as the gasket keeps falling down while trying to put the dome cover on. It can be pinched and deformed or even broken, which could allow moisture to penetrate the dome.

Is anyone else seeing issues like this?

(4)
Eric Taylor
Oct 20, 2016
Pelco Inc.

Best Practice - carry a small tube of silicone grease in your tool bag. A thin layer applied around the gasket will hold it in place, help create a better seal, and helps prevent the gasket from dry rot.

(2)
(7)
Brian Rhodes
Oct 20, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Also you can put a dab on your buddy's cellphone earhole for lots of laughs!

(7)
JG
Jeff Gack
Oct 20, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I'll try the silicone grease on the gasket Eric, sounds like a great idea.

SD
Sinisa Dumanic
Oct 21, 2016

I have the same problem with American Dynamics dome. Since then I use silicone grease.

(1)
DW
Dennis Widdows
Oct 21, 2016

Yes using 3 x Logic domes< OEM HIK> I have seen it the last 5 or 6 units we have gotten...

(1)
Ethan Ace
Feb 16, 2017

Here's a fresh example, a Uniview 4MP dome. I took the dome off and the gasket fell right out, no touching even. There's gotta be a better way here.

(2)
Sean Nelson
Feb 16, 2017
Nelly's Security

they just need to glue those suckers in

Jon Dillabaugh
Feb 17, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

SAME!!!! For sure a pet peeve!!!

Hikvision and Dahua both have issues, but the worst so far is the CB130 junction box from Hik. We just installed some 2742 domes yesterday and needed the junction box for the insane whip on that dome. The gasket is surely never going to be effective as it is near impossible to get it to stay in proper alignment while mounting the camera to it.

(2)
(1)
JG
Jeff Gack
Feb 17, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I struggle with these gaskets all the time.

I've tried a lot of different way to get them to stay in place.

3M super 33 contact adhesive seems to help and automotive trim adhesive works pretty well but I can only find it in black which can make a mess on you junction box or camera.

The manufacturer really needs to address this and either glue the gaskets in place at the factory or design the to fit into the groove properly so they will stay put.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions