Install Critique: Improve This Conduit Install

Brian Rhodes
Feb 12, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Take a look at this:

How would you run cable to this camera in EMT or Rigid without the fantastic clearance bends for the existing pipes?

(2)
Matt Lullove
Feb 12, 2018
charcoalhat

1. use a mounting box to step off the wall the necessary distance to clear the pipes with a rigid conduit then likely a service LB for a clean turn at the top and brace there i suppose.

or

2. come down the crease of the wall and turn once youre under the obstruction.

or

3. move the camera to above the obstruction.

(2)
(1)
(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Feb 12, 2018

Looks like the camera needs a back box so that the pipe can be properly attached. 

The offsets to go over the obstruction could either be much less or the pipe could be routed to the right and then around. 

The top should be finished off cleaner. Maybe a JB then a BX style connector before the cable is free aired. 

Tapcons should be going into the block to make sure they don't pull out. 

(1)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Feb 13, 2018

They could have turned the base and done a single 90 to go vertical a couple of feet to the right, bypassing any offsets.

They could have use raise conduit clamps with a single offset at the box and go above the conduit. 

They could learn to bend shorter offsets. 

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Feb 13, 2018
IPVMU Certified

To me, mounting the dome on a backbox seems the easiest method of dealing with the existing tubes.  I think whoever installed this put in way more work than needed, and it just plain looks bad.

(1)
DP
Donald Peters
Feb 13, 2018
IPVMU Certified

I'm not sure who installed this but some mentor-ship would go a long way.  A senior tech to teach him / her how to bend an appropriate sized offset and where to set the anchors since anchors in the mortar joint tend to not last very long.  This wasn't a failure by the installer, it was a failure by those that educated the installer.  Just my 2 cents.    

(2)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Feb 13, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Is that the correct method for installing steam whistles?

;)

(7)
CR
Chad Rohde
Feb 13, 2018

I thought somebody forgot their coffee mug.

WTF is that?? Makes a good diversion from the ugly conduit.  

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Feb 13, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Just wait, Brian will know what it is...

Brian Rhodes
Feb 13, 2018
IPVMU Certified

I have no idea what  this is.  And I've put some effort into figuring it out, too.

Brandon Knutson
Feb 13, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Echo/Alexa prototype, back when she really didn't listen to you and knew even less

(3)
SD
Shannon Davis
Feb 13, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Industrial strength Pringle's can.

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Feb 13, 2018
IPVMU Certified

It sort of looks like an empty 105mm howitzer shell, ie:

CR
Chad Rohde
Feb 13, 2018

Definitely does.

And it's been bugging me all day too. I'm putting my money on it being a can light or something similar with a different name. 

I bet it is screwed into that j-box.

EDWARD STOESSEL
Feb 13, 2018

I would use a back box for the Camera with a conduit entry and bend smaller saddles in the conduit

(1)
Daniel S-T
Feb 13, 2018

I mean I can admit saddle bends are the hardest bend for me. I've never done very good at them and clearly this installer feels the same and just went bananas with it. That's really the only issue. Figure out how to do better/proper saddle bends and it would look fine.

And yeah, that camera should have a back box.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Feb 13, 2018

That is so horrible.  That has to be a joke (you would think).

SD
Shannon Davis
Feb 13, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Seems to me they could have run the pipe down the right side then bend a 90 over to the camera. That would have been much easier if you are not proficient at bending conduit. Heck you don't even have to know how to measure for a 90, just cut off the extra. If the camera would have had a back box then no offset would have been needed just some hangers like the conduit on the right side of the picture. 

(2)
(1)
CR
Chad Rohde
Feb 13, 2018

Seems to me they could have run the pipe down the right side then bend a 90 over to the camera.

I agree. Easier, faster, looks better, and matches the previous work the best. 

If the camera would have had a back box then no offset would have been needed just some hangers like the conduit on the right side of the picture.

Well you could probably make it work, but those hangers won't have enough clearance for 1/2" emt.  A little bit of physical persuasion can fix that quite easily.

I think the installer would have better results doing it just about any way other than his replica of the worlds tallest water slide. Maybe just got back from vacation.

Image result for tube water coaster

(1)
SD
Shannon Davis
Feb 13, 2018
IPVMU Certified

I was thinking more of the conduit back box made for the camera. Typically that is just the right distance.

AXIS T94H01P Conduit Back Box

CR
Chad Rohde
Feb 13, 2018

Still need at least one hanger at top. It wouldn't be perfect, but definitely would look better, and easier to install. Those emt clamps are easy to bend to add some extra distance off the wall if needed.

AB
Aaron Bartling
Feb 13, 2018

You should have mounted the conduit on uni-strut to clear the other conduits instead of the huge offsets. Also not sure if this is outside but if so the stub of pipe at the top will fill you camera with water.....

(1)
CR
Chad Rohde
Feb 13, 2018

I think this would be the correct way to do it for new work, although I wouldn't like the looks of it not matching the old work. 

U
Undisclosed #5
Feb 13, 2018

Omg that is so epic. Are those sheet rock screws lagged into the mortar and not the cinderblock? I'm dying.....

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions