Subscriber Discussion

In New Jersey Do The The Boxes That The Fire Alarm Strobes Go Into Need To Be Special?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Sep 07, 2016

In New Jersey do the the boxes that the fire alarm strobes and pull station go into (the recessed ones) need to be anything special or can they be the standard low voltage ones?

Thank you

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Sep 07, 2016

I'm a California boy so I'll give the best answer I can in short order as this is a video/access/intrusion group.

Depending on the adopted local electrical code based on the building type and occupancy they could allow anything from open approved fire wire above 8' and wires fished through walls with cut in rings, to rigid metallic pipe installed with special flush mounting boxes (New York City Schools).

Having a NICET certification and the required C10 Electrical Contractors license made this knowledge in California at arms reach, but that was about 15 years ago and now they have those crazy low frequency notification appliances!

All I had to do was look up the type of system required in NFPA101, check requirements for detection and notification in NFPA72 and then see what the NEC and AHJ's wanted different based on local adopted code.

There is likely an integrator who does all in New Jersey but will need as a minimum the dwelling type, occupancy and jurisdiction to help.

(1)
John Bazyk
Sep 07, 2016
Command Corporation • IPVMU Certified

In NJ it depends on the city, you're installing the fire alarm system. Each municipality is different. If you don't have a lot of experience in NJ, I would highly recommend hiring an experienced local professional sub-contractor to do the job for you.

Looking up code is great, but NJ is such a mess that you can't rely on what you learn from reading the code.

(1)
(1)
Ari Erenthal
Sep 07, 2016
Chesapeake & Midlantic

Endorsed and cosigned. It depends on what kind of mood the AHJ is in.

DW
David Westberry
Sep 07, 2016
IPVMU Certified

"It depends on what kind of mood the AHJ is in."

Is there any place where this isn't true? (In the US)

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions